PDA

View Full Version : Hellgate London source code stolen?

H3avyM3tal
07-11-06, 03:41 PM
I read this on a hebrew gamers website, and most of the stuff they post there is true (if not all stuff they post).

Apeerantly the source code for the game was stolen by a chinese hacker, who is now posting it up for sale on his website :S

I have no idea what the hell is going on...

Greasy
07-11-06, 03:46 PM
If this turns out to be true, and delays the damn game I hope someone kills this POS! :thumbdwn: I'm serious!

Sounds like HL2 all over again.

Zelda_fan
07-11-06, 04:00 PM
A source code theft should have absolutly no impact on the developement of the game. It'll make the execs sweat it out, but game developement should go on as planned.

|MaguS|
07-11-06, 05:37 PM
A source code theft should have absolutly no impact on the developement of the game. It'll make the execs sweat it out, but game developement should go on as planned.

Um no, Source Code stolen for a game that has online play means alot. Hacks can be easily developed for the game which could by pass a cheat system easily since it could be intergrated with engine flawlessly.

Hellgate London like Diablo 2 is going to depend heavily on online play... if this is true the game WILL be delayed... I can't see it not...

stevemedes
07-11-06, 05:56 PM
It's really sad how some people can't play an online game without cheating... Where's the fun in it? How lame is it walking around looking through walls and auto aiming at people? Lamers.

Superfly
07-11-06, 06:05 PM
very very sad if true, if only software theft carried a death penalty.

Zelda_fan
07-11-06, 06:08 PM
Um no, Source Code stolen for a game that has online play means alot. Hacks can be easily developed for the game which could by pass a cheat system easily since it could be intergrated with engine flawlessly.

Hellgate London like Diablo 2 is going to depend heavily on online play... if this is true the game WILL be delayed... I can't see it not...

if haks can be developed, regardless of source code, that is just shoddy programming. All important in-game variables ought to be stored on the server side.

|MaguS|
07-11-06, 06:09 PM
if haks can be developed, regardless of source code, that is just shoddy programming. All important in-game variables ought to be stored on the server side.

Guess every game is shoddy programming then... even Xbox games... (read up on cheaters on Xbox Live/PS2 Online thanks to Gamesharks)

EDIT:
Zelda_fan, you need to learn alittle about programming rather then spitting out random crap... Even without important variables, A hacker could developed a hack thats nothing more then a macro that will auto play the game, this was a serious issue with Diablo 2 but was able to be caught thanks to the game detecting them. If the hacker had the source code insted they could blend it in with the game and no detection tool would be able to pick it up if he does a good job.

Zelda_fan
07-11-06, 06:27 PM
Guess every game is shoddy programming then... even Xbox games... (read up on cheaters on Xbox Live/PS2 Online thanks to Gamesharks)

EDIT:
Zelda_fan, you need to learn alittle about programming rather then spitting out random crap... Even without important variables, A hacker could developed a hack thats nothing more then a macro that will auto play the game, this was a serious issue with Diablo 2 but was able to be caught thanks to the game detecting them. If the hacker had the source code insted they could blend it in with the game and no detection tool would be able to pick it up if he does a good job.

While I was in college, I supported myself as a computer programmer. I don't do it now, but I have three years expereince developing the core architecture of professional software. I wrote my first program in QBASIC when I was seven years old. I think I'm well qualified to make a statement on programming.

In particular, one thing I had to develope was the software's anti-piracy features. Now, the software I worked on isn't as prevelant as Windows so it isn't like the top hackers are working on it, but to date, no one has ever "hacked" the software I wrote.

I am here to tell you that if I was developing a game engine with a multiplayer component, all important variables (position, health, damage, etc) would be stored exclusively on the server. Anything else is shoddy programming.

I've seen anti-macro technology in several games, and clever programming would make a game airtight against macros.

World of Warcraft is a great example of a well-programmed multiplayer game. You don't see anyone hacking that game, and the people who do get caught and banned lickedy split. QuakeIII is another. I don't remember anyone useing haks on QuakeIII, and I played that game online religiously.

