PDA

View Full Version : New keyboard and mouse needed

Lazaredz
07-17-06, 11:25 AM
Well, I spilled a drink and my keyboard the other day and its been on the fritz since then. Mouse was kinda giving me trouble to, so I decided its time to replace them.

I was currently using the keyboard from the Logitech Cordless Desktop Pro and a MX 700 mouse. I like the ergonomic (split) keyboards and the feel of the MX. Both are black/silver and USB wireless.

Anywho, I want another black/silver USB wireless mouse and keyboard. I think I like the MX1000 over the G7 because of the additional buttons and recharging stand, instead of battery replacements. I'm also leaning towards the new cordless comfort duo from logitech as it has a mx600 mouse which I might be able to sell and recoup some of my cost.

Really the problem is there just isn't a hell of alot of choices on keyboards, expecially ones that DON'T come packaged with mice.

Anywho, any suggestions??

See below for update

nekrosoft13
07-17-06, 11:50 AM
i'm personally looking for a keyboard to, but i will wait till i get some more detail about the new MS ultimate keyboard.

and stay away from Logitech MX5000, worst keybaord mouse combo i ever owned, returned it few days later, just couldn't stand that BS anymore.

PTK1982
07-17-06, 11:56 AM
Mouse Logitech MX1000
Keyboard Logitech UltraX Media or Ultra Flat

and you are good to go

Lazaredz
07-17-06, 12:37 PM
Mouse Logitech MX1000
Keyboard Logitech UltraX Media or Ultra Flat

and you are good to go

think you missed the idea that I want a split keyboard and wireless .....

randsom
07-17-06, 12:41 PM
im using a logitech G7 mouse and a Logitech G15 keyboard.Absolutly love them

spendy but well worth it

snilloconator
07-17-06, 02:15 PM
MX1000 you'll be happy with! I own G5 and 1000 but I personally like the G5 better. But either way both are good buys! One thing on the 1000 if you do game with it the left mouse button seems to flake out. I went through three of these in a 6 mo. period! Good thing I got the upgraded warranty.... Have had no problems with the G5 and have owned for a while now.

nekrosoft13
07-17-06, 03:22 PM
microsoft has a amazing "split" keyboard, i think they call it conford or something like that.

crainger
07-18-06, 08:59 AM
Its not split or wireless but the G15 is a great keyboard. I combined mine with a MX1000.

Stoneyguy
07-18-06, 12:09 PM
I hope this never happens to me. They no longer make my keyboard and it's the best ever made. Good luck on finding something. I can recommend the MX 1000. It's a great mouse.

nekrosoft13
07-18-06, 01:06 PM
if you like ergonomic keyboards you should get this one

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=043

j0j081
07-18-06, 01:27 PM
If you are a gamer go with the G7 mouse. the mx1000 is not nearly as good for that but is better at things like photoediting from what I've read.

crainger
07-18-06, 08:21 PM
Yah thats true. My gfs MX518 feels better in fast FPS. But for my single player gaming its fine for me (love the extra buttons), plus the battery life is amazing. The G7's is low, but offset due to there being more than one.

Lazaredz
07-19-06, 08:01 AM
Well I went ahead and bought the SAME keyboard again. It seems that only logitech has what I am looking for. Got the MX1000. I like the recharge station and extra buttons .... the G7 just didn't work for me. Mouse got here yesterday and I am expecting the keyboard today.

Thx for the input all.

Now, anyone know where I can find a 8850GX2???? ;)

Lazaredz
07-21-06, 09:26 PM
Well I ended up getting the updated Cordless Duo keyboard (with mx600 mouse) and a MX1000 mouse.

They keyboard was the ONLY one I could find that was really what I wanted. I had been VERY happy with my past experiance with the Cordless Duo keyboard but was hoping they had finally decided to sell it by itself .... no such luck so the an extra mouse is now laying around. Well they updated a few keys including just having general "preset" buttons accross the top instead of Email, Internet, etc etc etc. The Windows keys on both sides of the bottom now have a minor indintation to them so they are easier to feel without looking for them. Keys also seem to be a little softer to the touch ... more of a "press" feel to them than a "tap" feel. I can't say I like the new font they used on the keys, but I don't really look down at the board much, so that really isn't an issue for the most part. The BEST parts of the new board are a CALCULATOR key on the top right of the numberpad that brings up ... you guessed it ... the calculator program in XP. Also they have what they call "Secure Connet" on the keyboard now, it is basicly some incription for keystrokes so that someone outside can't just snap your passwords etc out of the air as they are transmitted to the reciever. I had never even thought about that before, seems like a good idea to me. Also, the reciever is a little updated. While it looks a little slicker it seems a bit flimsy. The "wristpad" is also improved with a little bit a rubber over what used to be just a hard plastic piece. I use a Belkin gel pad, so its been tossed.

http://ai.pricegrabber.com/product_images/21989000-21989999/21989638_640.jpg

The MX 1000 mouse, I'm not too sure about yet. It is MUCH lighter than the MX700 I owned before. It also has internal batteries that cannot be replaced by end user. The feel of the mouse is fine and I do find its tracking to be alot "sharper". The scroll wheel feels VERY loose/flimsy. Not sure if this is just the design or mine has a problem, but it works so far. Their are 3 thumb buttons. The "back" button is great and the "app" button seems to be fine also. However the "foward" button is just in a weird position. It might become easier to use/more comfortable with some practice but I am not to happy with its so far. As with the keyboard reciever, the mouse base has been redesigned and looks a little slicker. However it too is lighter and seems flimsy. They have moved the power plug in from the USB plug to the back of the base though, which does allow for easier cord management.

http://ai.pricegrabber.com/product_images/3748000-3748999/3748210_640.jpg

A big improvement is the new software. Moving from Logitech's Mouseware and iTouch to a combined program called Setpoint. The interface is alot more user friendly and provides easy customization.

They also moved both items to a "steel gray" and black color sceen, which matches my Aria and Dell 2005FPW well, so bonus I guess!!

Anywho, thats my first impression. I'm going to investigate the scroll-wheel issue and practice using the "foward button". If I can pin down those 2 issues, I think I'll be pretty happy.

crainger
07-22-06, 12:12 AM
My MX1000's wheel is a tad on the loose side compared to other mice, but it doesn't feel flimsy at all.

The forward button is a little awkward as for the base, I agree 100%, its way to light and weak feeling.