PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion lacking gameplay variation for non-spellcasters?

Gaco
07-22-06, 04:45 AM
I finally pulled myself together and purchased this game for X360. I have played for no more than an hour or so now, but I'm starting to think what's really in for the warrior, acher or rogue-type? I've been reading some about this game and it seems that you later on gets different kinds of slashes as a warrior, and that seems to add a bit variation, but what about the archer? And especially what about the rogue?

I loved Baldurs Gate II because the rogue really had a wide variety of special abilities, moves, and attacks. But in Oblivion it's only couple of treats seems to be sneaking up from behind and gaining a damage modifier, stealing from people and.. what more?

The spellcaster gets a lot of different spells, also a good deal of non-combat spells. Bottom line is: how much variation and fun am I really in for if I choose a non-spellcaster? The gameplay seems a bit more simple and boring without magic but I could be wrong. Can anyone convince me otherwise?

Becoming
07-23-06, 12:44 AM
Why limit yourself? There are quite a few spells that are useful to have up your sleeve as a sneaky type (like for opening locks, invisibility/chameleon, detect life, night eye, etc..). For an archer you can improve your alchemy and whip up lots of nice poisons and such to add some punch to your shots (and later when you improve you have a zoom/snipe type ability and so forth). just play more, an hour barely counts as turning the game on when it comes to Oblivion.

K007
07-23-06, 01:53 AM
I just finished the main quest awhile back..pretty easy..abit dull but very short...Tons of side quests..quests which dont touch the main story..and once i finished it..i aint gonna load up oblivion again..

Should have made more of the side quests come into the main story line.

Gaco
07-23-06, 05:21 AM
Why limit yourself? There are quite a few spells that are useful to have up your sleeve as a sneaky type (like for opening locks, invisibility/chameleon, detect life, night eye, etc..). For an archer you can improve your alchemy and whip up lots of nice poisons and such to add some punch to your shots (and later when you improve you have a zoom/snipe type ability and so forth). just play more, an hour barely counts as turning the game on when it comes to Oblivion.

You have to specialize to a certain degree AFAIK because you must choose som major/primary skills right? What I'm trying to find out is if there's much variation to gameplay if e.g. I choose to because an archer as primary focus. Sure I can make poison arrows, but how is that compared to being a spellcaster for complexity? :)

Acid Rain
07-23-06, 12:01 PM
One thing about this game, it's only as good as the player. You can make you want of it. If you have limited creativity, the game itself will be limited. If you are highly creative, the game itself will offer nearly limitless play.

Becoming
07-23-06, 12:06 PM
You have to specialize to a certain degree AFAIK because you must choose som major/primary skills right? What I'm trying to find out is if there's much variation to gameplay if e.g. I choose to because an archer as primary focus. Sure I can make poison arrows, but how is that compared to being a spellcaster for complexity? :)

Alchemy is a very complex and useful skill to any character. You certainly pick your majors and such creating a character, but since you only improve at skills you use I wouldn't say you are limited to anything unless you choose to be.

CaptNKILL
07-23-06, 12:50 PM
If you want to play a stealthy character, this plugin right here adds a HUGE amount of fun and strategy to the gameplay:
http://www.tessource.net/files/cache/2443.html

It allows you to actually hide from people after you attack them. If you fly out from a shadow and sneak attack someone, and then run down an alley and around a corner, they wont just "know" where you are and then kill you... they will look for you (and if they look the wrong way, *BAM* you can sneak-attack them again).

This was something the original game was lacking, most likely for balance reasons. I can see how this could make the game quite a bit easier, but if you find that it isnt hard enough, just up the difficulty a bit. I noticed a few people running in circles once or twice, so the mod isnt perfect, but overall it seriously improves the stealth combat part of the game.

If you play a stealthy character, I also recommend that you use marksmanship and alchemy as major skills. Thats where the fun really starts. And it multiplies with the mod above (shoot an arrow, run through the shadows to another position while the enemy looks around like an idiot, shoot him in the back to finish him off...).

I think I might have to play this some more today :D

Zelda_fan
07-23-06, 12:58 PM
This was something the original game was lacking, most likely for balance reasons. I can see how this could make the game quite a bit easier, but if you find that it isnt hard enough, just up the difficulty a bit. I noticed a few people running in circles once or twice, so the mod isnt perfect, but overall it seriously improves the stealth combat part of the game.

..and it also makes the game incredibly easy (if it wasn't easy enough to begin with).

