PDA

View Full Version : X2 and X3 on Steam!

Pages : [1] 2

PeterJensen
07-23-06, 07:05 AM
(nana2)

And WITHOUT starforce :p

Both games come with all the new patches and will from now on be patched by steam. ;)

http://storefront.steampowered.com/v2/index.php?area=game&AppId=2810

http://storefront.steampowered.com/v2/screenshots/2810/0000000431.jpg

http://storefront.steampowered.com/v2/screenshots/2810/0000000430.jpg

http://storefront.steampowered.com/v2/screenshots/2810/0000000432.jpg

Lfctony
07-23-06, 08:02 AM
Nice... Hopefully they'll attract more developers, wouldn't mind preloading the game and playing it on release. :)

xbob
07-23-06, 09:46 AM
That is great news, the only thing that kept me from X3 was StarForce.

Riptide
07-23-06, 11:11 AM
Awesome but are the saved games from the regular retail version going to be compatible?? I don't want to start over in that game.

Namrok
07-23-06, 11:36 AM
Hmmm, looks interesting. Reading reviews and all of them mention how horrible the manual is, and how horribly buggy the game itself is. But those reviews are also months old. How's that changed by now?

Riptide
07-23-06, 11:47 AM
Having played the game when it was using patch 1.3 until 1.4.2 came out I can say it has steadily improved. CTD is noowhere near the problem it was with 1.3 and also true widescreen support has been introduced and looks gorgeous.

The game is now where it should've been upon release IMO.

|MaguS|
07-23-06, 12:03 PM
Hmm, Just having it on Steam makes me want to rebuy X2. I never cared for the starforce protection as a reason to not buy a game but having it on steam makes it so much easier to install.

Just bought X3. :D

Namrok
07-23-06, 12:14 PM
Hmmm, I would like to buy X3. Steam is so exploiting the fact that a purchase under $20 doesn't even feel like a purchase to me! I'm kind of surprised they got away with that price actually. The game is still $50 for a box copy of the official site.

Ah well, its mine now! Perhaps I should pick up a gamepad for this game.

Gaco
07-23-06, 12:20 PM
Those of you who has X3, what do you think of it?

stncttr908
07-23-06, 12:23 PM
I hear it's a blast to play now that the patches have ironed out the major bugs. I was thinking about picking this one up off eBay, but now I'll definitely nab it on Steam!

PeterJensen
07-23-06, 12:32 PM
This is why i love steam. I really really love steam :)
Ohh and what at nice looking game. Anny one want to post pictures of their ship? :)

Namrok
07-23-06, 12:52 PM
This is why i love steam. I really really love steam :)
Ohh and what at nice looking game. Anny one want to post pictures of their ship? :)

Yeah, I gotta say steam has improved for all games that aren't by Valve. Personally I think HL2 is still overpriced (but not horribly), and there is just no excuse that I can download Episode 1 and there is still the stutter bug. But man, $17 for X3 is a great deal.

arioch21
07-23-06, 12:53 PM
I have had X3 since release, I enjoy the game a great deal and the game runs flawless on my PC with current patch, I havent had any crashes or issues with it.

the game has a steep learning curve but very rewarding once you get the interface down. Also check out the mods at the X3 forums in egosoft, they add alot to the game from merc guilds, merchants, military, assassin missions etc.
http://forum2.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=110772

The game is deep and you can play it pretty much however you want, I myself havent touched the story line, im too caught up on trading and building my empire, stealing pirate ships and selling them and improving my own. I have several stations selling products to make money on the side.

stncttr908
07-23-06, 12:59 PM
I'm a huge Freelancer fan, but I found it lacked some depth in areas. I played all the time with my friend and we'd run trade routes and attack pirate groups, but it ultimately wore thin after we had purchased the best ships and upgrades. Hopefully X3 will give that extra depth that Freelancer lacks.

How about X2? Is it worth purchasing it for $14? Or will X3 consume enough of my time? :D

arioch21
07-23-06, 01:06 PM
X3 offers alot more then X2, both though take time to learn but X3 has a faster more enjoyable combat imo and space physics. biggest difference would have to be control, X3 mouse + keyboard handles nicely, as to X2 I was stuck with using my PS2 controller which I got useto but was surprised at how well the keyboard+mouse on X3 was. I cant give you any opinions on joystick controls for either game.

I would take X3 over X2 anytime, but like I said, the key to getting into this game is learning its interface. So its upto you, there should be demo's of both games out on the net.

ArrowMk84
07-23-06, 01:42 PM
Will they have any kind of "upgrade" offer for current owners of X3? I'd love to have it without Starforce.

Riptide
07-23-06, 02:01 PM
Cool egosoft forums says the savegames from the non steam version should work.

http://forum2.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=147590

arioch21
07-23-06, 03:12 PM
Will they have any kind of "upgrade" offer for current owners of X3? I'd love to have it without Starforce.

well they said they will be coming out with a no-cd/dvd patch for the game, hopefully once thats released there wont be a need for people to keep SF to play for those with the original versions.

Edge
07-23-06, 04:07 PM
A nice way to play a non-SF version of the game. Although I still don't like the idea of having it linked to an account and not getting a real manual with it, the games sound pretty deep so going manual-less seems pretty difficult.

|MaguS|
07-23-06, 05:05 PM
A nice way to play a non-SF version of the game. Although I still don't like the idea of having it linked to an account and not getting a real manual with it, the games sound pretty deep so going manual-less seems pretty difficult.

Trust me, the manual was useless... It was so horribly written that a 1st grader could have done a better job. I mean the table on contents was wrong...

stncttr908
07-23-06, 06:28 PM
The downloaded one comes with a PDF of the manual, which seems to list everything properly.

xbob
07-23-06, 06:37 PM
So how is performance on this game with specs like mine (in the sig)?

|MaguS|
07-23-06, 07:33 PM
Why ask us? Try it for yourself, there is a demo available.

xbob
07-23-06, 08:11 PM
Why ask us? Try it for yourself, there is a demo available.

While I appreciate the point of your reply, I would still appreciate an actual answer as I don't see a demo on STEAM yet and I don't know if the original demo had StarForce.(nana2)

stncttr908
07-23-06, 08:17 PM
I believe it does have Starforce. I'm pretty sure your card can handle 1680x1050 w/2x AA & 8x AF at least. It's a very taxing game (2x AA & 8x AF @ 1280x1024 with some slow moments here) but you don't need super high framerates in this type of game.