PDA

View Full Version : Fan upgrade results...

Pages : [1] 2

EazyDuz14
07-20-06, 04:14 AM
Well there are none really. I made a fan card with 2X Akasa 80mm amber series fans (25.4 cfm X 2 = 50.8 cfm) and a Vantec Stealth (28cfm) as an exhaust fan, and they didnt drop a single degree off my GPU, so Xion is wrong again when he said an exhaust fan is needed, well they dont make a difference.

Airbrushkid
07-20-06, 04:31 AM
You should replaced the stock heatsink and fan on your video card. And put a Zalman VF-700. You'll see and improvement over the stock one. Heres a set I found here.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/2233/evga025ss7md.jpg

EazyDuz14
07-20-06, 04:51 AM
You should replaced the stock heatsink and fan on your video card. And put a Zalman VF-700. You'll see and improvement over the stock one. Heres a set I found here.

I have replaced it about 2 weeks ago and it knocked 10C off, what else can i do?

Airbrushkid
07-20-06, 05:30 AM
What did you replace it with?? And you got any better pictures of your system? What is that black box on the left side of the video card, is it your cpu and heatsink/fan?

EazyDuz14
07-20-06, 05:58 AM
What did you replace it with?? And you got any better pictures of your system? What is that black box on the left side of the video card, is it your cpu and heatsink/fan?

I cant take any more pictures because its my sisters camera and shes gone away with it now. The black box is a heatsink on the mobo. I replaced the card with the evercool VC-RF (same as VC-RE but with RAM sinks)
Do you think it would be better if the fans on my fan card were sucking the hot air off the card? or is it better off blowing air onto it (with no effect ATM)
The ambient temperature is about 26C in this room, thats enough for the fans to blow some cool air onto the GPU but its not working. What can i do?

EazyDuz14
07-20-06, 06:28 AM
Ok as i cant take pictures i just quickly edited a picture with paint..

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=main/7/20006193749.jpg&s=f10

Its a really bad drawing but what if i cut the zip ties (which look neat and cause no vibrations) off and turn the fan around and hold it facing the card with 2 zip ties, as it doesnt make much difference as an exhaust fan, it might as well blow against the card. And on the other side of the card what if i had the two fans sucking the hot air off the card rather than blowing warm air onto it?

Airbrushkid
07-20-06, 06:32 AM
Hey you didn't answer my question.. What is that black box on the left of the video card? So your still using the stock cooler on the video card? And what is the video card you have there in the picture?

K007
07-20-06, 06:36 AM

Is your system upside down like that? Looks intresting...must be easy to setup the wires..

Airbrushkid
07-20-06, 07:08 AM
Well thats not mine. Thats a picture of BrianG system. And heres another shoot of it.

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/8272/102305003s2ju.jpg

EazyDuz14
07-20-06, 07:17 AM
Hey you didn't answer my question.. What is that black box on the left of the video card? So your still using the stock cooler on the video card? And what is the video card you have there in the picture?

Are you blind? I answered it already
"I cant take any more pictures because its my sisters camera and shes gone away with it now. The black box is a heatsink on the mobo. I replaced the card with the evercool VC-RF (same as VC-RE but with RAM sinks)"
The picture is old, thats why it has the stock fan on it.
Its a 6600GT also.

So should i do the idea i posted or not?

Airbrushkid
07-20-06, 07:55 AM
Yes I'm blind. Sorry I missed that post and went to the secound post. You did have 2 post in a row.

Well anyways. The one you put on the card is so so. I just took sometime to do some reading about it. The Zalman VF-700 will do a lot better job cooling your card. You looking at about 20c cooler. But now the VF-700 cu and the VF-900 blow cool air over the copper fins on to the card. So its up to you if you want to blow or suck the form the card.

|MaguS|
07-20-06, 08:07 AM
Whatelse can you do? Get rid of your Dell and start all over...

EazyDuz14
07-20-06, 08:20 AM
Yes I'm blind. Sorry I missed that post and went to the secound post. You did have 2 post in a row.

Well anyways. The one you put on the card is so so. I just took sometime to do some reading about it. The Zalman VF-700 will do a lot better job cooling your card. You looking at about 20c cooler. But now the VF-700 cu and the VF-900 blow cool air over the copper fins on to the card. So its up to you if you want to blow or suck the form the card.

The VC-RF is very good, i used to be getting as high as 96C with 22C ambient, now i get 81C in a 25C ambient room, huge improvement. I thought of zip-tiing all 3 fans together and have them blowing down on the card, though it would put strain on the grill they would be attached to. I dont really know what else to do, would the fan card drop more temps from sucking hot air off the card or blowing warm air onto the card?
The VC-RF blows onto the copper heatsink, maybe if i put the larger fan blowing down onto the GPU fan it would make the air cooler and thus dropping temps quite alot?

