PDA

View Full Version : Saitek Eclipse II Keyboard

Pages : [1] 2 3

Tikiman44
07-15-06, 02:58 AM
Well I have been wondering when this would come out for a while. I was able to find this pic tonight.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/saitekusa_1905_570165

Has anyone heard when this is coming out? I'm hoping either this month or next. Interestingly enough it appears that you can cycle through the different backlit colors. :D

j0j081
07-15-06, 03:20 AM
wonder how much it will cost...

Redeemed
07-15-06, 04:55 AM
That would be sweet. I've been wanting a new keyboard for some time. I got an i-rocks illuminated keyboard a while a go and it is great. I love it for when I'm gaming late night as I can now quickly and easily find any key I need to press. I don't think I'll ever go back to a non-backlit keyboard. ;)

I also wonder how much that new keyboard will cost. I like Saitek as a company, I have one of their joysticks and it has been great. I've had it for several years and it still works as if it were new.

If the price isn't too high I just might grab one of these when they are released.

Tikiman44
07-15-06, 01:27 PM
I actually already have the Saitek Eclipse and i love it! But this new Eclipse II looks even better. And my mother in law was wondering what I want for my Birthday in 1 month. HEHE! :D

Sazar
07-15-06, 01:36 PM
I hope they don't cheap out and paint the friggin keys.

-edit-

btw nice to see they have kept the adjustable wrist support :)

Bearclaw
07-15-06, 01:58 PM
I hope they don't cheap out and paint the friggin keys.

-edit-

btw nice to see they have kept the adjustable wrist support :)

I was looking into the original Saitek keyboard and was going to purchase it but reviews kept saying how the paint on the keys kept coming off. That really discouraged me to buy it but maybe this will be different. If so, and if the price isn't too bad, I will invest in one.

Tikiman44
07-15-06, 02:18 PM
I was looking into the original Saitek keyboard and was going to purchase it but reviews kept saying how the paint on the keys kept coming off. That really discouraged me to buy it but maybe this will be different. If so, and if the price isn't too bad, I will invest in one.

That is really interesting that the reviewer say that the paint comes off. I haven't had such a problem and I own an Eclipse. The lettering for the keys are really nice on my keyboard. Laser-etched not painted. I have even had this keyboard since it was first released. I love it! So I don't know what that review was all about. jAkUp has the same keyboard as I do. I haved loved the keyboard from day one with no issues. Maybe I just treat my keyboard nicer I don't know. :D

I still have no idea why the reviewers would say these keys are painted. :wtf: Maybe the reviewer mistakenly got his keyboard from the dollar store, because mine is high quality.:p

Riptide
07-15-06, 02:57 PM
Wah? They are painted on the original eclipse. I know because I had to have mine swapped out for the problem and I remember the thread. I was not the only one.

Sazar
07-15-06, 03:17 PM
That is really interesting that the reviewer say that the paint comes off. I haven't had such a problem and I own an Eclipse. The lettering for the keys are really nice on my keyboard. Laser-etched not painted. I have even had this keyboard since it was first released. I love it! So I don't know what that review was all about. jAkUp has the same keyboard as I do. I haved loved the keyboard from day one with no issues. Maybe I just treat my keyboard nicer I don't know. :D

I still have no idea why the reviewers would say these keys are painted. :wtf: Maybe the reviewer mistakenly got his keyboard from the dollar store, because mine is high quality.:p

I used my keyboard a lot, the logitech is etched perfectly, what the eclipse should have been.

If you look at the keys, it is clear to see it is painted and when the dang thing just starts coming off and looking like ass, you KNOW it's painted.

Congrats for not having the keyboard paint come off on you yet but you are talking to a bunch of users here who have had this product for ages. Mine is now my work keyboard because, aside from the el-crappo paint, I love it :)

Clay
07-15-06, 03:22 PM
Here is a larger photo:

http://www.nvnews.net/images/skb.jpg

Tikiman44
07-15-06, 03:25 PM
Wah? They are painted on the original eclipse. I know because I had to have mine swapped out for the problem and I remember the thread. I was not the only one.

Wow I guess I have just been very gentle with my keyboard then. How is the G15 anyway? Is it worth having the little lcd?

Riptide
07-15-06, 03:26 PM
I agree Saitek is a good company. I would want to wait until I know that the backlight is more functional on this new one vs. the old one before I bought it. The backlighting on the original eclipse (and gamer) are pretty worthless IME.
Wow I guess I have just been very gentle with my keyboard then. How is the G15 anyway? Is it worth having the little lcd?
You may have been very gentle or just very lucky. I don't have a G15... Sazar does though.

Tikiman44
07-15-06, 03:46 PM
While I have been reading your comments I have been busy scratching away:type:at the keys to see if I can get any peels to come off.:p Nothing happens. I know the Saitek Gamers Keyboard made before the eclipse would allow for the keys to peel off. Maybe I got the special quality edition.

Gamers Keyboard:

http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/images/product/pcp/keyboard.jpg

Eclipse:

http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/images/product/pcp/eclipse.jpg

Some Awesome Eclipse Reviews:

http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/eclipse.htm

I'm certainly not denying that there may be peeling problems. This is just the first time I have heard of such a thing.;)

Sazar
07-15-06, 04:13 PM

It doesn't peel away like old paint on a fence, it fades away with use.

