PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Reviews

Avon
02-09-03, 02:38 AM
Monitor reviews seem to be hard to come by, with the good old CRT reviews getting very rare (got to be Hip and only review lcd's etc)

I am desperately seeking any reviews on the Philips 202P40

Here is Oz the Sony CPD-G520P is $500 more for than the Philips.

I have a Sony CPD-G420P for the wife, and the geometry was not that crash hot, especially considering the price. It took a great deal of work to get it just about right, however the top right hand side dips a good 1+ mm from 3/4 the way across the screen. With no disrespect to the wife, it is not enough to send it back, but I could never personally use it.

Though I take Tom's reviews with a grain of salt (and a hand full when it is nVidia or Intel products) his review last year pointed to inferior text graphics etc on the Sony CPD-G520P. And with the experience with the G420, well I am not an automatic Sony chap any longer.

BTW, I am unsure of what Aperture Grill tube the Philips uses, anyone know?

Another advantage of the Philips is that it uses a 22" tube, with 20" viewable.

Thanks in advance.

Smokey
02-09-03, 06:31 AM
Well Ive done a search everywhere for a review for that Philips monitor, and nadda! There is a good review of 20"+ monitors over at Toms Hardware (http://www4.tomshardware.com/display/20020805/index.html) Also how are the price of Iiyama monitors in Oz? This one is worth checking out ;)

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&attachmentid=902

Avon
02-09-03, 03:15 PM
Smokey,
Can't say that I have ever heard of that brand here. I'll check our suppliers.

However I am wary of brands that I am not firmiliar with.

Smokey
02-10-03, 08:56 AM
You havent heard of Iiyama :wtf: Oh thats right you live in Oz, I left in 1996, before I got into pcs, so I dont know what sort of choice you have there. Iiyama is consided as one of the best in consumer monitors.

Tactics
02-10-03, 11:42 AM
I agree Sony is terrible these days IMO. I ordered 5 yes 5 G400's(not all at the same time) but I had to return all of them because of defects.

I eneded up buying the one in my specs. Seen a lot of great reviews on it before I bought it. Under $400 also.

morkus64
02-10-03, 10:06 PM
yeah... i'm looking for a good AND CHEAP 17" (or larger) monitor... I'm a poor college student, so i'm looking for $150-200 sale (woohoo for rebates!)

any ideas?

Smokey
02-11-03, 07:51 AM
A very good cheap 19" would have to be the LG E900B, I chose one for my brother in-law, and its very very good for the price and also has a 100% flat screen :thumbsup: