PDA

View Full Version : The Killer Network Interface Card (NIC)

Pages : [1] 2

Burpy
07-13-06, 05:06 PM
http://picsorban.com/upload/lol9yw.thumb.jpg (http://picsorban.com/view.php?pic=lol9yw.jpg)

Killer™ NIC, powered By LLR™ Technology is the First Network Card Designed Exclusively for Online Gamers; Killer Offers Superior Online Gaming Performance.

The Killer NIC offers the following benefits to gamers in online games:

* UltimatePing™ Technology – maximizes the speed of your gaming PC with the Killer’s Network Processor Unit delivering data to games faster than traditional NICs or LOM, thus reducing your Ping in online games.

* MaxFPS™ Technology – offloads network processing from your computer’s CPU to the Killer NIC freeing up the CPU to focus on what is important – THE GAME!!!

* Flexible Network Architecture (FNA™) – allows everyone to freely write, download, and run applications that execute on the Killer’s Network Processing Unit.
FNapps are user and industry developed applications that free your computer’s CPU to focus on the game.

* PingThrottle™ Technology – allows gamers to adjust ping their Ping higher or lower depending on game play.

* GameFirst™ Technology – network packets for your games are prioritized and delivered before all other network activity on the system.

Additional Killer NIC technical specifications are as follows:

- 10/100/1000 PCI Network Card
- 400 MHz Network Processing Unit
- 64MB RAM
- Full NIC functionality
- USB 2.0 Port

Availability:
The Killer NIC will go on sale starting August 16th. More details on the Killer NIC can be found on its new Web site at www.killernic.com.
Stay tuned to the website as Bigfoot Networks will be releasing performance data and benchmarks as the official product launch approaches.

Source: [ Shacknews (http://www.shacknews.com/docs/press/071306_bigfoot_nic.x) ]

|MaguS|
07-13-06, 05:21 PM
That just sounds like a load of FUD. I can't imagine a NIC card improving performance for a game that much... if anything noticable. I would rather have the gamer router which does the same thing by the sound of it and will support more PCs so you get more bang for the buck.

jAkUp
07-13-06, 05:47 PM
I believe the person who designed this hardware is the same person who used to design Intel NIC's. Good stuff, too bad I have no more PCI slots..lol

ViN86
07-13-06, 05:50 PM
for being so "killer", its pretty lame that its a normal PCIx card and not PCIe.

also, didnt think you could run gigabit on a PCI slot.

id like to see some ping comparisons though, sounds like a good idea.

retsam
07-13-06, 05:50 PM
That just sounds like a load of FUD. I can't imagine a NIC card improving performance for a game that much... if anything noticable.then tell that to Sun and IBM that they dont need tcp off loaders in there highend systems and that its all FUD. magus on nvnews.net board knows more then IBM and Sun systems combined.

I would rather have the gamer router which does the same thing by the sound of it and will support more PCs so you get more bang for the buck.
actually if you had both it would be benifical for the gaming experiance. in order for QOS to work you need it end to end. but something like 20% of traffic on a network is broadcast based so if you can put it to the side and have the game packets go out first it may help with latency.

this board is just over emphasizing the truth.

retsam
07-13-06, 05:51 PM
for being so "killer", its pretty lame that its a normal PCIx card and not PCIe.
you have higher latency with pci-e then pci... thats why all on board nics go through either the pci or chipsets for interconnections.

kam03
07-13-06, 08:27 PM
awesome now i can download and play games without lagging ^_^

Banko
07-13-06, 08:33 PM
The best network card I have ever owned are 3Com nics.

I bought 10 3com 3c905-tx's off ebay for $10.

Best purchase ever.

Edit:

That ping throttle tech might prove a tad bit horrible to other online players.

Imagine a CTF map, you get the flag, you make your ping 400 and you lag cap the flag.

K007
07-13-06, 09:13 PM
Untill i see it in action..i am gonna just "lol" at all the names they got on that card...

lol.

supra
07-13-06, 10:18 PM
cool.! the card itself looks pretty sweet

crainger
07-13-06, 11:21 PM
FNA sounds interesting... Could be used to run HW monitors, perhaps the G15 apps, Torrent Clients??

jAkUp
07-14-06, 12:28 AM
I think something like this could benefit on the server end of gaming servers....

a12ctic
07-14-06, 12:35 AM
something only jakup would buy ;)

K007
07-14-06, 01:29 AM
something only jakup would buy ;)

He dosen't have any room left to plug anything else in :p

ViN86
07-14-06, 07:15 AM
you have higher latency with pci-e then pci... thats why all on board nics go through either the pci or chipsets for interconnections.
but PCIx doesnt provide enough bandwidth to cover 1000 Mbps...

That ping throttle tech might prove a tad bit horrible to other online players.

Imagine a CTF map, you get the flag, you make your ping 400 and you lag cap the flag.
hahahaha that is the funniest thing ever. i want to check out the performance on these things. im interested, even though a nice PCIe 2x or 4x slot would be better imo.

nekrosoft13
07-14-06, 08:03 AM

who the hell told you that gigabit is 1000mbps?

its 1000mbits, which is around 60-65mb/s

retsam
07-14-06, 08:54 AM
not really

1000 Mbps = 119.21 MBps the pci bus has 133 megabytes per second of throughput.

jsut do you calculations here

http://www.speedguide.net/conversion.php

Tr1cK
07-14-06, 09:17 AM
I'm pimpin a pci-e D-Link DGE-560T card. I love it.
http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=406

nekrosoft13
07-14-06, 09:34 AM
not really

That theoretical maximum

As gigabit nics are not really gigabit, they are about 700-800mbits

and in real world test it only about 60-65mb/s transfer rate

Do some test in Sandra or other program of your choice?

