PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about Zalamn VF700

Rayman1968
07-16-06, 09:19 PM
I'm going to buy a couple of Zalman VF700's for my 7800GTX's. The fans come with a power connector that has a total of four leads on it. Two for silent mode, and two for normal mode.

My question is this - Am I going to plug both fans from both cards into one of these connectors and then use one 4 pin molex for both fans, or do I need to use a separate connector for each card and then have to use a total of two 4 pin molex plugs?

kidwolf908
07-16-06, 09:56 PM
I think you need to use two seperate molex connectors, I'm looking into the VF900 so I just use the Fanmate to choose my speeds, but the VF700 has that herky jerky 5v or 12v shi.t :-\

It is possible that the 2 leads are meant to power two fans at high or two at low...but I doubt it, seeing as the VF700 "kit" as a whole only controls ONE fan so I don't see why they would give you enough to power two off one molex.

Sorry dude, but I pretty much expect you'll have to lose a second molex, however you could just use one and daisy chain them together...that's what I think ill be doing between my VF900 and my 80mm case fan in the side panel...

Rayman1968
07-16-06, 11:06 PM
It is possible that the 2 leads are meant to power two fans at high or two at low...but I doubt it, seeing as the VF700 "kit" as a whole only controls ONE fan so I don't see why they would give you enough to power two off one molex.

I was thinking this as well, but if the connector is meant to be used for only one fan, then why does it have two leads on it for each mode?

kidwolf908
07-16-06, 11:27 PM
Beats the hell outta me...have you bought the "kit" yet? I know that the install video on zalman's site shows 4, but maybe it's only 2 and they effed up or something. Take a look at the zalman website and the install video for the VF700 again, I think it says what each connector is for next to it during the video...could help explain what the second one is for...:-\

Rayman1968
07-19-06, 10:35 PM
Both fans work fine using two of the leads on one connector.

Idle temps dropped about 10 degrees, and under-load temps dropped about 15 degrees. This is using the 'normal mode'. I should have done this a long time ago.

SLippe
07-20-06, 01:23 PM
I'm just curious, how come you didn't go with the VF900? Other than that, their both good coolers. Enjoy.

Rayman1968
07-20-06, 02:40 PM
I thought about it, but decided it really wasn't necessary to spend the extra $30 considering the VF700 cooled the 7800GTX so well according to the reviews I read.