PDA

View Full Version : Is the 7950GX2 for me? Please read!

GuOD
07-18-06, 12:57 PM
Hi everyone,

I've currently been running 7900GT SLI and it's been working great. However, I just got a new TV and I'm having MANY (grrrrrrrrrrr) problems when switching between TV and Monitor. I'm sure this is caused by SLi and the drivers dont' like switching SLi on/off over and over and then changing back and forth between displays. I've decided that I should give up on SLi and switch to a 7950Gx2.

A lot of people are talking about SLI with the GX2, but I also read that everyone runs it in single core mode? So I wanted to make sure - if I pick this card up, I DONT need to use SLI right? SLi is the problem I'm trying to avoid.

Secondly, i've noticed the benchmarks that at higher resolutions GX2 > GT Sli so I'm thinking it would be better performance for me @ 1920x1200 in all games AND no Sli problems!

Please let me know!

SilentMercury
07-18-06, 03:50 PM
I am not sure what to tell you, but I am not very happy with mine. I used to play my games on dual monitors, a 19" high res monitor, and a 56" HDTV. With my GX2, I can't play on dual monitors unless I sacrifice A LOT of performance, the performance is so bad for me in dual display mode it makes me sick. I had a 7900 GTX for a brief time, and the dual display mode was incredible. I played Oblivion in 1900x1080 and it was spectacular. With this card, games run best in SLi mode on a single display, but I still get some minor screen tearing at the top of my screen, even with V-sync on. I still have some more experimenting to do with the settings, so hopefully someone else has some better input. I personally wish I had stuck with the 7900GTX, but I am not willing to risk having another one go to crap.

GuOD
07-18-06, 04:43 PM
I am not sure what to tell you, but I am not very happy with mine. I used to play my games on dual monitors, a 19" high res monitor, and a 56" HDTV. With my GX2, I can't play on dual monitors unless I sacrifice A LOT of performance, the performance is so bad for me in dual display mode it makes me sick. I had a 7900 GTX for a brief time, and the dual display mode was incredible. I played Oblivion in 1900x1080 and it was spectacular. With this card, games run best in SLi mode on a single display, but I still get some minor screen tearing at the top of my screen, even with V-sync on. I still have some more experimenting to do with the settings, so hopefully someone else has some better input. I personally wish I had stuck with the 7900GTX, but I am not willing to risk having another one go to crap.

When you say you played games on dual monitors, do you mean you played games on both monitors at the same time?

I would like to play on my PC monitor only 90% of the tim, play on TV only 10% of time, I'd never want to use both displays at the same time.

So the card does work better in "SLI mode"? Is this using the latest drivers as well? I'm just stuck because 2 cards causes problems with switching between single displays, and 1 card won't run games @ 1920x1200 (oblivion for example)

Xion X2
07-18-06, 05:33 PM
The GX2 is an SLi card. If you want the performance that it's made for, you need to enable "multi-GPU" instead of single, like you mentioned. After all, it has two GPU's on it. It makes no sense to disable one of them through the utility.

It works the same as SLi except it fits in one PCI-bus.

SilentMercury--if the card's running like crap, try running the 91.28 or 91.31 drivers. I helped K007 out with his and he had a 50% performance increase by dropping the 91.33 drivers (if that's what you're using, and a lot of guys are.)

GuOD
07-18-06, 05:46 PM
The GX2 is an SLi card. If you want the performance that it's made for, you need to enable "multi-GPU" instead of single, like you mentioned. After all, it has two GPU's on it. It makes no sense to disable one of them through the utility.

It works the same as SLi except it fits in one PCI-bus.

SilentMercury--if the card's running like crap, try running the 91.28 or 91.31 drivers. I helped K007 out with his and he had a 50% performance increase by dropping the 91.33 drivers (if that's what you're using, and a lot of guys are.)

Thanks Xion. I was unaware that it function as an SLI card. I assume it also has the same cpu overhead? (I notice it in Oblivion with my GT setup) And I guess I would also have the same problems in windows. The only reason the performance is better I guess is because of the extra ram.

I will not get this card now! Thanks a lot!

Eliminator
07-18-06, 08:32 PM
ya the 7950 has 512mb of ram and the 7900gt has 256 (they make 512 versions now too).... the extra ram would help at high res with AA/AF