PDA

View Full Version : Help i think iv been screwed.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

killacami
07-19-06, 06:02 PM
I bought a new graphics card (pny geforce 6600le = 120) about 2months ago, and have barely had anytime to use it.

So i tried it out with Quake 4, and when i auto detect, it detects really low settings. So i tried pushing all the settings up full. And it runs pretty nice.

So iv been tryin a couple other games, they all auto detect my settings at the lowest, and i push them up full or close enough. Chronicles of Riddick (came with the card but wouldnt install untili updated drivers and patched the game???), Chaos Theory (i didnt push it, it looked nice enough) and prey, all look good.

so i tried some of ma older games (call of duty 2 + FarCry) they both auto detect the settings at the lowest possible, and both looked ****ed up (yea thats the technical term) whatever setting i have the card, on farcry the start of the first level is messed up with stuff sticking out allover the place and colour messed up, but the outdoor island doesnt look bad and the characters look good. In call of duty the world looks nice, but the characters have holes in them etc.

So have i got a ****ty card? Or do i just need to set it up better.

PS whenever i start my pc i get a msg sayin SLI has been disabled. I didnt even know this card was one of those. Anyway its an annoying msg, how do i get rid of it?

killacami
07-19-06, 06:34 PM
BTW

Im on an old msi motherboard AGP
P4 2.5ghz
1gb sdram
240gb HD

stncttr908
07-19-06, 06:42 PM
Well, to be perfectly honest, the 6600LE is a slow card by today's standards. With that said, you should be able to play all those games without display corruption.

I'm assuming it has passive cooling (meaning no fan)? It might be overheating. How is your case ventilation? Are you overclocking? What driver revision do you have? Do you have your motherboard's chipset drivers installed?

killacami
07-19-06, 06:55 PM
Well, to be perfectly honest, the 6600LE is a slow card by today's standards. With that said, you should be able to play all those games without display corruption.

I'm assuming it has passive cooling (meaning no fan)? It might be overheating. How is your case ventilation? Are you overclocking? What driver revision do you have? Do you have your motherboard's chipset drivers installed?

I dont think its got a fan, but its a pretty big card (physically). And iv got a power socket plugged into it. (Im not that clued up)

Case ventilation isnt amazing, just a couple of little grills at the back. Nope not overclockin, dont even know how.

Driver revision? 9.1.3.1

Motherboard chipset drivers? Dont know?

Be honest, did i get totally screwed, paying 100-120 for it?

grey_1
07-19-06, 07:03 PM
I don't think you got totally screwed. A few more quid(you still call em that?) may have gotten you a bit better.

The sli message I think was fixed in the 91.33's. Try updating to those.

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_rel70betadriver.html

these are beta, but worked good for me.

After you do this, take the side off your case and blow a small house fan in to the pc whilst playing some games. If the mess clears up, you have a heat issue. If not, maybe something else. Post back what happens, good luck!

killacami
07-19-06, 07:09 PM
Yea good to hear i didnt get totally ripped of ad be gutted. And yea when im talkin i say quid, just looks wierd when its typed lol.

Will try the updates and blowing a fan at it and see if it makes a difference.

Cheers for the reply.

K-1
07-19-06, 08:32 PM
Make sure your Far Cry is totally patched and up to date. Earlier versions of Far Cry did not like 6-series cards at all and had lots of problems before patching. Also, it's normal for Riddick to need patching to run properly because nvidia added Open GL 2.0 support (or something) in one of their drivers released after Riddick came out, and Riddick was getting tripped up by the added Open GL support.

killacami
07-19-06, 09:16 PM
Iv not tried patching Far Cry, but its looking better with my case open and a fan blowing, although the card has a small fan attached to it.

Farcry seems to be a lot better now, im still getting black blobs on the high setting but i think thats normal (for my LE card), if i run it lower its fine, whereas before it had jagged spikes all over the place.

I still need to try Call Of Duty 2 though so ill post again.

Make sure your Far Cry is totally patched and up to date. Earlier versions of Far Cry did not like 6-series cards at all and had lots of problems before patching. Also, it's normal for Riddick to need patching to run properly because nvidia added Open GL 2.0 support (or something) in one of their drivers released after Riddick came out, and Riddick was getting tripped up by the added Open GL support.
Ill prob patch Far Cry anyway, to see if it makes it better. Thanks for filling me in on RIddick, i thought it was wierd that the game that came with the card wouldnt work with the card, but glad ot know its normal.

