PDA

View Full Version : Just got a 7900GTX and regret it :-(

Pages : [1] 2

Roliath
07-17-06, 01:44 PM
Well i just got my 7900GTX in and I regret this purchase..Prey is completely unplayable (tried three different driver versions) and my other games aren't that bad but Prey seems to get it the worse.
Garbled screen, locked up, no overclock, default settings..this is pissing me off.
The card I have is an XFX 7900GTX clocked at 685 / 815..
This was a common problem with these cards aye?
Looks like i'm gonna rma this sucker...ugh..I should've just bought a 7950..

snilloconator
07-17-06, 01:49 PM
Well i just got my 7900GTX in and I regret this purchase..Prey is completely unplayable (tried three different driver versions) and my other games aren't that bad but Prey seems to get it the worse.
Garbled screen, locked up, no overclock, default settings..this is pissing me off.
The card I have is an XFX 7900GTX clocked at 685 / 815..
This was a common problem with these cards aye?
Looks like i'm gonna rma this sucker...ugh..I should've just bought a 7950..

7950 would have been the better buy unless you got a super deal on the 7900GTX... I have had both and I must say there is no comparison between the two. I also have felt your pain with the 7900 and srry to here about your problems. GL with the RMA dude! Hopefully the new card will be diff for you!

Roliath
07-17-06, 01:51 PM
Yeah, I got a crazy deal for it which is the main reason I got it.

But now I freaking regret it, I've only had it for a few hours and i'm not satisfied with it and have already submitted an rma ticket to XFX.
Argh this is pissing me off.

snilloconator
07-17-06, 02:03 PM
Like I said I feel your pain! I was in the same boat but hopefully they have got a handle on the 7900's now... and you just got a bad card. One thing I did to keep one of my 7900's going before getting the 7950 is not to bench it at all... I know it sounds goofy but I didn't run any 3Dmark scores and never had a problem with my last 7900gtx. But I hated walking on thin ice with that card so I stepped up to the 7950... All in all I know it sucks but bare with it man and hopefully the new card will kicka$$!!! Honestly my last 7900GTX performed pretty awesome just was too chicken to tinker wit it...lol

Neophyte
07-17-06, 02:18 PM
Don't buy XFX 7900GTX lmao...
Why didn't you asked first here before you bought it.
I alway's search for info when buying hardware with those kind of price labels.

Anyway's good luck with the RMA.. aldo i don't think you get a working one back from xfx.

Roliath
07-17-06, 02:20 PM
My 7800GTX was an xfx card I had no problems with it whatsoever.

EazyDuz14
07-17-06, 02:20 PM
Tough luck dude.

Neophyte
07-17-06, 02:33 PM
My 7800GTX was an xfx card I had no problems with it whatsoever. That's becouse it's an 7800GTX not 7900GTX ;)

Maybe now it's time to do some research ;) it's all over the place...
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66127&highlight=xfx+7900+freeze

Try to underclock the GPU to it's Default specs... and see if you have any problems :)
I bet they are gone then.

650/800
GPU/MEM Mem 2 is 1600Mhz default.

Riptide
07-17-06, 02:54 PM
I am also curious to see if underclocking helps.

Roliath
07-17-06, 03:06 PM
yup, i set them to default speeds and all is good...but i'm still rma'ing this f*cker.

Neophyte
07-17-06, 03:20 PM
yup, i set them to default speeds and all is good...but i'm still rma'ing this f*cker. hahah, srry.
YO_ou should have asked here first :)

Good luck with the rma... See my previous.
Also try there forums. Ohh wait

The XFX Forum is no longer active. Any product, support or non-support questions should be directed to our brand-new Help Desk. The technical professionals at the XFX Help Desk have all of the latest XFX product information on hand, at the ready to provide you with quick and accurate answers that are tailored to your specific request, system or set-up. A comprehensive tracking feature enables you to track the details of any inquiry you make. And, you can even search through a saved "history" for previous inquiries.

The XFX Help Desk: Another XFX upgrade created to maximize your gaming experience.

play hard.
I like there last text ''Play hard'' ^^

Good luck.

From the very first start i really didn't know why people praised XFX so much... everyone talked about it. I never heard of this brand before, and thus didn't knowed why people praised them so much.. i guess it whas just a e-penis matter...
Well... euhmmm sry i can't stop laughing :(

Roliath
07-17-06, 03:40 PM
Well... euhmmm sry i can't stop laughing :(
I'm glad you find humor in my situation...

