PDA

View Full Version : Havok v4.0 Announced

SH64
07-11-06, 10:01 PM
Havok today announced the official release of Havok 4.0, a modular suite of artist tools and run-time technology that dramatically accelerates the development of cross-platform, cutting edge electronic games and special effects for films, meeting the needs of the world's top developers and producers.

Havok 4.0 enhances Havok's industry-leading game-play physics and animation products (Havok Physics and Havok Animation). It also introduces two new products - Havok Behavior and Havok FX - to accelerate development of sophisticated interactive character behaviors, and to deliver an unprecedented level of physically-based "special effects" phenomena. The combined 4.0 solution represents a best-of-class SDK and tool set that puts power and flexibility in the hands of today's leading game developers and film effects wizards.

With Havok 4.0, game developers can select from a modular suite of technologies and tools spanning game-play physics, character animation, behaviors and special effects, optimized for the widest range of platforms, including Sony Computer Entertainment Inc (SCEI) PS3, and Microsoft’s 64bit Windows operating system.
http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=35406&mode=thread&order=0

anticitizenzero
07-11-06, 10:18 PM
Havok>agiea :D

nekrosoft13
07-11-06, 10:20 PM
poor agiea

they should start to give away those PPU cards for free, that the only thing that could save them now

GamerGuyX
07-11-06, 10:29 PM
they should start to give away those PPU cards for free, that the only thing that could save them now

How could giving something away for free make them a profit?

nekrosoft13
07-11-06, 10:43 PM
more people have cards --> more developers paying for licenses to use agiea tech in their games --> more games using the technology

devs have more money then users, if there would be more people that have the card, more devs would start using their tech.

other wise ageia is doomed

Q
07-11-06, 10:44 PM
How could giving something away for free make them a profit?

Well, he was talking about product adoption... I've heard that the time of miracles has passed. :D

jAkUp
07-12-06, 12:15 AM
Awesome :D

And actually, from a developer standpoint, Ageia is is an attractive option since it does not cost anything to license their physics engine. You just have to support the hardware.

Havok on the other hand is very expensive.

Quickstar
07-12-06, 01:51 AM
I want to see it!

johnkeel105
07-12-06, 02:20 AM
Chicken and Egg I Believe!!!

Devs don't want to waste time to make a game designed around hardware people have. People don't want the Physx card because the Devs are not making games that use the card.

Superfly
07-12-06, 03:49 AM
If Ageia catches on I'll eat my shorts live on webcam on this very forum.

:D

You guys would have to supply the webcam though - im broke.

faraday
07-12-06, 09:29 AM
I agree that as it is the PPU ideia is still a joke, but they had to start somewere. At some point in time someone decided that 3d and sound had to be processed by seperate processors....so why not physics?

K007
07-12-06, 10:21 AM
Hell..we got PSU just for SLI/Crossfire cards...

I think its a great idea, but we have yet seen some real gaiming use out of it in action. Given time though it will get better..

I dont think i have still seen any reviews that show or answer the question "Does it help the FPS in games?"..and if so by how much? Is it worth it then?

|MaguS|
07-12-06, 10:34 AM
If Ageia catches on I'll eat my shorts live on webcam on this very forum.

:D

You guys would have to supply the webcam though - im broke.

Deal!

jolle
07-12-06, 11:51 AM
I dont think i have still seen any reviews that show or answer the question "Does it help the FPS in games?"..and if so by how much? Is it worth it then?
If you are refering to the PhysX boards, then not really no.
But its more important that it adds alot of physics and stuff, while maintaining a similar level of performance.. you still get some overhead with alot more particles which usually consists of geometry.
But the few games out atm havent been too impressive, CellFactor shows some promise tho.. but the stuff that doesnt work WITHOUT the PPU are pretty trivial, cloth and fluids, in that game, tho you get alot better performance with one of those boards, with the cloth and fluids added aswell.

I spose UT2k7 will prolly make or break the success of Ageia, unless something really impressive shows up from nowhere, something that has good gaming value, CF didnt seem all that fun as a game to me..
And ofcource the developer support, if everyone drops the PhysX API and jumps on Havok 4.0 package, then that wouldnt be too good for ageia either.
For that to happen Havok have to prove its good enough, I can imagine devs like the idea of a fixed hardware platform that the PhysX boards offer.

Zelda_fan
07-12-06, 01:39 PM
Because the Ageia PhysX is free for devs to use a lot of devs are probably going to end up useing it over Havok. PhysX has a software engine as well, so there is really no point in useing Havok which is an inferior physics solution.

This is why PhysX has over 100+ games in developement.

Peoples-Agent
07-12-06, 03:12 PM
Deal!

Double deal, and i'd chip in towards getting you a webcam just to see it. LOL

|MaguS|
07-12-06, 03:52 PM
Because the Ageia PhysX is free for devs to use a lot of devs are probably going to end up useing it over Havok. PhysX has a software engine as well, so there is really no point in useing Havok which is an inferior physics solution.

This is why PhysX has over 100+ games in developement.

While Ageia might be free for developers it doesnt gaurentee that it will be used by the end users which then costs development time for a "maybe" feature. Atleast Havok is 100% gaurenteed that the player will see the effects that the developer actually implemented.

100+ games is CRAP compared the the amount Havoks has... Plus when a developer supports Havok they can port titles between different systems without much trouble with the Physics engine while with Ageia they require a complete rewrite of the Physics code.

Zelda_fan
07-12-06, 04:01 PM
100+ games is CRAP compared the the amount Havoks has... Plus when a developer supports Havok they can port titles between different systems without much trouble with the Physics engine while with Ageia they require a complete rewrite of the Physics code.

Nope. Physx has engines that run on both PCs and consoles so they can port games with ease. You should read up on PhysX before you make a statment like that.

And 100+ next-gen games in developement IS NOT crap. Taken from the Havok website:

http://www.havok.com/content/blogcategory/29/73/

Havok products are used by over 70 of the world's leading game developers in more than 150 titles for PlayStation®2, PlayStation®3 (in development), PSP™, Xbox™, Xbox 360™, Wii™(in production), GameCube™, and the PC.

150 total titles across 70 game developers. Physx is not too far behind with it's 60+ developers and 100+ titles in developement. That's NOT BAD AT ALL considering how much time Havok has had to mature.