PDA

View Full Version : why can't we OC our RAM Higher when using Coolbits?

OrangeBlast
07-24-06, 05:00 PM
Okay, what I mean is this:

I have an EVGA 7950GX2 and I am able to overclock to 580/1600...

my question is...how come we can't go past 1600 in the CP? Why are we stuck at the 800 mark? I'm almost positive I can go further...but why would Nvidia Limit us oc'rs?

Is there a better program out there that would allow for an extended memory overclock?

I've used powerstrip but it does the same thing as the CP...what gives?

Also, just how dependable/truthful is that whole "TEST" thing in the Nvidia CP?

My 7950 will idle around 53 and never go above 72...if that....I'm sure I could push the Core even higher but...the test button says NO...if I push the core from 580 to 581...the test will move the slider back to 580.

how accurate is that test thing?

leafo
07-24-06, 05:27 PM
The test is pretty sensitive for detecting artifacts and temperature, meaning if you run the test when your card is hot and AA and AF are on then it wont let you go as high.

But, I am a fan of ATITool for doing overclocking on my card, it has an artifact tester built in and lets you control al clock speeds with no limits on sliders.

http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/

Make sure you get version 0.25 Beta 14, the older version don't support nvidia cards. http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/259

OrangeBlast
07-24-06, 05:30 PM
Ah yes ATI tool...I will try that!

thanks for the input!

badboy64
07-24-06, 07:41 PM
Ruvatuner is much better for nvidia cards than ati tool is.

squall_leonhart
07-25-06, 06:44 PM
no its not.

Ati Tool has a 3d view window which you can use to measure how hot your card gets and adjust the clocks accordingly.

badboy64
07-25-06, 08:54 PM
no its not.

Ati Tool has a 3d view window which you can use to measure how hot your card gets and adjust the clocks accordingly.
Rivatuner measure temperatures too even when playing games with a little display in what ever corner you want to use. Is he gonna play with a little 3d window or play games with the card? :rolleyes: Most cards will do 600/800 easily. No need to be looking for artifacts in a little 3d window when he should be playing games with his 7950GX2. :rolleyes:

squall_leonhart
07-25-06, 11:33 PM
stop being a noob.

it doesn't matter how big the damn window is.

the ATI tool window stresses out vidoe hardware more then most games do.

and it doesn't matter about whether its a litle window or not.

that little window still makes the GPU switch to 3dmode and operate at max capability.

its alot easier to get a realtime rep with that little window then rivatuner. especially when rivatuner is the most difficult program to learn how to use for a nooby to overclocking.

RejZoR
07-26-06, 04:39 AM
If you want real GPU stress, the use RTHDRIBL.
This is a HDR renderer which will stress your GPU to the max. If it can pass this it will pass anything. Just make sure you leave it for long enough 10-20 minutes or even 30min (we all know you can play games for this long without any break, UT2004 assaults can last this long or 3D strategy games etc).
Coolbits overclocking won't allow as high overclocks as ATiTool but it's fail safe so anyone can overclock without worries.

squall_leonhart
07-26-06, 05:06 AM
yup, exactly. coolbits = overclocking for pussies. Rotflmao

me, i flashed my 5900XT to ultra clocks :D i can pull a score of 5200 which is pretty decent for my system.... if i got a better cpu i should be able to get 5600....

badboy64
07-26-06, 07:04 PM
stop being a noob.

it doesn't matter how big the damn window is.

the ATI tool window stresses out vidoe hardware more then most games do.

and it doesn't matter about whether its a litle window or not.

that little window still makes the GPU switch to 3dmode and operate at max capability.

its alot easier to get a realtime rep with that little window then rivatuner. especially when rivatuner is the most difficult program to learn how to use for a nooby to overclocking.
You go right ahead and play with your little box with ATItool then. :rolleyes: Rivatuner is just as easy as any other problem when you know what you are doing and how to use it.

badboy64
07-26-06, 07:06 PM
yup, exactly. coolbits = overclocking for pussies. Rotflmao

me, i flashed my 5900XT to ultra clocks :D i can pull a score of 5200 which is pretty decent for my system.... if i got a better cpu i should be able to get 5600....
Well alot of people seem to use use coolbits so you calling alot of people pussies then.

badboy64
07-26-06, 07:10 PM
If you want real GPU stress, the use RTHDRIBL.
This is a HDR renderer which will stress your GPU to the max. If it can pass this it will pass anything. Just make sure you leave it for long enough 10-20 minutes or even 30min (we all know you can play games for this long without any break, UT2004 assaults can last this long or 3D strategy games etc).
Coolbits overclocking won't allow as high overclocks as ATiTool but it's fail safe so anyone can overclock without worries.
Try playing UT2004 with AA 8XS and play the IceTomb against the bots. Your card will heat up alot more than what that program you said.

rewt
07-27-06, 11:10 AM
Well alot of people seem to use use coolbits so you calling alot of people pussies then.

Yeah thats just the n00b in him talking. Besides, RT, coolbits, etc. all use the same registry entries anyways.

squall_leonhart
07-27-06, 07:43 PM
no they don't you Ftard. man rewt your ****ed in the head.

RT needs to be set to autostart for it to apply overclocking settings.

so does atitool.

so does winfox2.0.

rewt is the biggest ****tard on the entire forum.

Richteralan
07-27-06, 10:00 PM
Try playing UT2004 with AA 8XS and play the IceTomb against the bots. Your card will heat up alot more than what that program you said.

:lol2:

badboy64
07-27-06, 10:52 PM
:lol2:
See I can play UT2004 with 8XS on my 7950GX2 in the IceTomb and not have the card struggle at all.(nana2) (nana2) (nana2)

squall_leonhart
07-27-06, 11:25 PM
:lol2: im laughing at this **** too mate,

any 3d app can stress the gpu and max it out.

badboy64
07-28-06, 09:30 PM
im laughing at this **** too mate,

any 3d app can stress the gpu and max it out.
Isn't That what gpu's are used for? Playing games. Not running little boxes on your desktop. Try playing a game with max setting on your card if you can. :rofl:

squall_leonhart
07-29-06, 01:51 AM
Isn't That what gpu's are used for? Playing games. Not running little boxes on your desktop. Try playing a game with max setting on your card if you can. :rofl:

doesn't need to be a game, as i said,

games aren't just code to stress the gpu,

the gpu fluctuates while gaming, but the little window in ati tool is made to stress the gpu.

RejZoR
07-29-06, 04:55 AM
Exactly, plus these kind of stress testers have loads of shader intensive instructions (fur for example or HDR calculations). Games can be pretty much filed with just textures, models and minimal shaders where GPU won't be loaded much at all.

squall_leonhart
07-29-06, 05:11 AM
the cube in the ati tool window is covered in Fur and it forces the gpu to recalculate the positioning of the fur as it spins around causing the gpu work load to max out pretty easily.

my chip has easily reached 89c even though i have a sweet air cooling setup in my case.