I think there are some pictures of it around on the web if you are so inclined to look.

The g-15 is an excellent keyboard. It's larger than the saitek and the build quality is far superior. It had a rubberized feel which makes key-strokes more precise (imo).

The LCD is excellent and some games are now coming with the lcd configs built in, i.e. Prey (LOVE the lcd direction/health/orientation thinger :D ). You can also use it to track or display a multitude of other things.

Tikiman44
07-15-06, 04:15 PM
It doesn't peel away like old paint on a fence, it fades away with use.

I think there are some pictures of it around on the web if you are so inclined to look.

The g-15 is an excellent keyboard. It's larger than the saitek and the build quality is far superior. It had a rubberized feel which makes key-strokes more precise (imo).

The LCD is excellent and some games are now coming with the lcd configs built in, i.e. Prey (LOVE the lcd direction/health/orientation thinger :D ). You can also use it to track or display a multitude of other things.

Wow I had no idea that the LCD did that. Awesome!

Neophyte
07-15-06, 04:41 PM
Well i must say my sisters 5$ keyboard wich is also from Logitech has much quieter key's then my g15.

ANyway's it's nice to see more and more keyboards for gamers...

I like lights allot. it's like fruit in a super market where they whant it to come out just right.

Tikiman44
08-02-06, 11:06 AM
Hooray the keyboard is available for purchase!!! I'm sure the keyboard will be ready for purchase at online stores soon as well.

http://saitekusa.stores.yahoo.net/eciiilke.html

:nana:

nekrosoft13
08-02-06, 12:19 PM
is it wireless?

Tikiman44
08-02-06, 12:21 PM
is it wireless?

It's not it's wired but it still looks sweet to me. (nana2)

tornadog
08-02-06, 12:49 PM
My eclipse seems to have crapped out on me. Everytime I connect it it starts typing on its own. first I thought some keys were stuck but then I found it would type letters randonly. Things got so bad I couldnt even log in to windows. As soon as the login box came up it would fill it up and it wont let me delete. I removed the keyboard and connected my cheapo multimedia PS2 keyboard and everything's fine and dandy. You can imagine the time I wasted trying to trubleshoot because its not the first thing that comes to mind when you have such a strange problem. I think it has to do with too many USB devices connected, I have about 5 but I need all of them. So the keyboard has to go.....

nekrosoft13
08-02-06, 01:59 PM
why can't they made a wireless eclipse keyboard with lights.

i know that batteries wouldn't last long, but they could make a recharge station

look at my master piece drawing :D

there would be a small station laying flat on the table, with to metal contacts, and either AC or USB powered.

after using the keyboard, you would pick it up, put it on the station, and it would recharge.

reason i like wireless, because quite often i take the keyboard off the table, lean back in the chair and play game

nemecb
08-02-06, 02:14 PM
My eclipse seems to have crapped out on me. Everytime I connect it it starts typing on its own. first I thought some keys were stuck but then I found it would type letters randonly. Things got so bad I couldnt even log in to windows. As soon as the login box came up it would fill it up and it wont let me delete. I removed the keyboard and connected my cheapo multimedia PS2 keyboard and everything's fine and dandy. You can imagine the time I wasted trying to trubleshoot because its not the first thing that comes to mind when you have such a strange problem. I think it has to do with too many USB devices connected, I have about 5 but I need all of them. So the keyboard has to go.....
That happened to mine and I thought I was SOL. I put the Eclipse away until I would get a chance to return it to Best Buy, but after a couple of days on an old keyboard I was missing it enough to try again. I banged on the bottom pretty hard, plugged it back in, and lo and behold it worked. I've seen that work on other keyboards too. Something about beating keyboards on desks seems to revive a surprising number of them.:)

I was the one who posted a thread asking about the paint on the original Eclipses when I got one and now 7+ months later I have no paint coming off the keyboard. And we're talking about a keyboard that gets used hard daily. I'm suspecting that they fixed whatever problem was allowing the paint to wear off since people who have gotten them more recently seem to be having good luck with them.

I would have to see one of these new ones in action before deciding if I want one. I love the key action on mine (except for the left ctrl key which sticks just a little once in a while) and the only major thing I would change is to make the backlighting brighter.

Tikiman44
08-02-06, 02:39 PM
Hooray the keyboard is available for purchase!!! I'm sure the keyboard will be ready for purchase at online stores soon as well.

http://saitekusa.stores.yahoo.net/eciiilke.html

:nana:

I think I will order mine today maybe since my Birthday is in 1 week. Ahhh yes Eclipse II. (nana2)

whiskeychaser
08-02-06, 03:32 PM
The g15 is the best out there. I had the Saitek gamers edition keyboard and the G15 side by side, and the G15 makes the Saitek look like a child's keyboard. Logitech is really making some quality peripherals lately.

Bearclaw
08-02-06, 06:35 PM
I think I will order mine today maybe since my Birthday is in 1 week. Ahhh yes Eclipse II. (nana2)

I think I am going to order one also.