PDA

View Full Version : UT2004 and X-Fi: popping in general/on certain weapon sounds...

Pages : [1] 2

ajm786
07-24-06, 11:10 AM
I just bought a X-Fi. Then returned it and got another one.

I am running the latest driver updates on my entire rig, latest patches for UT2004 (3369), and latest driver updates for the sound card.

I am running in Game Mode. In UT2004, the sound is very staticy, and the sound pops a lot. ESPECIALLY when using the assault rifle and the pulse gun, you can actually hear the sound popping, almost like the sound card is struggling to output the sound.

I've already been through the run of the mill, playing with UT2004 ini files, but the issue is NOT with UT. All I have to do is downgrade my sound card back to my Audigy 2 ZS, and the sound is PERFECT, bar none.

I would think the sound with the X-Fi would get better, but it got worse?

I've already:

1. Played with BIOS PCI latency settings.
2. Played with the volume adjustment to make sure the sound is not clipping due to too high levels.
3. Played with the amount of channels output in the UT2004 ini file.
4. Uninstalled and re-installed UT2004 with or without the X-Fi patch.
5. Uninstalled and re-installed the sound card, using Driver Cleaner Pro (believe me, I've done it enough to know how to un-install/re-install properly :D ).
6. Re-installed and verified OpenAL latest version installed.

Once again, at the end, I just uninstalled the X-Fi, reinstall my Audigy 2 ZS, install the latest drivers for it, and voila. It sounds perfect.

What gives?

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Rakeesh
07-24-06, 02:57 PM
I don't own an x-fi, but I am pretty sure that this is a well known hardware problem with x-fi cards. From what I understand, it is caused by some kind of bandwidth bottleneck somewhere in the PCI bus on several different hardware configurations.

ajm786
07-24-06, 02:59 PM
I don't own an x-fi, but I am pretty sure that this is a well known hardware problem with x-fi cards. From what I understand, it is caused by some kind of bandwidth bottleneck somewhere in the PCI bus on several different hardware configurations.

I can't see how that's possible. I mean, didn't they learn from their previous sound cards about this?

And how does that account for the fact that when I put my Audigy 2 ZS back in, everything works perfect? The X-Fi is supposed to be a much faster/better piece of silicon anyway? :rolleyes:

Rakeesh
07-24-06, 03:04 PM
There are a lot of things about creative that I don't understand. For example, why they haven't changed their drivers one bit since people have been complaining about them heavily (due to bloat, bugs, etc) for the last 7 years.

But FWIW, the x-fi would have higher bandwidth requirements than the audigy is my guess, especially since they relie on all of that worthless extra DSP stuff.

Rakeesh
07-24-06, 03:09 PM
BTW a quick google search found this:

http://xfi.blogspot.com/2006/06/soundblaster-x-fi-crackling-and.html

But I would be in doubt as to whether or not this would fix the problem. At first, for the longest time, supposedly creative ignored this problem and told their customers that they were just hearing things. Then there was a large uproar about that on blogs, forums, etc, so then after a while creative finally admitted that the problem exists. Now they are saying that it affects only .03% of their userbase? I don't quite buy that with the number of complaints I have been hearing of.

It is interesting to note how one of their suggestions involves reducing the memory clock speed of your video card. That alone indicates that this is a bandwidth issue and no amount of software fixes will ever fully resolve it, rather they will just make it less noticeable at best.

ajm786
07-24-06, 03:17 PM
Yep, as usual, none of that absurd garbage actually applied to my case.

jAkUp
07-24-06, 04:41 PM
Yea I have this problem. I just live with it now. I keep the X-Fi because overall it just sounds alot better than my Audigy 2. Even with the popping nonsense.

It has to do with bandwith issues. Hopefully my upcoming NForce 590 board won't have it.

ajm786
07-24-06, 04:44 PM
I keep the X-Fi because overall it just sounds alot better than my Audigy 2.

This is an UNDERSTATEMENT. In music playing, the X-Fi totally TRASHES my Audigy 2 ZS. That's why I was trying so hard to keep it, but it looks like I won't be able to do that.

LBJM
07-25-06, 08:36 PM
there's a 2.09 driver update you can install it's suppose to fix the problem

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1447

there's even beta drivers for vista

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1452

ajm786
07-25-06, 08:43 PM
there's a 2.09 driver update you can install it's suppose to fix the problem

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1447

there's even beta drivers for vista

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1452

Thank you, but I've mentioned I already have that driver installed.