If it is a heat issue which it seems to be, what should i do? Just open my case, when im playing games? I tend to leave my pc on over long periods of time, encoding and stuff, is that ok or do i need to take the side off to be safe?

I had a 5700 two yrs ago that faikled on me after 11months, was that to do with heat? (Same case/tower) It wasnt the same problem, but was it the same cause?

killacami
07-19-06, 09:18 PM
Though Far Cry is still auto detecting my card at all the lowest settings. :(

Lfctony
07-20-06, 03:22 AM
Farcry unpatched doesn't work properly on the Geforce 6 series and up. Patch it and it will be ok.

Capt. Picard
07-20-06, 03:47 AM
I can testify to the 6600GT displaying blue and black patches in Far Cry. The general look of the game also weren't that hot. However, after I installed all the updates the game looked awsome. I can't imagine that a graphics card double the 6600GT's price will have graphics that looks twice as good as a 6600.

grey_1
07-20-06, 04:38 AM
If it is a heat issue which it seems to be, what should i do? Just open my case, when im playing games? I tend to leave my pc on over long periods of time, encoding and stuff, is that ok or do i need to take the side off to be safe?

I had a 5700 two yrs ago that faikled on me after 11months, was that to do with heat? (Same case/tower) It wasnt the same problem, but was it the same cause?

Could be, excessive heats a killer. Does your case have room for an intake and exhaust fans? If possible post a pic of it. If you look through the "post your rig" thread here http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59410 , you'll see most everyone gets heavy duty on fans and/or other methods of cooling.

killacami
07-20-06, 08:37 AM
Heres some pics of the inside,
Sorry for the bad quality, iv not got a digital cam, just a camera phone.
http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/9880/2007061427xm0.jpg
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/8841/2007061428vu0.jpg
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/3740/2007061429xh0.jpg
http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/5933/2007061430kf6.jpg

Anytime i open my case the HD is really hot (and prob the GFX card but i wouldnt touch it), quite likely it would need an extra fan.

Im gonna try out COD2 and see if patching, or fanning will help. And im just about to patch Far Cry.

killacami
07-20-06, 09:29 AM
Patched farcry to the latest, and it looks much better, that must have been the prob. It looks nice even with my case closed. Im pretty sure COD2 just needs patched aswell... I didnt know getting a newer graphics card means i need to patch my older games. lol

After lookin at my pics, does anyone think that i have heat issues, cause if i do, id wanna fix it. Other than that, thanks for the great replys. This place is A+ :D

And after reading other posts/topics about the 6600le in this forum, i started to think id been ripped off. But am happy.

grey_1
07-20-06, 11:33 AM
Is that mount in the rear for a 12cm fan? Either way mounting a fan back there would pull some heat out of your case, although you shouldn't need much. Whatever make of case that is, google for the specs and you'll find what size fans to use. As a general rule larger is better. Moves more air with less noise.

EDIT: Glad all else is working better for you btw

killacami
07-20-06, 11:34 AM
Another update, after patching, farcry seemed to be working, this mornin, then i turned it off, did some stuff on the net for a couple hrs, then tried it. (All the time with the case/side closed)

When i tried it, there was the odd glitch, like stuff sticking out, that would disappear and reappear, grass and water messed up.

So what do u ppl think is it a heat issue? And if so, what do i do to fix it? Buy a new tower?

killacami
07-20-06, 11:37 AM
just seen ur post grey, i think there is a heat issue, how would i go about mounting a fan? i dont see any space, i can take more pics of certain areas if u want

Is that mount in the rear for a 12cm fan?
The only stuff i know how to upgrade (never built a pc) is gfx, hd, dvdrw, floppy, ram, pci slots. Im not sure about mounting fans.

