PDA

View Full Version : The Ship Online release thread.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Arrowhead
07-11-06, 12:33 PM
www.theshiponline.com

it's coming shortly folks, get it while it's still hot! :cool:

irc://irc.gamesurge.net/theship
#theship at irc.gamesurge.net

CaptNKILL
07-11-06, 01:13 PM
www.theshiponline.com

it's coming shortly folks, get it while it's still hot! :cool:

irc://irc.gamesurge.net/theship
#theship at irc.gamesurge.net
Oh crap! I have to get this!

I used to play The Ship all the time when it was a Half-Life 1 mod. FANTASTIC game. Totaly original. Nothing like it anywhere else, I guarantee it.

I'm going to buy this right now :D

EDIT: BTW guys, its $14.95 right NOW. As soon as its released (later today) it will be $19.95.

My order is through. :thumbsup:

Thanks for reminding me about this Arrowhead. :D

Zelda_fan
07-11-06, 01:31 PM
This game actually sounds pretty cool.

CaptNKILL
07-11-06, 01:54 PM
If they havent changed the gameplay too much since the original, its a TON of fun.
Heres a scenario:

You're blending into a crowd in the dining room, talking to people (mostly NPCs) hoping to identify your target, then you see someone dash out of the room into the kitchen. You chase them, and you see that its the one person in the room you havent talked to yet (no name is displayed when you target them). It has to be your target. They run into a storage room. You follow. Its dark. You walk in farther. *BAM*, you get shot in the back... you were their target too :D

Im so glad they got this thing out for sale, people who can make original games deffinitely deserve our $$$. :)

Arrowhead
07-11-06, 06:22 PM
Just got off of a jammed packed server. there's plenty of people online right now(servers are all full), and everybody in the server I was in is loving it. I just kept losing myself in the ships.

the maps are great, lots of exploring yet to do. And the gameplay is beyond what I expected. I had a big grin on my face the whole time I was playing.

:D

CaptNKILL
07-11-06, 07:18 PM
Im still trying to get into it. All of the servers have crappy pings and the one game I played ran like crap the whole time... jerking all over and getting stuck on people.

Its also very hard to find anything in the levels. It was much easier to learn the levels in the original version. There are also FAR less beds and weapons, the most important things in the game.

Its also a bit anoying how slow you move, but it could just be because I've been playing some pretty fast paced games lately.

I'm just getting my complaints out of the way now so I can hopefully enjoy it more when theres a decent server available :p. I think all of the current ones must be from outside the US or something. I dont think there are any official servers either.

|MaguS|
07-11-06, 07:24 PM
Must not spend money.... blew 13 grand this week.... must wait...

CaptNKILL
07-11-06, 07:29 PM
Must not spend money.... blew 13 grand this week.... must wait...
13 grand? On what? :wtf:

Zelda_fan
07-11-06, 07:30 PM
13 grand? On what? :wtf:

I'm guessing a car

|MaguS|
07-11-06, 07:31 PM
I'm guessing a car

Yup! :D

Bought a new car this week, hehe.

CaptNKILL
07-11-06, 07:42 PM
Yup! :D

Bought a new car this week, hehe.
Oh come on, whats another $19.95? :D

|MaguS|
07-11-06, 07:45 PM
Oh come on, whats another $19.95? :D

Alot when I don't get paid till the end of the month, Im living off my savings still. Next purchase for me is a house, im thinking atleast...

CaptNKILL
07-12-06, 01:14 AM
Man, this game has a lot of potential but the lamers make it almost unplayable.

Its really difficult to do well as it is, but there are people who just walk around shooting innocent players the whole time. In effect, its the same as team killing in any other game, except they dont get kicked or banned for it.

This seriously needs some work. I tried to play 3 different servers tonight. One had too many people in it (anything over 6 will suck for a new player, its as simple as that...) and I could barely breathe without getting killed, and the other two ended up having one player go nuts and start randomly killing everyone. The big nasty penalty for that is that it takes money away... assuming the player actually gives a crap about the money, thats a decent way to handle it. But if they dont, then it really doesnt even effect them at all.