CaptNKILL
07-11-06, 06:36 PM
While I was in college, I supported myself as a computer programmer. I don't do it now, but I have three years expereince developing the core architecture of professional software. I wrote my first program in QBASIC when I was seven years old. I think I'm well qualified to make a statement on programming.

In particular, one thing I had to develope was the software's anti-piracy features. Now, the software I worked on isn't as prevelant as Windows so it isn't like the top hackers are working on it, but to date, no one has ever "hacked" the software I wrote.

I am here to tell you that if I was developing a game engine with a multiplayer component, all important variables (position, health, damage, etc) would be stored exclusively on the server. Anything else is shoddy programming.

I've seen anti-macro technology in several games, and clever programming would make a game airtight against macros.

World of Warcraft is a great example of a well-programmed multiplayer game. You don't see anyone hacking that game, and the people who do get caught and banned lickedy split. QuakeIII is another. I don't remember anyone useing haks on QuakeIII, and I played that game online religiously.

Well folks, there you have it. Any game hacks that are out there only exist because the programmers sucked.

Yes Zelda, Im sure if you went to valve or id software and told them "I am here to tell you that if I was developing a game engine with a multiplayer component, all important variables (position, health, damage, etc) would be stored exclusively on the server. Anything else is shoddy programming." they wouldnt laugh at you and then proceed to explain how it actually works.

Do you seriously think you have some inside knowledge that the top game developers dont have because you did programmed some anti-piracy software?

:lol:

You're a funny guy. :D

|MaguS|
07-11-06, 06:38 PM

Quake 3 had TONS of hacks why do you think so many anti-cheat 3rd party tools released around that time. As for comparing Hellgate to WoW is STUPID, one is a MMORPG which is designed to house all information regarding game mechnics on the servers while Hellgate london is a normal SP game with a FREE online component.

Its a game like Diablo, no a MMORPG so forcing the company to house all vital information on server side would require more bandwidth and server capabilties which would increase the developers cost which then would make it a pay to play game. That is the reason WoW is pay to play, for server maintenance, server cost and bandwidth cost (don't get this since they use Bittorrent for patching).

Diablo 1/2 did not host any vital information on the servers thats why hacking was everywhere in the game, the same can be said about Counter-strike. It doesn't host and player vital information on the server, no free MP game does.

Zelda_fan
07-11-06, 06:45 PM
If I was developing a game engine (which had multiplayer), I'd write a server side and a client side. All important variables would be on the server side. For single player, the users machine would host both the server and the client and connect locally. For multiplayer, a seperate machine would host the server, and the client would be hosted by the user. That would be efficent programming, and would prevent a lot of haks.

It may take a little more time to develope an engine like that, but I'd rather spend an extra 30grand on developement rather than put out a crappy programming.

Zelda_fan
07-11-06, 06:50 PM
btw, I'm not the first one to think of this. Neverwinter Nights was developed in this manner (having a server/client type of program) as well.

|MaguS|
07-11-06, 06:51 PM
Sorry but coding server side client for MP isn't efficient at all unless its a MMORPG. The publisher has to be willing to fund the servers for the games lifetime, if not then you would have to put a fee to play online to support the servers which I don't think anyone would pay to play on a none persistent game.

You sound like Blizzard, ID Software and Vavle have no clue what they are doing when creating online games. They all could have implemented a server side client to house all player information but it wouldn't be pratical due to the cost to mantain them.

All your describing is how MMOs work and sorry but that wont work for any other genre but MMOs, it's been tried before and it does nothing but kill the games lifetime since the publisher doesn't want to keep paying for the servers till poeple stop playing.

Oh and even then MMOs still get hacked, plenty of MMOs have gone and reported customer data being stolen. Even then you still get key macros which are hacks in a way (even WoW suffers from Macros).