LBJM
07-25-06, 09:16 PM
that blog links to the beta version of 2.09 the version I linked to is the final version of the driver.

ajm786
07-25-06, 09:17 PM
Yes, the version I have installed is the final version, direct from Creative Labs.

LBJM
07-26-06, 09:01 PM
then request an RMA from creative labs.

Digital_Trans
07-28-06, 04:26 PM
I've got two suggestions for you.

1.) Install the Unreal Tournament 2004 Creative X-Fi Patch SBXF_UTPATCH_US_3369 http://www.soundblaster.com/products/x-fi/technology/ut2004/

2.) If the patch fails to correct your problem RMA the card back to Creative. You may find it very hard to get Creative to replace your sound card. They might try to charge you a small fee to do a repair or replacement on your card. I made it very clear to them that I wasn't going to pay a damn cent for their own defective product which failed on me before the one year manufacturer's warranty was up. Good luck! :D

ajm786
07-28-06, 04:43 PM
Ok, I installed the UT2004 X-fi patch again. The new sounds seem.....ok, for lack of a better word. I prefer the original sounds, but it seems like this fixed it.

I'm wondering why they had to go in and change the sounds. Weren't the orginals fine, or were they too high quality for the X-fi to handle?

Digital_Trans
07-29-06, 03:40 AM
Ok, I installed the UT2004 X-fi patch again. The new sounds seem.....ok, for lack of a better word. I prefer the original sounds, but it seems like this fixed it.

I'm wondering why they had to go in and change the sounds. Weren't the orginals fine, or were they too high quality for the X-fi to handle?

No, mate it's the other way around. X-Fi can handle the old UT2004 sounds and the new ones just fine. You have to remember, UT2004 has been around for awhile.
Fact: I know that some of my cracking/popping sounds came from me overclocking my CPU/Video cards. Try not overclocking anything...see if that also helps! ;)
Last but least, RMA the card back to Creative. When I did an RMA I got a revised Creative X-Fi with the updated firmware and heatsink right on the X-Fi sound card's processor.

Computer specs:

Internal Hardware:

Koolance PC3-700 Series Case Color: Silver
Corsair XMS-2 Pro Series 4GB (4x 1024MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 675MHz (PC2 5400) Dual Channel
Intel Pentium D Extreme Edition 840 3.2GHz (HT) Dual Core Overclocked to 3.6GHz
Asus P5N32 SLI-Deluxe Full X16 SLI Support Motherboard
BFG 7900 GTX OC 512MB SLI
Creative Labs X-Fi Fatality X64-Ram
SinTek 600+ Watt Power Supply SLI Ready!
Western Digital SATA-36GB-Raptor/10,000 RPM 8MB Cache-OS
Western Digital SATA-75GB-Raptor/10,000 RPM 8MB Cache-Games
Western Digital SATA-150GB-Raptor/10,000 RPM 16MB Cache-Games
Western Digital SATA-250GB-Caviar SE/7,200 RPM 16MB Cache-Storage
Lite-On DVD/CD/R/RW Dual Layer Burner
Windows XP x64 Professional Edition

External hardware:

Dell Ultra Sharp 24.3" HD/Digital/Analog LCD Monitor Model: 2405FPW
Logitech 5.1 Z-5500 Digital Speaker Home th system
Logitech Wireless MX 1000 Laser Mouse
Logitech G15 USB Keyboard
Logitech RumblePAD 2 USB Joy Stick
HP All-In-One Printer,Scanner,Copier Model: 2400xi
Korg Triton Le 76 Key Musical Work Station

LBJM
07-31-06, 04:32 AM
here's a better fix

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblaster&message.id=61394&query.id=80839#M61394

a quote from the asus forum where I found this.

1) Disable BIOS Cool'n'Quiet.
2) Download CPU Rightmark and install it.

On Rightmark -> Advanced CPU Settings, select Good Phase Error 8 us (mine was at 100 us). It solved the problem instantly.

(before this, the only was I could avoid the popping / cracking was to select Audio Creation Mode in the Audio Console and enable Bit-Matched Playback - now every mode works perfectly).

