PDA

View Full Version : can you buy a laptop shell and pop in a cpu?

bugmage
07-22-06, 07:56 AM
can you pop in a new processor in a laptop, or buy one w/o one? do they use same socket types liek 939?

spoop
07-22-06, 09:41 AM
Yeah, but they're hard to find, AOpen makes them, or did.

Starscream
07-22-06, 12:00 PM
Yes you can, but they are horribly overpriced. The cost price of a whole retail laptop is often less than one of those machines that has no cpu, memory or hd. It makes no sense at all.

Banko
07-22-06, 12:17 PM
They aren't overpriced you just have to know where to look, often they are cheaper.

Asus makes good ones. like the S96j for example.

bugmage
07-22-06, 02:55 PM
anyone know of any examples maybe a site?

-can you pull one out of a normal laptop

zoomy942
07-22-06, 04:44 PM
avadirect.com

and excaliburpc.com. i bought my quanta kn1=-m from there. took a CPU out of Dell, dropped it and and it works great

Starscream
07-22-06, 05:33 PM
They aren't overpriced you just have to know where to look, often they are cheaper.

Asus makes good ones. like the S96j for example.

As a computer retailer I'll tell you flat out you are wrong. It's $400 canadian cost price to buy a full Acer laptop, that's WITH Windows XP. The cost prices of ANY of those Asus machines without any parts is several hundred dollars more.

edit - added the word tell

zoomy942
07-22-06, 06:31 PM
As a computer retailer I'll you flat out you are wrong. It's $400 canadian cost price to buy a full Acer laptop, that's WITH Windows XP. The cost prices of ANY of those Asus machines without any parts is several hundred dollars more.

agreed. buyng asus is like buying a PORSCHE.. you are paying for the name