EDIT:
NWN does not have a central server though. A player must run a server which is in no way tied to the developer or publisher, its basically the same as CS, Q3 and UT. A player creates a server and other players connect to it and store data on it... not the publishers servers. This isn't how Diablo and Hellgate work at all.

a12ctic
07-11-06, 07:35 PM
world of warcraft didnt have hacks? i think your mistaken, the amature programmer i am, was able to make a grind bot that wasnt detected and ran for 2 weeks straight ;)

to tell you the truth, i think wow was the most hacked game ive EVER played, even moreso than CS, teleport hacks were all over the place, speed hacks were used as well although not openly, and i cant forget the tracking hacks, maby you just didnt notice

Zelda_fan
07-11-06, 08:47 PM
world of warcraft didnt have hacks? i think your mistaken, the amature programmer i am, was able to make a grind bot that wasnt detected and ran for 2 weeks straight ;)

to tell you the truth, i think wow was the most hacked game ive EVER played, even moreso than CS, teleport hacks were all over the place, speed hacks were used as well although not openly, and i cant forget the tracking hacks, maby you just didnt notice

I played up until level 60, and went on several molten core raids. I left my guild and quite WOW by the time BWL came out, but in all my playtime (probably 50+ days) I never once saw a hack.

|MaguS|
07-11-06, 08:51 PM
Just because you never saw it doesn't mean they don't excist, You never know that some person camping a spawn that you ran by isn't really using hacks or is a bot...

Zelda_fan
07-11-06, 08:54 PM
Just because you never saw it doesn't mean they don't excist, You never know that some person camping a spawn that you ran by isn't really using hacks or is a bot...

That's the great thing about playing on a PvP server. If you are useing a macro, you'll pwnd by the horde in about an hour, then your poor macro will break and not know what to do.

Zelda_fan
07-11-06, 08:58 PM
Sorry but coding server side client for MP isn't efficient at all unless its a MMORPG. The publisher has to be willing to fund the servers for the games lifetime, if not then you would have to put a fee to play online to support the servers which I don't think anyone would pay to play on a none persistent game.

You sound like Blizzard, ID Software and Vavle have no clue what they are doing when creating online games. They all could have implemented a server side client to house all player information but it wouldn't be pratical due to the cost to mantain them.

All your describing is how MMOs work and sorry but that wont work for any other genre but MMOs, it's been tried before and it does nothing but kill the games lifetime since the publisher doesn't want to keep paying for the servers till poeple stop playing.

Oh and even then MMOs still get hacked, plenty of MMOs have gone and reported customer data being stolen. Even then you still get key macros which are hacks in a way (even WoW suffers from Macros).

EDIT:
NWN does not have a central server though. A player must run a server which is in no way tied to the developer or publisher, its basically the same as CS, Q3 and UT. A player creates a server and other players connect to it and store data on it... not the publishers servers. This isn't how Diablo and Hellgate work at all.

I'm not talking about a publisher funded server. I'm talking about a server LIKE NWN that would run on a players computer. NWN was a great example of the programming technique I'd use.

|MaguS|
07-11-06, 09:01 PM
I'm not talking about a publisher funded server. I'm talking about a server LIKE NWN that would run on a players computer. NWN was a great example of the programming technique I'd use.

Id rather have a Diablo type system...

Zelda_fan
07-11-06, 09:05 PM
Id rather have a Diablo type system...

I wouldn't. The great thing about being able to host your own server, is that you can kick little bitchs off. I played NWN for about two years on a semi-persistant world. Honestly NWN wasn't THAT great of a game, but the quality of players we were able to keep (plus the DMs were great story-tellers) just made the game a ton of fun.

K007
07-11-06, 09:06 PM
If I was developing a game engine (which had multiplayer), I'd write a server side and a client side. All important variables would be on the server side. For single player, the users machine would host both the server and the client and connect locally. For multiplayer, a seperate machine would host the server, and the client would be hosted by the user. That would be efficent programming, and would prevent a lot of haks.

Having a system like this is great for MMOs but not so good for a FPS..**** is gonna lag so much.

I played up until level 60, and went on several molten core raids. I left my guild and quite WOW by the time BWL came out, but in all my playtime (probably 50+ days) I never once saw a hack.

Hmm guess you didn't play that much then. I have played 4 Chracters to 60, 1 of which is Rank 13 the other Rank 14, and there were plenty of exploits in the game. One was the obvious macro/anti AFK "bot", there was also serveral 'dupe' methods in the game which was exploited for sometime and also resulted in major annoying lag/server downtimes during this time.

agentkay
07-17-06, 04:30 PM
This game is shaping up nicely!

http://www.hellgatelondon.com/goodies/category/6/