PDA

View Full Version : I love it when games....

dwhjr77
07-20-06, 11:55 PM
) Being taunted by the last boss in the game that I will not beat her even though she left health, ammo and weapons all over her ship.

2) Being in complete darkness so enemies can't detect me, regardless of 3 brightly glowing lights on my forehead

3) Enemies are aware of my presence, but leave me alone so I'll have all the time in the world to figure out the next puzzle

4) Hitting max level in an MMO not realizing it's fruitless because the mobs are just as powerful as I, and therefore lies the definition of a paradox.

5) Every adolescent feels the need to test their parents, discover girls and feel the need to leave home and venture on a 60 hour journey to save the dying earth from an evil corporation that is ran by other adolescents.

continue the count.

crainger
07-21-06, 12:09 AM
) 2) Being in complete darkness so enemies can't detect me, regardless of 3 brightly glowing lights on my forehead

I heard Tom Clancy actually thought the whole tri-light night vision googles with both night and thermal vision was a stupid idea and didn't want them in the game. Ubisoft said they needed something to help people identify the game and the character. So he agreed and they stayed.

nV`andrew
07-21-06, 12:20 AM
5) Every adolescent feels the need to test their parents, discover girls and feel the need to leave home and venture on a 60 hour journey to save the dying earth from an evil corporation that is ran by other adolescents.

pokemon? :D

Edge
07-21-06, 01:14 AM
Here's a good resource for RPG cliches (which often apply to other genres):

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~dstarks/rpg.html

Some of my personal observations of other games are:

FPS games that allow you to carry literally a dozen weapons weighing hundreds of pounds, yet somehow only one box of ammo for each.

Games where the bad guy is on the brink of doing something evil, yet you can take just as much time as you need to run around, get equipment, do sidequests, and he won't actually start/complete the task until the moment you step through the door into his chamber.

Other characters somehow have supernatural abilities that your main character is totally unable to match for some reason. For example, even though Dr. Freeman is wearing the motorized suit, Alyx is the one that is able to jump from ledge to ledge to the top of a building while you're stuck on the ground.

Bad_Boy
07-21-06, 01:22 AM
I love it when developers think its cool to some how include a section where the player must protect the weakest person yet the most important in the game . Failing to protect means instant game over.

SH64
07-21-06, 01:23 AM
I love it when :
- All doors are locked expect the one that the game designer wanted you to go through.
- Games dont let you destroy/break a simple wooden door when you have a BFG (BFG here stands for Big F*ckin Gun) ... instead you have to find a key or keycard to open it.
- Enemies cant open doors & instead stand before them like idiots.
- Games dont let you lock/close a door after you so you can prevent the enemy from following you.
- Doors that consists of a LARGE piece of glass can't be simply broken to pass through without the need to open the door.
- Games have lots & lots of doors ..

Riptide
07-21-06, 01:53 AM
- Games have lots & lots of doors ..
Remember how awesome Unreal was? It had such a nice mix of levels and no overdosage of doors. There were some sure but it wasn't anything excessive.

nVidi0t
07-21-06, 02:00 AM
I love it then your NPC buddy needs your help but doesnt seem to have trouble soaking up the entire ammo surplus of a small militia.

CaptNKILL
07-21-06, 02:04 AM
I love how the enemy boss always leaves you with 1 hit point and a warning, even when "The Prophecies" say that you are going to come back later and kick his ass.

Mr_LoL
07-21-06, 02:49 AM
I love it how the enemies in far cry still ran around with massive gaping bullet wounds on their legs.

Sidric
07-21-06, 03:02 AM
Haha, yea I remembering shooting some enemies in Far Cry and see the blood spurt out of their necks. Of course, they act like nothing happened and proceed to kick my ass. :D

dwhjr77
07-21-06, 07:52 PM
pokemon? :D

Final Fantasy VII

|MaguS|
07-21-06, 08:01 PM
Final Fantasy VII

They weren't adolescence in FF7, They were all mainly 20+ except for Yuffie (16) who really didn't have parents...

Oh and for the MMORPG comment, You gain in strenght because your not able to defeat the strong enemies but while gaining in strength you suprass the ones that were your equel strenght... you can even out grow bosses in EQ now with the later expansions (2 guilds were able to kill an unkillabled)

Yeah, I know its suppose to be a joke but its flawed ...