Neophyte
07-17-06, 03:46 PM
I'm glad you find humor in my situation... That's why i used the :( smiley :o (sarcasme)
I wished you all the best luck, what else can i do.
I'm just telling you the facts, and i hope you learned from it.
(even gave you good advice etc...) what's wrong ?

Face facts.. and laugh with me ^^

*Read before you buy, no matter how low the price is... (it's like buying a dell machine, there is alway's something wrong in the end)

J-Mag
07-17-06, 03:50 PM
hahah, srry.
YO_ou should have asked here first :)

Good luck with the rma... See my previous.
Also try there forums. Ohh wait

Just because their forums are no longer being supported doesn't mean you can't RMA...

Neophyte
07-17-06, 03:52 PM
Just because their forums are no longer being supported doesn't mean you can't RMA...
yeah but what a supprise what you get sended back.. another faulty card..:thumbdwn: After ? i mean that's not the point really.. fact is there cards suck.. and that aint right from the first start. (Plus the fact that topic starter should have readed that first before buying them, i mean it's now ? months old information) from someone with over 1000 posts i expected commen sence. (olmost come's over like it's Nvidia's fault) Why doesn't he post over @ XFX ? ...... ohh w8 *get it ?*

Same with CLub-3d etc..... bin there done that... paying for shipping couse they send you from RMA a faulty card again... ending up in buying a diffrent brand.

i'm just giving facts... and i hope to god that he get's a good replacement, couse i'm human and i know people work hard for there money.

im not someone that give's false hope... srry i'm just facing facts based on billions of reply's about overclocked Evga's and XfX's.

J-Mag
07-17-06, 04:07 PM
yeah but what a supprise what you get sended back.. another faulty card..:thumbdwn: After ? i mean that's not the point really.. fact is there cards suck.. and that aint right from the first start. (Plus the fact that topic starter should have readed that first before buying them, i mean it's now ? months old information) from someone with over 1000 posts i expected commen sence. (olmost come's over like it's Nvidia's fault) Why doesn't he post over @ XFX ? ...... ohh w8 *get it ?*

What you fail to understand is that initial runs of video card manufacturing is rarely done by the OEM, so all the OEMs have the same cards.

Bias towards brands exists due to personal experiences. Many people hate UPS, FedEx, DHL, because of their bad experience, yet they are all pretty much the same. This is similar as to what happens with the video card industry.

Anyway, it is hard to take stock into anyone statement when belittling the OP with "commen sence" :p

Neophyte
07-17-06, 04:08 PM
What you fail to understand is that initial runs of video card manufacturing is rarely done by the OEM, so all the OEMs have the same cards.

Bias towards brands exists due to personal expiriences. Many people hate UPS, FedEx, DHL, because of their bad expirience, yet they are all pretty much the same. This is similar as to what happens with the video card industry.

Anyway, it is hard to take stock into anyone statement when belittling the OP with "commen sence" :p EUhmmm don't think you can put facts into smart words that aint worth the billions of posts all around the internet. This aint 7900GTX related. This is manufacture's related a.k.a EVGA, XFX that **** with the bios etc... (why does topic starters card work flawless with default speeds huh?)

7900 range related (all brands) is the GT version.
k tnx bye

J-Mag
07-17-06, 04:17 PM
EUhmmm don't think you can put facts into smart words that aint worth the billions of posts all around the internet.

What are you twelve?

If you think even 5% of internet posts are fact then you are living in a dillusion.

This aint 7900GTX related.

Yeah it's not in the title or anything :rollseyes:

This is manufacture's related a.k.a EVGA, XFX that **** with the bios etc...

7900 range related (all brands) is the GT version.
k tnx bye

You have lost it, if you say it is all brands yet you are moaning about XFX.

I think a labotomy may very well increase your IQ.

Neophyte
07-17-06, 04:23 PM
What are you twelve? No not really

If you think even 5% of internet posts are fact then you are living in a dillusion. do you work for XfX or have a card of them ?

