PDA

View Full Version : Dual Monitors

Bearclaw
07-23-06, 02:12 PM
I just got a second monitor and hooked it up to my 7600. It has four options that can be configured for it.

Single Display
Clone
Horizontal Span
Vertical Span

Is there any way to do it so I can be doing two things at once. To try to be more exact, I want one mouse cursor and two seperate displays each with it's own start menu. I want to able to play a game in one screen and be online on a browser in another. I want to be doing two different things, one on monitor 1, and another thing on monitor 2. Is that possible?

superklye
07-23-06, 02:32 PM
Dual View does that, but you can't have two start bars. I use dual view and it's like having two separate monitors but can act as one VERY large monitor if need be.

Bearclaw
07-23-06, 02:43 PM
Is it possible to play a game on one a do somethign else in another?

superklye
07-23-06, 03:01 PM
If you have four hands and can control two separate mice and keyboards at the same time, sure.

FierceDeityLink
07-23-06, 03:17 PM
UltraMon (http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/) may help you out, but I don't think there's any way of having two start bars (though, it lets you add a separate task bar for other monitors).

snilloconator
07-23-06, 04:08 PM
Is it possible to play a game on one a do somethign else in another?

Bear their just messin with ya! I know what your trying to say.... If you have a single card you can run two monitors for gaming (meaning it doesn't work with SLI or Crossfire)! What you can do is move your applications over to the other monitor while in dual view! If I'm not gaming I take my 7950gx2 down to single GPU then I run Unreal editor on one monitor and other apps like Maya... works very nice. But if your gaming and running dual view you can run other apps in the other window like yahoo and such pretty cool!

ViN86
07-23-06, 04:33 PM
Bear their just messin with ya! I know what your trying to say.... If you have a single card you can run two monitors for gaming (meaning it doesn't work with SLI or Crossfire)! What you can do is move your applications over to the other monitor while in dual view! If I'm not gaming I take my 7950gx2 down to single GPU then I run Unreal editor on one monitor and other apps like Maya... works very nice. But if your gaming and running dual view you can run other apps in the other window like yahoo and such pretty cool!
someone didnt teach you how to use an exclamation point :bleh:

but besides that, he's correct. you can use dualview to play a game and have other things open. however, the game will only run (for me at least) on the primary monitor. also, it doesnt work well if the two resolutions arent the same.

superklye
07-23-06, 04:57 PM
Not true. I've got my 20.1" and my 17" in dual view and it works fine. It can be a pain to turn SLI on because, besides having to ****ing restart every time, it sets the 20" to 1280x1024, but other than that, there aren't any problems/issues with running the different resolutions.

Bearclaw
07-23-06, 06:01 PM
someone didnt teach you how to use an exclamation point :bleh:

but besides that, he's correct. you can use dualview to play a game and have other things open. however, the game will only run (for me at least) on the primary monitor. also, it doesnt work well if the two resolutions arent the same.

I have horizontal view on.If i amon dual view then thegame is on both, the same thing on on 2 monitors. When i am on horizontal view, the game goes on one and the othr screen blacks and says no video.

EDIT: I just went to options with the game (HL2) and I set ti to be run in a window. It runs on one while the interne tbrowser is on another. I got what I wanted, thanks for all your help guys. If onyl the HL2 windows was full screen on one. It's small.

snilloconator
07-23-06, 06:16 PM
Not true. I've got my 20.1" and my 17" in dual view and it works fine. It can be a pain to turn SLI on because, besides having to ****ing restart every time, it sets the 20" to 1280x1024, but other than that, there aren't any problems/issues with running the different resolutions.

Same here super I have absolutely no problems changing diff resolutions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ViN86
07-23-06, 08:24 PM
i was talking about playing a game with the two at different resolutions. for me, it would stretch one of them out beyond belief and it was worthless.

but if youre just in windows, then it works fine. thats the point of dualview; to run one monitor of any resolution as extra desktop space.

superklye
07-24-06, 12:18 AM
I have horizontal view on.If i amon dual view then thegame is on both, the same thing on on 2 monitors. When i am on horizontal view, the game goes on one and the othr screen blacks and says no video.

EDIT: I just went to options with the game (HL2) and I set ti to be run in a window. It runs on one while the interne tbrowser is on another. I got what I wanted, thanks for all your help guys. If onyl the HL2 windows was full screen on one. It's small.
Dual view shouldn't mirror what's on one monitor onto the other. That's what Clone does. Dual view is supposed to be two independent monitors.