CaptNKILL
07-23-06, 01:11 PM
..and it also makes the game incredibly easy (if it wasn't easy enough to begin with).
I mentioned that it makes the game easier. I just find that the stealth gameplay is much more fun when you can hide. Otherwise an assassin type character is just a weak melee fighter that can get one good hit in before having to go toe to toe with something much stronger. It makes more sense to be able to hide from enemies if you get out of their line of sight.

If it makes the game too easy, turn up the difficulty. If that doesnt help, get rid of the mod.

I liked it enough to keep it and the game still isnt a walk in the park at a reasonable difficulty setting.

... then again I'm not uber 1337 with a 1 hit kill magic item and maxed out skills and stats. I play more conservatively, exploring and doing quests, and I was using the mod that makes higher level equipment much harder to find. Thats probably what balanced out most of the difficulty.

Gaco
07-23-06, 04:11 PM
Thanks capkill, but since I'm playing the X360 version it's not really possible :)

Anyway I haven't heard anybody contradicting me so far and I assume that being a spellcaster is much more varied and is more likely to be fun in the long run - now I'm off to play Oblivion :)

CaptNKILL
07-23-06, 04:20 PM
Thanks capkill, but since I'm playing the X360 version it's not really possible :)

Anyway I haven't heard anybody contradicting me so far and I assume that being a spellcaster is much more varied and is more likely to be fun in the long run - now I'm off to play Oblivion :)
Woops. Yeah, I forgot you were playing the 360 version. Sorry about that.

I havent actually played a pure spellcaster myself, so I'm not sure how it compares to another type of character. A straight up melee fighter probably isnt all that exciting, but I've had a great time with a stealthy assassin character.

I guess one important thing here is that a pure character of any kind (all magic, all fighting, all stealth) isnt going to be half as interesting as a mixed character. Different mixes of each type of skill will get you a more well rounded character. My thief\assassin got a lot more fun when I added the "detect life" spell to my arsenal. Making poisons and potions is awesome as well, so alchemy is almost a requirement for any stealthy kind of character... it can really turn the tables in a very tough fight.

|MaguS|
07-23-06, 04:21 PM
Im playing a stealth Archer and its a blast... only time I swing a blade is when its not worth the arrows (like crabs and rats).

CaptNKILL
07-23-06, 04:26 PM
Im playing a stealth Archer and its a blast... only time I swing a blade is when its not worth the arrows (like crabs and rats).
Have you found any "arrows of immolation"?

God those are hilarious... I found 6 of them early on in the game and I still have them. Whenever I want to just screw around without saving my game, I attack a few people, get 15 guards after me, and then hit the center of them with 3 arrows of immolation (i think its 50 fire damage in a 15 foot radius) and they all explode in ball of fire and ragdoll off of walls :D

Another great thing to do is to put paralyzing poisons on an arrow and wait for enemies to come near a cliff or hill... its great watching them roll :lol:

Gaco
07-23-06, 04:33 PM
Heh yeah ok.. I'm just used to the "jack of all trades" equals "master of nothing and not really worth it" in games like Baldurs Gate 2, real life D&D etc.. maybe I should just play the game really mixed in the first 2-3 hours and automatically I will be using the things I like the most.. hopefully. Anyway I just hope you don't have to choose those binding skills that sets your primary focus too early in game - I'd like to try a little of each :)

Gaco
07-23-06, 06:35 PM
I have always been exceptionally weak at choosing - I just can't ever choose classes in RPG's and I always change my mind at least once! :S

Just curious, which classes are you guys playing? Any custom classes? I'm definently thinking of doing some hybrid between stealth and magic because I think the bow is cool and I'd also like to do some magic but how much emphasis on each, I haven't decided on yet..

|MaguS|
07-23-06, 06:42 PM
I always make custom classes because I try to generalize, Im not one who plays a do it all type cahracter.

My character is a Rogue of type, She sspecializes in theiving and the use of a bow. I even got the mod that fixes bows by improving their range and speed (both NPC and Player so its not one sided and cheap). I only use light armor and focus on stealth. I can run faster then my black horse...

Becoming
07-23-06, 11:01 PM
I was a happy camper the first time I ran down a deer on foot and knocked it the hell out with my fists. :D

Gaco
07-24-06, 12:19 PM
I always make custom classes because I try to generalize, Im not one who plays a do it all type cahracter.

My character is a Rogue of type, She sspecializes in theiving and the use of a bow. I even got the mod that fixes bows by improving their range and speed (both NPC and Player so its not one sided and cheap). I only use light armor and focus on stealth. I can run faster then my black horse...

Heh what did you call the class? "sneaky bastard"?

KatzZero
07-24-06, 01:02 PM
Heh what did you call the class? "sneaky bastard"?

Good Name ...:D