PDA

View Full Version : NVidia GeForce 7900 GT crashing

Fulco
07-24-06, 08:42 AM
Errors:
- Digiguide, a TV-listings program, crashes when switching from fullscreen to Windowed mode. The monitor start switching on and off, a it is imposible to get the Taskmanager on screen.
- MyTheatre, a Satellite program, has a similar bug: when an overlay mode is used, switching from fullsceen to windowed mode (and vise versa) crashes the program

Until a week ago the system was fine.
(sorry, but what changed/happened in the last week, I can't recall precisely)
Programs like IE 6, Outlook, Half Life 2, Myst V are functioning fine.

I tried reinstalling the NVidia drivers (uses a Driver Cleaner tool), tried a beta version. Reinstalled DirectX. Did a System Restore.

System hardware:
- Intel(R) Desktop Board D955XCS
- Intel(R) Pentium D 3.2Ghz
- Kingston KVR533D2E4K2/2G
- 2 Seagate ST3250624NS as RAID1
- 1 Seagate ST3500641NS as NON-RAID
- Enlight EN-8721
- NVidia GeForce 7900GT
- LiteON DVD R/RW DRW-65160P
- ThermalTake VA9000BWS with BTX kit
- ThermalTake Purepower TWV 500W ATX 12V 2.0

System Software:
- Windows XP Professional SP2 with all Updates
- Latest drivers Intel, NVidia ForceWare 91.31 OR 91.33 beta

Please help,
Fulco

Van_Dammesque
07-25-06, 06:47 AM
Try using 3d mark 06 and run the deep freeze test, if you get artifacting then you have the usual 7900 GT problem. A lot are being RMA'ed, if you have the above problem then send it back:(

K007
07-25-06, 07:41 AM
Another one bites the dust?..

Man why are retailers even selling the old version of the card..

I had to go through hell to get my gtx returned to the retailer and upgrade to the GX2..last time i am gonna buy something from there..but sadly it is hard to blame him when the real problem lies with nvidia it self..but still..selling faulty products is bs..i had to pretty much have a big conversation with the guy and it got really heated up..and this after showing the emails i got from Leadtek that admit that there is a problem onthe cards..very lame..hope you the best of luck..

I also never heard of purepower antec..i think you mean smart power..or true power..btw..alot of people said it might be my psu that was causing the problem on my gtx..just remember..its better to first get to a different complete model first then decide from there...if i did get the new psu..i would have wasted alot of money on something i never needed in the first place..gx2 running fine on my rig 24/7

HL2 also dosen't seem to tax the card btw..

Run FEAR/TRL (Next GEN)/ 3d MARK06..

One thing i noticed was pushing the card to the max seem to screw it..like when i ran fear first time 2xaa/1280 ress..it went fine first run..second run..was horrible...disable aa and magic massive fps boost..re-enable aa..smooth..for like 20 seconds..then craps out to horrible speeds..there is something really wrong with the card..and the solution from nvidia seems the obvious memory replacement on the card..there cauld be other changes too like the way the card is meant to work..either way...very dissapointed with nvidia...i rather have the GTX than the GX2 just for the better heat control on the card..but sadly..bieng waited 4-5 weeks + 2-3 more weeks..and thats a 'maybe'...i was forced to go gx2 or the x1900xt..and that thing heats up as well :/..

Happy with the GX2..but angry with nvidia. Best way to test your cards is to run fear with max settings and just make the card come to its knees..(if it is possible)..if its fine after awhile..then your in luck..but if you get funny dots/flashing desktop on exit..welcome to RMA.

When i played CS:S first time...gx2 ran fine..it seems that when the card is taxed..it craps out..oblivion played fine for sometime at stock speeds (650/800)...but maybe 10 mins in..craps out..FEAR seems to be the only game that really made the card crap out almost instantly...

Fulco
07-25-06, 10:33 AM
Yes, "3d mark 06" "deep freeze test" gives artefacts, and a blue screen error:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: System Error
Event Category: (102)
Event ID: 1003
Error code 100000ea, parameter1 87acdda8, parameter2 87d8d478, parameter3 bace7cbc, parameter4 00000001.

Tanks for helping me with finding the root of the problem.

squall_leonhart
07-25-06, 06:19 PM
whats the amp rating for the 12v rail on that psu.?

if its over 24 it should be fine, in which case its the card.

Fulco
07-26-06, 07:00 AM
Thermaltake PurePower TWV 500W PSU:
Max Load: +12V (1) 18A
Max Load: +12V (2) 18A
Max Load: -12V 0.5A

squall_leonhart
07-26-06, 09:18 AM
ahh nice, Dual +12v rails. its perfectly fine then,.. gotta be the card

Conquerz
08-27-06, 02:46 AM
The monitor start switching on and off, a it is imposible to get the Taskmanager on screen.
Try using 3d mark 06 and run the deep freeze test, if you get artifacting then you have the usual 7900 GT problem.
Best way to test your cards is to run fear with max settings and just make the card come to its knees..(if it is possible)..if its fine after awhile..then your in luck..but if you get funny dots/flashing desktop on exit..welcome to RMA.

Hi, I got a 7600GT by Asus and I am getting exactly same problem. Flashing desktop at end of Deep Freeze and during F.E.A.R.

I can play all other games like Oblivion, Quake 4, BF2, CCS, HL2:E1, Hitman BM etc. etc. at 1280x1024 with maximum in-game settings with excellent FPS and no problems at all.

Only F.E.A.R. and Deep Freeze in 3dmarks06 giving problems.

Lot of people have suggested RMA. Do you think this is good idea seeing that so many people are having the same problem? Is it worth waiting for a driver update maybe?

Conquerz
08-28-06, 03:16 PM
Ticking "Force software vertex shaders" in 3dmark06 before running Deep Freeze passed the test without problems.

Setting the "Shaders" to minimum in F.E.A.R. worked for me. Game seems to run fine now without crashing.