PDA

View Full Version : Sony Online Entertainment Licenses Unreal Engine 3

SH64
07-21-06, 01:30 AM
SOE jumping the UE3 wagon ..
Sony Online Entertainment today announced a licensing agreement with Epic Games to use their Unreal Engine 3 for the development of next-generation console and PC-based games. SOE will utilize this technology for a number of future projects, including the DC Comics-based game currently under development at SOE-Austin.
http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=35638&mode=thread&order=0

Mr_LoL
07-21-06, 02:50 AM
The question is what future console games are not using this bloomin engine. Crytek arent getting any love with theirs. Shame really

K007
07-21-06, 04:38 AM
Yea..Crytek looks alot better ><

msxyz
07-21-06, 07:47 AM
Unreal strenght is in its developing tools. I also hear that their licensing scheme is very flexible.

Not to mention that anyone can pick up the Unrel engine FOR FREE from Epic site for non commercial purposes. This "try before you buy" method gives to modders / amateur developers a taste of what it can be done with a 3D engine.

In a certain way, Epic is "breeding" a new generation of developers which know their engine. Something similar can be said to all those people who began 3D modelling on a pirated copy of 3Dstudio and then became professional artists. Which software do you thjink they will chose ? Probably the one they are more familiar with.

stncttr908
07-21-06, 08:54 AM
I wasn't aware of that msxyz. Sweet. :thumbsup:

msxyz
07-21-06, 09:26 AM
Here's the link to the engine distribution: http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/UnrealEngine2Runtime

At BeyondUnreal there's a support forum with a very helpful community

anticitizenzero
07-21-06, 11:47 AM
Anyone starting to see an emerging trend, before we know it there are only going to be like 3-4 main game engines while other developers will see it as pointless to create thier own. Might actually be a good thing if you think about it, games come out faster then.

Mr_LoL
07-21-06, 11:59 AM
Anyone starting to see an emerging trend, before we know it there are only going to be like 3-4 main game engines while other developers will see it as pointless to create thier own. Might actually be a good thing if you think about it, games come out faster then.

That will be good ii suppose. Developers like infinity ward can get decent engines that are coded well because their cod2 engine was crap.

Marvel_us
07-21-06, 12:15 PM
^^Rofl.

lumpyhed
07-21-06, 12:19 PM
That will be good ii suppose. Developers like infinity ward can get decent engines that are coded well because their cod2 engine was crap.

It didnt stop Gearbox from bloating the Unreal engine tho :p

a12ctic
07-21-06, 12:41 PM
one engine wouldnt be good, the games would all seem simular, there should be several good engines out that everyone uses, for ex. if the market just stuck to d3, source, crytek, and unreal 3

Marvel_us
07-21-06, 12:47 PM
Then when would be able to determine when to make new engines and push the envelope?

I think it's great devs are using engines like UE3 and D3 but I still like the fact others are trying to do it themselves. Even if it turns out crap there might be ones that come out kickass.

Edge
07-21-06, 02:30 PM
one engine wouldnt be good, the games would all seem simular, there should be several good engines out that everyone uses, for ex. if the market just stuck to d3, source, crytek, and unreal 3
I don't think it would make a difference if only one engine is used as long as that engine is flexible enough to be used in any kind of game and style. For example, the Unreal engine was used for XIII, Splinter Cell, and Lineage 2, but the games have nothing in common from a visual or gameplay style. I'd rather see one major engine that supports all the major technological capabilities instead of a bunch of different engines that each have their strengths and weaknesses. Although only having one engine available has it's own set of problems along with it that aren't caused by the engine itself...