This really needs some balancing work...

Also, the stamina (used for sprinting) takes far too long to charge.

At this point, I deffinitely prefer the old (free) version of this...

This one has more potential because of the new engine, but its just not doing anything for me at all right now. I hope they can eliminate some of the excruciatingly anoying parts soon, because I really want to just be able to sit and play this game.

EDIT: I just read that the murderer kicking system is bugged right now, and is being fixed. So that is just a temporary problem. :thumbsup:

nVidi0t
07-12-06, 01:22 AM
That was precisely the reason I didn't pre-purchase the game. It sounds fantastic but seems a little too ambitious. Tell me how it turns out..

superklye
07-12-06, 01:28 AM
Is there a demo?

CaptNKILL
07-12-06, 01:31 AM
That was precisely the reason I didn't pre-purchase the game. It sounds fantastic but seems a little too ambitious. Tell me how it turns out..
Its just strange, I dont remember this being such a big problem back when it was a half life mod.

Maybe once this thing leaves the news page in steam there will be less asshats playing and more people who actually want to play correctly. Its still really sad that they didnt put anything into the game to counter this crap.

Itd be so simple. Anyone with a score of -$2500 or less, gets kicked and temp banned for 10 minutes. Problem solved. No one has any legitimate reason to get that kind of score unless they dont know how to play, in which case they should play offline until they learn.

Its actually pretty fun playing offline with the computer. I was surprised at how the AI actually plays similarly to the way a human does, just not as perceptive (ie, noticing when you keep ducking into a room whenever they look your way).

EDIT: I just read that the murderer kicking system is bugged right now, and is being fixed. So that is just a temporary problem. :thumbsup:

nVidi0t
07-12-06, 01:37 AM
I'm sure they will implement something like that in the near future, but honestly, that's such a shame :(

CaptNKILL
07-12-06, 04:06 AM
I'm sure they will implement something like that in the near future, but honestly, that's such a shame :(
Actually, I just read some posts on the official forums, its a bug. Somehow the server side settings that kick players for killing innocents isnt working on all servers. They are working on a fix right now. I wouldnt be surprised if it was fixed within the next week (thats just me saying that though).

Superfly
07-12-06, 04:06 AM
any screenies?

rek075
07-13-06, 04:28 PM
I found this game awesome to play. I didn't have any problems with lamers myself, so maybe I just got lucky. Anyway, here are some funny stories of experiences in the game:

http://forum.theshiponline.com/showthread.php?t=768

Gaco
07-14-06, 10:23 AM
Here goes, I'm buying it *Gaco crosses his fingers* :D

CaptNKILL
07-14-06, 11:51 AM
I think they are already working on patching all of the problems people are reporting.

I played this for a while a couple nights ago and I had a great time. When people are all playing properly its an excellent game.

And for god's sake people, spread the word about the "M" key showing the weapon kill values. Very few people even know about it. Its so sad, people are going around in the game saying how lame it is because theres no reason to use any weapon except the flare gun... they dont even realize the amount of money you get for a kill depends on the weapon you use.

rek075
07-14-06, 12:20 PM
A gameplay video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qqYwnA-Wzig

nVidi0t
07-14-06, 12:50 PM
Hahahah everyone looks so paranoid!

Keep me updated guys, I really wanna get this!

fugu_fish
07-14-06, 12:52 PM
I bought the game from Steam last night and got a few hours in.
I like the concept, it's something different. I was on a good server, no griefing or anything. I got some good kills in. I got someone on the toilet!

I guess I would rate it "meh". The graphics are kind of bland and the gameplay is pretty slow paced. The movement speed seems very slow, kind of like moving through molasses. You can sprint but not for very long. In the server I was on, you only had 90 seconds to find your target, which was very tough on the huge 4 level ship. Sometimes you would be stalking your quarry on deck 1 and they would get thrown in the brig on deck 4. Maybe a patch will tweak the movement speed.

I'll play it some more and maybe my opinion will change.