PDA

View Full Version : TV Tuner

Bearclaw
07-19-06, 09:36 PM
I am looking to get a Tv tuner for my computer and have a few questions.

Do I need a sound card for it?

Once I have it physically installed, is it as easy as plugging the cable cord to the tv tuner card?

How do I then proceed to watch tv on ym computer?

And, what is a good tuner to get?

I want to order by tomorrow before noon at newegg and have it overnight so any help asap would be much appreciated. ;)

ynnek
07-19-06, 10:33 PM
For cable, that doesn't require a set-top box, yes its that simple..

The next most important, if nt the most important question is what software are you going to run?

I use SnapStream, but haven't used the latest version.. I don't say i can recommend them though..

MS MCE looks promising, I'm most liklely going to switch over to the next vista version of that.

toxikneedle
07-19-06, 11:35 PM
I've been very happy with my VisionTek card, someone on these forums suggested it to me a couple months back. As far as capturing video, I think VirtualDub has one of the best capture modes.... there's no type of schedule or TV guide functionality though.

BTW, you don't need a soundcard to use a TV tuner.

Lazaredz
07-20-06, 02:32 AM
Check my sig for my set-up.

I got the Hauppauge PVR 150 after asking around a bit last year. My needs were only to be able to watch T.V. althought I have found that I can perform DVR functions with this card.

It was a fairly easy set-up once I figured out which software I NEEDED to have and what stuff was just fluff. I currently use the Win2000 software with no problems (and no, you do not need a seperate sound card, you can use the onboard sound on your motherboard if you like). Software to watch, record, program, and use the remote come with the card and updates are available online for free.

You can either plug the coax directly into the card and use the software to change channels (the PVR 150 comes with an IR remote/reciever) or use the box the cable company supplies and its remote, in which case the coax runs to the cable box then over to the tuner card.

Once I set up the Win2000 software to default to channel 3 it has been as simple as plugging in the new cable box and turning it on. I have used this setup in 4 differnt cities with 4 different boxes, including digital boxes with NO problem at all .... plug and play ... or in this case watch.

I HIGHLY suggest the PVR-150 from Hauppaugge. If, for some reason you do not have a PCI slot left, they also have external tuners that use USB 2.0

Heinz68
07-20-06, 11:18 AM
I'm using for few years ATI TV Wonder and am very happy with it.
Now I'm going to get the New THEATER 650 PRO it supports over-the-air DTV (ATSC), also going to buy new high definition wide screen monitor (1080p), not sure yet which one.
ATI Theater 650 product page with Interactive Demo
http://www.ati.com/products/theater650pro/index.html
AnandTech review for ATI Theater 650
http://www.anandtech.com/multimedia/showdoc.aspx?i=2778&p=1