Whatelse can you do? Get rid of your Dell and start all over...

Taking the easy way out is boring, and this Dell performs great with games, why bother?
Only thing that lets it down is the BTX mobo.

Update:

WTF! I turned the exhaust fan off and the GPU temp has GONE DOWN 2C ! How is that possible? Im 100% sure the fan is blowing the right way, so how could this happen?

Airbrushkid
07-20-06, 09:05 AM
You 81c with that VC-RF. Sorry to say just before I pulled out my 6600Gt it has a Zalman VF-700 and with a load I only got about 55c with ambient room. Now I have a 6800GT OC with a Zalman VF-900. When I put this card in I was getting 57c at idle and 76c at load wuth some games. But once I put the VF-900. It's running at 47c at idle and 58c at load.

A lot has to do with if the heatsink can pull the heat from the gpu and how good it does it.

EazyDuz14
07-20-06, 09:17 AM
You 81c with that VC-RF. Sorry to say just before I pulled out my 6600Gt it has a Zalman VF-700 and with a load I only got about 55c with ambient room. Now I have a 6800GT OC with a Zalman VF-900. When I put this card in I was getting 57c at idle and 76c at load wuth some games. But once I put the VF-900. It's running at 47c at idle and 58c at load.

A lot has to do with if the heatsink can pull the heat from the gpu and how good it does it.

Your whole case has better cooling though, not just the GPU. What i think ill do is tak the fan card off and zip-tie both fans to the grill so they blow down on the GPU, and put the larger fan below the GPU and blow underneath. I have a heatsink from my old Radeon X300 which might fit one of the holes in the 6600GT, but im not sure it will. What else can i do? If you have a better idea tell me.

Airbrushkid
07-20-06, 09:30 AM
I'm only using one 90mm fan to exhaust my case.

EazyDuz14
07-20-06, 09:31 AM
I'm only using one 90mm fan to exhaust my case.

Have you ever taken it off and measured your GPU temp? It doesnt change.

Airbrushkid
07-20-06, 09:38 AM
Why? Never need to it's one fan. And the gpu with the stock setup ran a lot hotter then the Zalman. All your case fan rally does is help to move air thru the case. I understan you trying to find a easy way out but. I and others know the Zalman will do it way better then the one you have. :D

Xion X2
07-20-06, 10:23 AM
Xion is wrong again.

Remember this?

If it were me, I would see if I could resituate my drives and allow a path of airflow from the front of my case by mounting a 120mm front fan (if you have a mesh front or a space to allow air in) to blow over my components and then I would mount a 120mm fan above the graphics card to blow out the hot air.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73359

I told you originally that you needed good airflow coming in from the front of your case to see any real gains with any of this, and I also told you to get hi-airflow fans. You did neither, it appears. 25cfm is weak for airflow; it's about the equivalent of the PCI slot cooler I told you to stay away from. Even so, you're just taking the hot air that's already in your case and blowing it back up on your graphics card.

You need to intake cool air from somewhere first. Having an exhaust fan is still a good idea, because it will keep your case from overheating too much. To really see some drops in temperature, though, you need to intake cool air from somewhere. That's why people are suggesting you get a new case; Dell's cases are terrible when it comes to cooling.

I realize you have some kind of beef with me by this point and will hardly listen to anything that I say, but what I am telling you works if done correctly. I have seen it with mine and my two friends' computers which I helped build recently. My buddy's 1900XT was idling at 60C before we mounted fans on the front of his case and built a homemade PCI slot cooler with two Sunon 120mm 84cfm fans underneath it, and now it idles at 38C (that's a 22C drop!). My GTX idles around 35-36C when I don't have it overclocked.

You really need a better case than that Dell you have to see any real gains, unless you can figure out a way to pull some cool air in from the front, which is tough because Dell's cases have a plastic shield that covers the entire front of the case that you can't remove. However, I wouldn't even attempt at telling you to swap out your motherboard and the rest of your components into another case given the kind of knowledge it appears you have about this kind of stuff.

EazyDuz14
07-20-06, 11:07 AM
Well i have the 92mm Stealth that isnt really doing much, where could i put that judging by this pic:

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=6/17911020459.jpg&s=f5

where could i put it to suck in some cooler air from the outside?

Xion X2
07-20-06, 11:24 AM
where could i put it to suck in some cooler air from the outside?

Your case is really cramped, so I'm not sure. Normally, I would try and attach a 120mm fan--or a 92mm like you have--to the very front of my case to pull in cool air like this:

[
[[](fan)>>>>(cool air)>[[[[[]]]]]](gpu)>>>[](rear fan)
[[]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>[]
[

Do you see the path of air going from left to right? Cool air comes in from the left, scatters over your hot components, and then hot air rushes out the back through the exhaust fan. This is the ideal scenario. In the case of the PCI slot cooler, cool air will also surround those fans while they spin it up on the card.

