PDA

View Full Version : Good settings for Gefore 7950gx2?

natadiem
07-20-06, 09:04 PM
Hi everyone,

I bought a geforce 7950gx2 two weeks ago. However I have never been impressed by the performance so far.

I only get a pitiful 5280 score at 3dmark06 (basic settings) and in the real world my games doesnít work better than on my Alienware-like laptop with a Gefrorce 7800go gtx.

Here is my configuration:
Athlon 64 3500+
2 gg RAM
A8Sli32 deluxe (I donít remember exactly the name but this the last one with AM2 and Nforce5).
Geforce 7950gx2 (the card is plug to PSU)
PSU 800W
I run spyware doctor and latest Norton and there is not any infection in my system.

So, ok my processor is weak (like many people Iím waiting for the big price drop when Conroe will show up), but 5230 seems way too lowÖ

My driver is 91.31

My settings in new CP:
- Multi-GPU
- -Single Display
- V-sync off (I read in the different threads that it was something to doÖ).
Then I have no clue what to choose!

As Iím not the first one to post a thread about bad settings with geforce 7950gx2, that would be helpful if people who made high score (over 9000) at 3dmark06 to put their settings here.
Please show me a picture of your settings if possible.

Thanks and advance and sorry for my bad English !

HeavyH20
07-20-06, 09:18 PM
Yes, something is odd on that setup. I have a couple of the cards, and 7K on a single core should be possible. 9K with a dual core. 5K is a single card score. Toggle the SLI setting from SLI to multi then back. It "sticks" once in a while if you putz with the 3D settings.

K007
07-20-06, 09:29 PM
Dont touch those sli settings on the new drivers..it seems you wanna leave it @ nvidia recommended..seems to be working perfect then.

Also 3dmark06 takes into account your cpu score as well. I would just post the normak gpu results here and compare those results (sm2/sm3/hdr) I think i got something like 5700ish..and 11k~ on 3dmark05(no cpu test here either).

3dmark06 takes dual core into account fyi. Unless you have a crazy overclock..it should be ok..i have a 3700+ and got 5700..u got 5200ish..

My SM2.0/3.0+HDR scores are

(these were taken along time ago..i dont wanna be ****ed with 06 again..that cpu test is bloody boring to wait for)

natadiem
07-20-06, 09:33 PM
This is what I think, only one card is working with my settings right now.

Hum, I see two places in the new CP where I may switch to this SLI thing.

In the multi-display/Multi-GPU and then when I click on 3D performance and I choose one of the three other choices than ďsingle coreĒ.

If I choose mult-display then my performance are divided by 2Öbut this is my only working card which is divided I guess ( I hopeÖ).

However I donít have anything mentioning about SLI on the 91.31 new CP display.
Even with the advance panel, I donít see anything about it.

Can you tell exactly how you enabled it?

And sorry for my lack of details, I cannot check as Iím at work right now.

jAkUp
07-20-06, 09:48 PM
Have you tried the 91.37 drivers? Also remember that single core CPU's get a significantly lower score in 3DMark06

natadiem
07-20-06, 09:55 PM
K007,

Thanks for your help!
If I understand your post, you think my score is not that bad because of my single core processor?
It would mean that I can double score just by changing to a X2? It seems difficult to believe, even if 3dmark06 take into account dual core, I think I should perform at least 7000.

My laptop does more than 6000 with a 7800go gtx, 2gg ram and a Pentium M 2.26 ghz processor.

I really think only one of these card are working right now.

Can you tell me what did you choose in 3d performance in new or old CP?

Jakup,

No, I didnít try yet. Thatís because I heard people had problem with 91.33.
I suppose 91.37 is a beta right?