ViN86
07-14-06, 11:38 AM
not really

man i must be goin out of my mind. i could have sworn that integrated gigabit controllers require (at least) a PCIe 2x bus... :retard:

EDIT:
For a long time now, most of our PCs have been stuck in a bandwidth
quagmire. We've been saddled with a 33MHz/32-bit PCI bus for years.
The entire bus can be completely used up with a measly 133MB/second
of throughput (1 MB = 1 megabyte = 8 megabits = 8 Mbits). In fact, the
PCI bus often peaks at between 100-110MB/second. That may sound
like a lot, but consider this: hard drives nowadays often use the ATA-133
standard, which could potentially fill the entire PCI bus alone. Sure,
you can't do it with a single drive, but use a couple of high
performance drives at once and you can come very close. Now add on
the bandwidth of FireWire, USB 2, and how about a 10/100/1000 PCI
network card? If you are using Gigabit Ethernet, you can potentially fill the
entire PCI bus with that alone. Let's take a look at some common
peripherals that could be added onto a PCI bus and their bandwidths:
http://www.geek.com/newsletter/nl10302002.htm

:confused: 110 < 119.21
and dont worry, i see the word "potentially" in there. ;)

(and the breakdown.... 1,000,000,000 bits * 1 kilobit/1024 bits * 1 megabit / 1024 kilobits * 1 byte/8 bits = 119.21 MB)

ViN86
07-14-06, 11:54 AM
who the hell told you that gigabit is 1000mbps?

its 1000mbits, which is around 60-65mb/s
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/G/Gigabit_Ethernet.html
http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci212192,00.html

you do understand how kilo, mega, and giga prefixes work right? i mean, maybe you arent familiar with the metric/SI system and the prefixes it uses.

but they call those connections 10/100/1000 where they are all in units of Mbps.

who the hell let you get through school without learning what kilo (10^3), mega (10^6) and giga (10^9) stand for? and also, you use M for mega and m for milli, which is 10^-3, and b for bit and B for byte, and -ps stands for "per second"

im referring to the first part of your post. im not commenting about the second part, which probably represents real-world performance.

nekrosoft13
07-14-06, 12:10 PM
`

ViN86
07-14-06, 12:27 PM
1 megabyte/s = 8 megabit/s

yes, both have the mega prefix, but its basically the same as 8 bits = 1 byte. have you done unit conversion before?

gigabit is not 1000mbps
mbps = megabyte per second
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MB/s

hey, look at your link for me. look REEEAAALL close. see that B in there that is a capital B! thats a BYTE SIGN! if it was lower case b youd be right. and please use M for mega if youre going to debate. i expressed that before.

gigabit = 1000mbits (mbits)

i already said that. giga is 10^9, and mega is 10^6. do i need to do the division for you in my head or do you have a calculator?

Gigabit Ethernet, 1 Gbit/s

if you don't know the difference between byte and bit, thats not my issue.
thats exactly what i said. gigabit ethernet is 1 Gbps. which is 1 Giga bit per second

if you dont know how to abbreviate the terms, then dont use them.

Nutty
07-15-06, 09:04 AM
Never heard soo much bollox in my life..
Pretty much all standard NIC's offload network processing from CPU anyway...

And even if it didn't theres noway in hell processing a few K a second that most games push through is gonna make any noticable difference on any cpu.

* UltimatePing™ Technology – maximizes the speed of your gaming PC with the Killer’s Network Processor Unit delivering data to games faster than traditional NICs or LOM, thus reducing your Ping in online games.

Yawn.. nothing new....

* MaxFPS™ Technology – offloads network processing from your computer’s CPU to the Killer NIC freeing up the CPU to focus on what is important – THE GAME!!!

Isnt this the same as above ?

* PingThrottle™ Technology – allows gamers to adjust ping their Ping higher or lower depending on game play.

Thats not even English.. and why the hell would you want a higher ping ??
More FUD.

* GameFirst™ Technology – network packets for your games are prioritized and delivered before all other network activity on the system.

Yeah cos I often leave my torrents on when I'm playing CS... :rolleyes:

then tell that to Sun and IBM that they dont need tcp off loaders in there highend systems and that its all FUD. magus on nvnews.net board knows more then IBM and Sun systems combined.

I think they're prolly dealing with more than a few kilobytes a second which is what most games use...

Until I see a 3rd party bench of this thing, I'm gonna lump it under "Even more useless than an Ageia card".

retsam
07-15-06, 05:25 PM
That theoretical maximum

As gigabit nics are not really gigabit, they are about 700-800mbits

and in real world test it only about 60-65mb/s transfer rate

Do some test in Sandra or other program of your choice?its called tcp overhead....ever hear of it?...as you make it up through the tcp stack you look through put to over head, i dont know is sandra compensates for over(doesnt sound like it) or has on option to compensate...