Digital_Trans
08-01-06, 05:45 AM
Hey thanks LBJM, Which version of CPU Rightmark do I download? Would it be CPU RightMark Lite 2005 v1.3?
I'm using Intel, not AMD so no need to disable Cool 'N' Quiet. Please comment on the version of CPU Rightmark I'll need to download. Also note, I'm using Windows xp x64.

Digital_Trans
08-02-06, 01:47 AM
here's a better fix

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblaster&message.id=61394&query.id=80839#M61394

a quote from the asus forum where I found this.

Which version should I download please?

jAkUp
08-02-06, 02:38 AM
As for my popping noises, I just live with it now, some games are worse than others. BF2 is terrible, Fear is horrible as well, other games not so bad. DoD is fine, and a few others.

Prey and quake4 are pretty good too. Hopefully this issue is resolved with my NForce590 board.

Tikiman44
08-02-06, 02:53 AM
As for my popping noises, I just live with it now, some games are worse than others. BF2 is terrible, Fear is horrible as well, other games not so bad. DoD is fine, and a few others.

Prey and quake4 are pretty good too. Hopefully this issue is resolved with my NForce590 board.

I must be extremely lucky, because I have never experienced these popping noises you guys are talking about.:)

Smokey
08-02-06, 06:34 AM
I must be extremely lucky, because I have never experienced these popping noises you guys are talking about.:)

neither have I !!

LBJM
08-03-06, 08:08 PM
sorry I didn't have the problem until today as of 2 minutes ago it comes AND GOES for me. actually I used to have to make it go away by shutdowning the system and cutting the power at the powersupply for 2 minutes. then turning the system back on and it would work. it's gone now after doing the fix. you need to download RM Clock Utility 2.1 http://cpu.rightmark.org/download.shtml and do just like I posted above.

1) Disable BIOS Cool'n'Quiet.
2) Download CPU Rightmark and install it.

On Rightmark -> Advanced CPU Settings, select Good Phase Error 8 us (mine was at 100 us). It solved the problem instantly.

(before this, the only was I could avoid the popping / cracking was to select Audio Creation Mode in the Audio Console and enable Bit-Matched Playback - now every mode works perfectly).

the reason most don't have the popping problem is one of two reasons
1) They've got a new x-fi
and or
2) they have aux #2 muted it's been know to "fix" the problem I have my GC hooked into AUX #2 so thats not an option for me.

last I'd like to thank de Haan Brøgger over at that asus forum for posting this fix http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20060728001337969&board_id=1&model=A8N32-SLI+Deluxe&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
I had just linked to the thread he linked to but I didn't find the information.

Digital_Trans
08-07-06, 12:56 AM
I just bought a X-Fi. Then returned it and got another one.

I am running the latest driver updates on my entire rig, latest patches for UT2004 (3369), and latest driver updates for the sound card.

I am running in Game Mode. In UT2004, the sound is very staticy, and the sound pops a lot. ESPECIALLY when using the assault rifle and the pulse gun, you can actually hear the sound popping, almost like the sound card is struggling to output the sound.

I've already been through the run of the mill, playing with UT2004 ini files, but the issue is NOT with UT. All I have to do is downgrade my sound card back to my Audigy 2 ZS, and the sound is PERFECT, bar none.

I would think the sound with the X-Fi would get better, but it got worse?

I've already:

1. Played with BIOS PCI latency settings.
2. Played with the volume adjustment to make sure the sound is not clipping due to too high levels.
3. Played with the amount of channels output in the UT2004 ini file.
4. Uninstalled and re-installed UT2004 with or without the X-Fi patch.
5. Uninstalled and re-installed the sound card, using Driver Cleaner Pro (believe me, I've done it enough to know how to un-install/re-install properly :D ).
6. Re-installed and verified OpenAL latest version installed.

Once again, at the end, I just uninstalled the X-Fi, reinstall my Audigy 2 ZS, install the latest drivers for it, and voila. It sounds perfect.

What gives?

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

I downloaded it and I also installed the Registy files that came with it. doesn't appear that I can adjust anything in the Advance CPU settings. Please review picture of Desktop screenshot. Maybe it doesn't like WIndows xp x64.

XServer
08-09-06, 05:31 PM
change pci IRQ to 3 where the sound card is and cpu priority to 0 will fix poping and reboot blue screen 0x0000007e error work on most motherboard some like asus they have a bios update that will fix the problem soon.