Yeah it's not in the title or anything :rollseyes:Re: Just got a 7900GTX and regret it :-( happens to be a XFX

You have lost it, if you say it is all brands yet you are moaning about XFX. Where did i say it's affected by all brands OMG are you stupid, do you read ? Someone shoot me please.... XFX has problems with there suppa duppa overclocked cards (7900GTX) (Topic starter has one) where the hell did i say all brands were affected ? Are you saying that the GT is the same as the GTX ? Are you stupid or what ?

I think a labotomy may very well increase your IQ. I think you need reading lessons.

FFS im talking for TOpic starters sence... related to (happens to be) the 7900GTX from XFX.... **** dude... im not saying all XFX's range is ****ed....

Bring it on bitch, No commen sence in you so i talk to you in this way like you talk to me ^^ ey

Please bring it on... take your time... look up some dictionaries for some great words... (working for the goverment type of biatch)

J-Mag
07-17-06, 04:33 PM
No not really

ADD then or what?

do you work for XfX or have a card of them ?

I don't work for them, but yes I do have two 7900gtx XFX cards, that work fine since day one.

Are you saying that the GT is the same as the GTX ?

No, my original point which you don't seem to be able to comprehend, is that brand does not matter. Many of the overclocked EVGA's had this problem as well and many of the XFX don't. You are incorrectly inferring that all XFX overclocked cards have problems because of the posts you have read on the internet.

I think you need reading lessons.

Your posts are literary master pieces.

Neophyte
07-17-06, 04:38 PM
ADD then or what?

I don't work for them, but yes I do have two 7900gtx XFX cards, that work fine since day one. ohhhh there ya go ^^

No, my original point which you don't seem to be able to comprehend, is that brand does not matter. Many of the overclocked EVGA's had this problem as well and many of the XFX don't. You are incorrectly inferring that all XFX overclocked cards have problems because of the posts you have read on the internet. So your saying i can't have an opinion on the internet ?
I'm wrong ? my point of view is inrellevent just becouse your xfx card works ?

Your posts are literary master pieces. So is yours ^^ Put yourself in my shoes, and in topic starters shoe's... right now all im seeing is you trying to flame people instead of helping them.... i helped the topic starter... you are only arguing couse you happen to have a pair... but who care's about you ? Just becouse your cards work fine doesn't mean XFX has no problems... lmao. (you should know better)

Xion X2
07-17-06, 04:43 PM
Man, this is getting ridiculous. I might never go Nvidia again; there is absolutely no excuse for the amount of crap people are dealing with when buying 7900GTX's.

I'm sure XFX has its share of good cards, but they have a crapload of bad ones, too. It's true that ALL 7900GTX's have had their problems--that's Nvidia's fault. XFX, however, seems to put out more faulty cards than anyone else. My first GTX was an XFX and it was DOA. The newegg reviews also rate it lower than any of the rest--or at least did the last I checked.

Roliath
07-17-06, 04:43 PM
Guys, please just drop it.

Here are the facts, XFX treated me well in the past so why wouldn't I trust them in the future? Neophyte, your opinion on xfx sucks is exactly that an opinion. My triple x 7800GTX was an amazing card and overclocked to hell and back. The 7900 Series had issues from the get go, which I was aware of but the person I purchased the card from (whom i trust completely) did not have these issues at all.
Its probably something on my end which I'm still working out (the card is still going to get rma'd though).
I do regret the purchase somewhat just due to teh fact that I have to go through this procedure.
XFX will still have my business in the future as this slight hiccup doesn't change my view on them, and other companies who offered factory overclocked versions of this card had the same issue, it was not JUST xfx.

I will note one thing, the help desk at xfx is crap and I always get great customer support (when needed) when I call them.

J-Mag
07-17-06, 04:49 PM
i helped the topic starter... you are only arguing couse you happen to have a pair...

Helped? Yeah I love your advice:

Don't buy XFX 7900GTX lmao...

Neophyte
07-17-06, 04:51 PM
Man, this is getting ridiculous. I might never go Nvidia again; there is absolutely no excuse for the amount of crap people are dealing with when buying 7900GTX's. Don't put yourself of of Nvidia just becouse guy's like me and others talk about complainments others have... Nvidia is great.. and i've never had any problems other people have... (And im not considdering myself lucky)... it's just the partners of Nvidia that screw up....(Nvidia also stated that!) Nothing wrong with Nvidia... There partners screwed up.