PDA

View Full Version : 7950 and SLI Profiles Question

rickshobbies
07-18-06, 03:14 PM
I have been researching the Nvidia 7950 for my system and have also spoken with Nvidia and BFG. I am getting conflicting information from the review sites and from the manufacturers.

Nvidia and BFG are telling me that the 7950 does not require the use of SLI profiles and that under the new 91.31 drivers, appears to the system as a single card with dual GPUs. In summary, I am told that the dual GPU function together at all times, do not use the SLI profiles, and will never operate in single GPU mode.

However, I see some reviews stating that the profiles are required and other reviews stating they are not.

Has anyone tested or verified this?

K007
07-18-06, 10:37 PM
Tell you first hand that i also thought it needed profiles. But it dosen't..and that owns :D. I hate profiles ><.

All you need to check is Multi-GPU is set (It auto detects), and thats it. It is not a SLI card it works just like what they told you. Think of the 7950 as a 1 card like a 7900GTX..only with 2 gpus..the drivers are good that it knows how to work without the aid of special profile options.

The special profile options only take into place if you use quad sli..just like any other sli setup.

For a single GX2..all you need is multi-gpu enabled and...knock your self out in games..just make sure the drivers do work...the 91.33 for me was just useless..it wasen't working properly went back to official drivers 91.31 and it works like a charm..almost 96fps on FEAR @ 1280x960 with AA/AF..i cannot complain ><

Xion X2
07-19-06, 08:53 AM
It is not a SLI card it works just like what they told you. Think of the 7950 as a 1 card like a 7900GTX..only with 2 gpus..the drivers are good that it knows how to work without the aid of special profile options.

Actually, for the sake of being correct it is an SLi card in the sense that it has an SLi bridge connector inbetween the two graphics boards. You can see it if you look. And it's the only one of its kind, because, technically, before the GX2 came out there were no SLi cards. Only normal video cards hooked up to an SLi connector.

However, the GX2 functions on a single PCI-bus so it's a little different than your standard SLi setup.

K007
07-19-06, 09:09 AM
When i meant SLI i meant as in the profiles.

rickshobbies
07-19-06, 11:26 AM
Exactly. There seems to be a lot of confusion about the 7950 GX2 requiring SLI profiles to enable the 2nd GPU like a standard 2 card SLI setup does, or if the the 2 GPUs function without them.

K007, how did you confirm that profiles weren't used?

K007
07-19-06, 11:48 AM
When i started getting crap perfermance. At first i assumed it used sli profiles..so i went say CS:S VST, and used AFR and SFR..both settings were really poor results..worst than my GTX and just a bit faster than my 6800GT..after playing arround..i just went into the old CP..which disables profiles unless i check it..the old cp dosen't even show the sli settings for you to pick..all i had to do was pick the normal settings and volla...boost.

It was later that i noticed the fear results were low when i was told it was low..so i switched to 91.31 from .33..and igot a massive boost on fps FEAR..VST still stayed the same i think this cauld be the cpu /etc..it was faster but nothing big..though going from 2xaa to 4xaa had little impact on the overall fps..infact..i think it had zero effect on the drop..just shows how much the GX2 packs under its hood :D.

So to sum it up..no need profiles unless i assume u go quad sli.

Also i tested the new cp on 91.31 with single gpu and got the same result as old cp with no sli settings. but faster than afr or sfr..

It is a bit confusing and i wish it did have some profile because then you would have to pick someting like "7950GX2 Special" rendering mode...and i dont think the new cp is that good because it seems to have multi - display and sli profiles on auto/custome..which seems like afr or sfr..and in old cp i cant select anything but single display...infact it wont even let me change anything..

New drivers today though..just for 7950gx2..gonna try them later.