PDA

View Full Version : DVI ports on laptops

saturnotaku
07-17-06, 10:05 PM
In looking to replace my desktop system with a notebook, I was wondering if models with external VGA/DVI ports are capable of driving my Dell 2005FPW and its 1680x1050 native resolution. That inquiry goes double if I order a system whose own native display is less (1440x900, 1280x800, etc). Thanks in advance.

superklye
07-17-06, 10:09 PM
http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma950/

Looks like it since even the Intel 950 can do 2048x1536 @ 75Hz...just depends on the monitor.

crainger
07-18-06, 12:25 AM
I'm pretty sure it would.
Though I didn't have much luck when I tried my Toshiba on my HDTV. I used the DVI port on the docking station via a DVI to HDMI cable to the TV. Couldn't get a picture. But it could have been a number of problems, perhaps the output wasn't DVI-D, perhaps it was the docking station, maybe the Laptop GPU itself. It was an older Laptop. Intel 915 I believe.

nekrosoft13
07-18-06, 09:54 AM
why would you anyone replace such a good desktop with a laptop

saturnotaku
07-18-06, 10:05 AM
why would you anyone replace such a good desktop with a laptop

Not that it's any of your (or anybody else's) concern, but I hardly do any gaming on my PC. I just don't have the time, plus I have my Xbox 360 to do most of it. Half-Life 2 is about all I play on my PC, plus a few older titles that don't require massive graphical horsepower. I merely need something less powerful that I can use anywhere in my house, as well as take on business trips.

crainger
07-18-06, 07:27 PM
Not that it's any of your (or anybody else's) concern, but I hardly do any gaming on my PC. I just don't have the time, plus I have my Xbox 360 to do most of it. Half-Life 2 is about all I play on my PC, plus a few older titles that don't require massive graphical horsepower. I merely need something less powerful that I can use anywhere in my house, as well as take on business trips.

i know what you mean. Lack of time sees me playing the 360 after work weeknights, PC is on weekends when I can be bothered messing with drivers/AA + AF/Patches.