PDA

View Full Version : 7600 GT fan speed in power saving mode

Marovincian
07-19-06, 12:17 PM
When my pc goes into power saving mode, and the monitor screen blacks out, my 7600 gt fan speeds up, making lots of noise, and eating up power when it's supposed to be saving it. It's nice and quiet in 2d mode, like it should be, but as soon as power savings kick in, the card spins up.

Any ideas on how to change this?

Thanks.

jesup
07-29-06, 10:26 AM
Perhaps it's related to the fact that the fan goes full-speed when you reset the PC.

Greeno
08-02-06, 06:11 AM
It's nothing to do with the reset thing... that's merely a thermal damage prevention thing... the card assumes the PC was reset due to overheating, so ramps the fans up to full whack to stop any damage occuring.

It's likely a driver bug or something to do with the 7600 series... i've never seen anything like this on many makes of the 7900 series card.

squall_leonhart
08-02-06, 07:09 AM
its not a driver bug....

since your new here,

Drivers don''t affect a pc until the OS has loaded. so obviously the fan running at full speed is a hardware fault.

this can be fixed by modifying the bios. i think you can use nibitor to modify fan speed values now

Greeno
08-02-06, 08:08 AM
Agreed.

However, you'll notice he says "Power Saving Mode", so it's fairly safe to assume he's running Windows.

So it could be a driver issue, not putting his card into a low power/low fan spin speed mode properly.

And my sign up date here really isn't a measure of my knowledge :)

squall_leonhart
08-02-06, 09:15 AM
Agreed.

However, you'll notice he says "Power Saving Mode", so it's fairly safe to assume he's running Windows.

So it could be a driver issue, not putting his card into a low power/low fan spin speed mode properly.

And my sign up date here really isn't a measure of my knowledge :)

Drivers are disengaged as the machine enterss a low power state.

the problem is also noted as happening during startup as well. hence the drivers dont play a part here.

Greeno
08-02-06, 09:51 AM
He doesn't say start up though to be fair.

squall_leonhart
08-02-06, 10:38 AM
no but the second post does. so i thought id cover both with one hit.

Marovincian
08-02-06, 11:56 AM
I decided to take the easy route. Replaced the stock fan with a Zalman vf900-cu. Now it's nearly silent, and cooler as well.

I highly recommend this cooler btw, very nice design. It's efficient and it will be easy to clean.

squall_leonhart
08-03-06, 12:49 AM
a bios flash is far easier when you know what your doing:P

Greeno
08-03-06, 03:06 AM
And assuming that's the definate cause :)

squall_leonhart
08-03-06, 03:36 AM
certain 7600GT's have a wonky bios.