But again, you have so much clutter at the front of your case and to the left of your graphics card that this solution doesn't seem possible. It's the reason your card runs as hot as it does. I really don't know what else you can do with that Dell case unless you can figure out a way to resituate some of that clutter and move it out of the way to create an airflow path from the front. I guess you could try mounting a 92mm or 120mm fan somewhere to the left of your GPU on that clutter if you can't remove it, but you're not going to see the kind of gains you would if you had a clear path of air coming in all the way from the front of your case.

The best cooled cases are the ones that have no clutter to the left of the motherboard/GPU and have room to attach a large fan on the front to suck in cool air from the bottom. The Cooler Master Centurion is a great case for this, as is mine. You can find them both on www.newegg.com for around 50$ or less.

So, the way I see it:

1) See if you have any holes in the front of your case that you could suck cool air through.

2) If you do, try and remove some of the clutter if possible to create a path of air and then mount a fan (preferably a 60cfm or above. The higher the better).

3) If you can't remove the clutter, try and mount a fan somewhere to the left of your GPU

4) If none of the above, get a new case, but don't do this unless you're absolutely confident you can re-assemble all your stuff. This can be quite a job--even for the skilled.

Edit: One more thing you could do if you decide on none of the above is to sit a small desk fan next to your computer with the case open. This would at least give you a rush of air coming in from the side. The problem now is that you have no airflow; the hot air is just sitting there. The exhaust fan is jetting hot air out the back but there's no fan to help bring cooler air in.

K007
07-20-06, 11:41 AM
I Dont know why people buy dell computers for gaiming and expect to do some custom changes themself at home..

Like Xion said..You need to get a good air flow going on. The temp drop on the gpu seems very low after the aftermarket cooler... I just stuck a fan and just used 2 wires to hold the fan blowing right in the middle gap (power side) and managed to drop 10-15C off the load, mainly in FEAR it dropped alot here on the other gpu...and thats alot considering that card is taking in heat from the other gpu and using that air to cool itself off...both temps are almost identical now.

Find a way to get some air to come into he gpu...if there is no intake at all in the case..i doudt you will be seeing much difference..because as it seems you pretty much maxed out on how hot the system can get..

Xion X2
07-20-06, 11:51 AM
I Dont know why people buy dell computers for gaiming and expect to do some custom changes themself at home..

I made that mistake last gen. Never again. :)

I just stuck a fan and just used 2 wires to hold the fan blowing right in the middle gap (power side) and managed to drop 10-15C off the load,

Awesome. This was an idea I had when I still had my GX2. I was going to try it eventually. Good to see that it dropped your temps that much! 10-15C is definitely decent.

EazyDuz14
07-20-06, 12:20 PM
I made that mistake last gen. Never again. :)

Awesome. This was an idea I had when I still had my GX2. I was going to try it eventually. Good to see that it dropped your temps that much! 10-15C is definitely decent.

You cant see it but on the power side in the middle is a large intake fan which is blowing on a huge heatsink (its inside that black plastic case, left of GPU) and the rest of the air that doesnt blow against the heatsink flows thru the rest of the case. The heatsink is an odd shape, but allows some air to pass it. What if i mounted the Stealth on the end of the heatsink, so it blows some air onto the GPU (though its only about 30 CFM)

Xion X2
07-20-06, 12:51 PM
You cant see it but on the power side in the middle is a large intake fan which is blowing on a huge heatsink (its inside that black plastic case, left of GPU) and the rest of the air that doesnt blow against the heatsink flows thru the rest of the case. The heatsink is an odd shape, but allows some air to pass it. What if i mounted the Stealth on the end of the heatsink, so it blows some air onto the GPU (though its only about 30 CFM)

The black casing and heat-sink enclose your processor; I see that now. Obviously, you couldn't move that out of the way. And that's actually exhausting air (hot air) onto your components.

Dell's case design is just horrible. For one thing, the processor should be on the other side of the motherboard next to the exhaust fan. That way, it's not exhausting hot air onto your components. For another, your hard drive(s) should be turned 90 degrees so it's not blocking all the air from the front that is feeding your processor. Even then, you have no mesh on the front to feed the air. The whole thing is a trainwreck (no offense--you didn't build it.)

I'd say your best bet is to look underneath all that clutter in that little space you have at the bottom of your case. Right there where your USB connections are--the blue clips on the bottom left of the picture. It looks like you might have room to mount one or two fans down there to circulate air on the other side of your graphics card, which would be better than nothing. It might help a little.

If that doesn't help, then I would probably just leave it alone. You've gone about as far with that Dell case as you can go.