Iíll give it a shot when Iíll be back home thanks for the advice.

firehawk
07-20-06, 11:19 PM
is your motherboard an asus a8n sli32?
if so have you updated your bios yet. that board needs a flash inorder to use dual gpu cards correctly

K007
07-20-06, 11:24 PM
K007,

Thanks for your help!
If I understand your post, you think my score is not that bad because of my single core processor?
It would mean that I can double score just by changing to a X2? It seems difficult to believe, even if 3dmark06 take into account dual core, I think I should perform at least 7000.

My laptop does more than 6000 with a 7800go gtx, 2gg ram and a Pentium M 2.26 ghz processor.

I really think only one of these card are working right now.

Can you tell me what did you choose in 3d performance in new or old CP?

Jakup,

No, I didn’t try yet. That’s because I heard people had problem with 91.33.
I suppose 91.37 is a beta right?

I’ll give it a shot when I’ll be back home thanks for the advice.

6000 on 3dmark05. Cant be 06.

As for 06 Score. Yes the cpu test gets a massive boost from the x2 since afik 3dmark06 makes use of the x2.

Go do 3dmark05 on ure 7950. Leave all settings at driver default like when installed. Dont touch the sli settings or anything. Vsync off force that apart from that leave it as it is and run 3dmark05 with the gpu tests, dont bother with cpu test. See what you get from that..i think maybe 9500ish is what you will get..maybe 9700-9900ish..or close to that.

Both old and new CP give me the same results. ATM i am on old CP because i prefer it over the New CP, and i have done FEAR/VST that give me the same results..i dont bother with 3dmark anymore..bench your games.

Xion X2
07-20-06, 11:58 PM
You guys with GX2's need to dump these 91.33 drivers you're using. When I ran the 91.29's I scored 7980 on 3dMark06 and 13,100 on 3dMark05.

Although 3dM06 utilizes dual-core, it doesn't make much of a difference. I have a good friend with a single core Athlon 4000+ @ 2.4gHz who scored a 5950 with a single 1900XT.

Something's wrong. I shouldn't be outscoring you guys by 1,000 points or more with my GTX. Drop the 91.33's if that's what you're using and also make sure "multi-gpu" is selected in your graphics utility. I would also use the old control panel.

OrangeBlast
07-21-06, 12:01 AM
You also need to take into account that the drivers out for the 7950 are very immature. They do need lots of work but are well on their way.

I too wasn't impressed with the my GX2...but after the new driver release and some OCing on my part with my cpu and RAM...i have scored a 8500 in 3d06 with the CPU ON for testing.

K007
07-21-06, 12:28 AM
Yea the dam drivers need more help. Mainly with what settings we are meant to pick, and maybe some form of indication like when sli works that we can enable and we can see if its working or not in the games..

ATM most people are just going blind but the best way to test is to check with games. Put the ress up and see how much of a drop you get.

And i use the old cp with .37..for some odd reason i still have no idea why the .33/.37 give me a long delay on the loading of new cp..

3dmark06 dosen't give you a score if you dont have the cpu score. 05 does though...06 cpu test..0 fps ftw lol..my cpu score first time was like 850

natadiem
07-21-06, 01:00 AM
Thank you for all your comment guys!

So my statement is :
The best driver to use for now is 91.31
Multi-Gpu should be selected.
Single visual should be selected.
No V-sync.
Then I donít need to change anything else in GC settings.
Old CP and new CP doesnít matter.
PSU over 500W is required.
Latest BIOS version is required.

Updating my Bios is something I should have done.
I focused too much on my graphic card settings.
For me itís obvious than only one of my cards is working now.
I know from a different thread that MSI made special Bios just for Geforce 7950gx2.
Itís probably the same with ASUS, what Bios version are you using now? 602?

Iím gonna try this once I go back home.

One last question how can I check if my memory is on dual channel with my bios?
(my motherboard is A8N32 sli deluxe).

K007
07-21-06, 01:41 AM
just grab cpuz.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_7950_gx2_preview/page6.asp

At the bottom you see 3dmark06 score then u see the sm2.0/sm3.0 scores..as you can see they are pretty close to mine..about 100-150 off each..