PDA

View Full Version : X-Fi Case Front panel Audio Adapter Mod.

MaXThReAT
07-17-06, 01:58 PM
I have come to a point where I require the headphone jack on my case. The X-Fi I/O panel works fine but in order to keep my Buttkicker plugged in I have to leave my case door open. I found an article that shows how-to build your own adapter. The way I understand it, the FP audio header on the motherboard only functions with the on-board audio and as of ZS2 there is no case front panel audio connection on the cards. However there is a proprietary connection you make an adapter for. It would allow you to connect the cable for FP audio directly to your X-Fi. I'm ordering parts from Digikey this week and will start the mod next week. The same thing is possible on the ZS2 but a little different, there's a blog about it somewhere.
Has anyone attempted this before? I'll let you know how it goes.

http://img482.imageshack.us/img482/3968/xfifpmodbq5.th.jpg (http://img482.imageshack.us/my.php?image=xfifpmodbq5.jpg)

Lazaredz
07-17-06, 02:30 PM
Good luck with that. I for one have NO IDEA why creative and case makers can't work together on this. I mean, really, providing a standard plug on their soundcards costs what ... $.10????

Stoneyguy
07-17-06, 03:01 PM
I remember seeing that in my last issue of Maximum PC. They seem to suggest it as an easy fix, never tried it though since my headset stays plugged in and I never have to hotswap it.

Good luck with it!

MaXThReAT
07-17-06, 06:23 PM
Good luck with that. I for one have NO IDEA why creative and case makers can't work together on this. I mean, really, providing a standard plug on their soundcards costs what ... $.10????

I would guess it's because if they provided a connection for the already standardized ATX front panel audio connector, like in the past, there would be a small percentage of people that wouldn't buy the higher end models that come with their I/O panel. Is that one sentence, yeah it is.

MaXThReAT
07-28-06, 08:27 AM
Bump, Well I can tell you all the mod when just fine. I finished it up last night and it works like a charm. Now I can keep my door closed and connect the buttkicker to the headphone jack on the side of the case. The parts I used cost less than 3 bucks, why creative doesn’t include some kind of connection is beyond me. I did have to spend near 28 bucks due to minimum quantity requirements and shipping. Had to buy 100 each of the two types of end connectors, 10 white connectors and I just bought 5 black cuz you never know. Maximum PC's directions are 100% correct. Those little tiny end pieces for the white connecter were hard to crimp with my crappie needle nose pliers but we're good to go.