SLippe
07-20-06, 01:35 PM
See that circular area on the back of your case with all the holes in it? That is where you would put a fan. It takes 4 screws, one in each corner. You may have a similar looking grill in the front of your case as well. I'd put fans in for sure. Judging by your pics, it looks like you may have quite a bit of dust in there as well. Get some compressed air and blow out your case, especially the fan on your graphics card. Until you get fans installed in your case, I'd leave the side off. If your tower sits inside a computer desk you might consider moving it out in the open also. Mine sits on a wooden base about 7" high out in the open for max airflow and cooling, of course, I have 6 case fans too. :D I'd say your problem is probably heat related. You should be able to see your card's temp in the nvidia control panel. See what it is at idle and under load. Good luck.

killacami
07-20-06, 02:03 PM
See that circular area on the back of your case with all the holes in it? That is where you would put a fan. It takes 4 screws, one in each corner. You may have a similar looking grill in the front of your case as well. I'd put fans in for sure. Judging by your pics, it looks like you may have quite a bit of dust in there as well. Get some compressed air and blow out your case, especially the fan on your graphics card. Until you get fans installed in your case, I'd leave the side off. If your tower sits inside a computer desk you might consider moving it out in the open also. Mine sits on a wooden base about 7" high out in the open for max airflow and cooling, of course, I have 6 case fans too. :D I'd say your problem is probably heat related. You should be able to see your card's temp in the nvidia control panel. See what it is at idle and under load. Good luck.

A pic of the front, no grill :(
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/3909/2007061942vm7.th.jpg (http://img76.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2007061942vm7.jpg)
I keep it out in the open, so that wont be a problem.
I'll deffinately get a fan in the back. I see the space for the 4 screws. Shouldnt be hard.

Yup really dusty, do i really need to clean?
Ill get the fan, not sure about the compressed air though. Can i not just wipe it?

Marvel_us
07-20-06, 02:13 PM
Cleaning the dust out of your PC is very important. Compressed air is one of the best ways to get those hard to reach places that you can't just wipe off.

Also turn off your PC before you stick your hand inside.

grey_1
07-20-06, 03:48 PM
A pic of the front, no grill :(
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/3909/2007061942vm7.th.jpg (http://img76.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2007061942vm7.jpg)
I keep it out in the open, so that wont be a problem.
I'll deffinately get a fan in the back. I see the space for the 4 screws. Shouldnt be hard.

Yup really dusty, do i really need to clean?
Ill get the fan, not sure about the compressed air though. Can i not just wipe it?

Hi killacami, yep, Slippe gave you the best advice. There's some pretty delicate stuff in there, capacitors etc, that can break off pretty easy, then you may be screwed. Airs the best way to go. bring it outside and just use small bursts of air til it's clean.

And although it is a hassle, the cleaning is pretty important. Mine gets a major cleaning with air at least once a month, usually twice.

killacami
07-20-06, 05:10 PM
I'll get both.

Just to let uz know, iv had the pc on all day, but for the last 6 hrs-ish iv had the side open with a fan blowing, and farcry works a treat.

Cheers, iv bookmarked this place, cause ur all so helpful. Good stuff.

grey_1
07-20-06, 07:14 PM
I'll get both.

Just to let uz know, iv had the pc on all day, but for the last 6 hrs-ish iv had the side open with a fan blowing, and farcry works a treat.

Cheers, iv bookmarked this place, cause ur all so helpful. Good stuff.

Then welcome to the forums, glad we could help!

killacami
07-27-06, 07:50 PM
Well i got a fan and put it in, works, not got compressed air yet, but will do.

Still leaving the side off

Far Cry plays fine now, for like 30, 40 mins, then appear jagged spikes, holes through objects, and land on the water u can walk through (glitches like that) which all go away after a restart, and then might come back in another 30 mins.

I also tried Oblivion (i dont expect high settings) it auto detected med (not like the other games which were all default low) i then turned down some off the settings and turned off "bloom", "vertical sync" (or something) to make sure it played nice. The vid at the start is all messed up, plays vid + sound for a few secs, then jumps, then plays for a few secs etc. So i skip it, gameplay is good for about 30 mins then jagged spikes appear and holes through character/objects. Fixes after a restart.

Iv not noticed these glitches on any other games, just far Cry and Oblivion. The play nice then after 30 mins the glitch.

Is there anything i can try? Apart from compressed air?

EazyDuz14
07-29-06, 12:55 PM
Jeez you could have got a 6600GT for LESS money!