PDA

View Full Version : What is the best 5.1 PC speaker system on the market??

ENU291
07-25-06, 08:40 AM
OK folks chime in with your opinion on what is the best 5.1 PC speaker system out today. ;)

BrianG
07-25-06, 08:57 AM
Depends on the sound card you intend to use.

For me, since I have DDL and DTS Connect, I can go with a system that has digital inputs only. I currently have the Midiland S4200 system with Dolby Digital inputs and in conjunction with Soundstorm or any of the DDL capable cards, you have a very elegant and excellent sounding solution. If I were to replace the speakers, I would get a home-theater-in-a-box and use my monitor with a cable converter (though I would probably have to get a component to VGA converter).

Absolution
07-25-06, 09:28 AM
If your not looking to spend an exorbant amount of money, check out the logitech 5500's.

ENU291
07-25-06, 09:47 AM
If your not looking to spend an exorbant amount of money, check out the logitech 5500's.
Yea... my max limit on a PC surround sound setup is $1000. BrianG's config must be well over that. I can get the Logi 5500's for about $350. How long is the speaker cabling for the rears?

BrianG
07-25-06, 10:16 AM
Yea... my max limit on a PC surround sound setup is $1000. BrianG's config must be well over that. I can get the Logi 5500's for about $350. How long is the speaker cabling for the rears?
I could do a lot of damage for $1000. You could get an X-Fi Music ($100), smaller Yamaha tuner ($300) and Klipsch surrounds ($500) with a small sub ($100).

Orrrr, you could try this set up available at Circuit City...
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Harman-Kardon-Home-Theater-System-CP-15-/sem/rpsm/oid/110987/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

It has tons of inputs including six channel input for use with analogout sound cards, features Component video switching for a Dvd player and HD cable box to the component inputs on the 2405, etc. Dude, $1000 for PC audio gets nutty.

My set up was $400 for the speakers and $140 for the card (if bought retail - it was a review unit).

ENU291
07-25-06, 10:50 AM
I should have been more detailed on what I was planning. I installed a 42" monitor in my computer room which is not very big (8' X 10'). Right now I only have a 2.1 Klipsch speaker setup but was thinking about going with a suround sound setup. The Harmon Kardon link you posted looks sweet but it seems like over kill for what I need. The logi Z-5500's seem O.K. but I am willing to spend more for better quality.

ynnek
07-25-06, 10:53 AM
yea, personally, I'd go for HT in a box... although lately, it seems there's even more of a shift to use those tiny speakers, which I dislike. Else spend alot more money on getting real speakers, receivers, amps, etc.

I like the Onkyo's.. like the HT-S790.. I have an older 6.1 ver of that one with my HTPC. I simply do optical digital out into the reciever, so all my music and video audio goes straight to the reciever for decoding..

It also has multichannel analog in, so if you game alot and use the X-Fi, you can easily hook up your X-fi to it via analog.

Or I guess if you get a DDL card, then you should be able to still pipe it over to the reciever digitally.

nV`andrew
07-25-06, 11:26 AM
the Z-5500's are only $260 on newegg. but i recommend getting an XtremeMusic or better if you are doing surround

CaptNKILL
07-25-06, 11:49 AM
For PC speakers, the Logitech Z-5500 are great, but if you're looking to drop $1000, you'll be able to do better than that.

I highly HIGHLY recommend getting an Auzentech X-Plosion sound card though. Thats the only way you're going to get real surround sound from a computer + digital reciever setup.

Smokey
07-25-06, 12:07 PM
Im happy with my X-Fi elite pro and Gigaworks S750 (7.1) setup.

ynnek
07-25-06, 12:34 PM
For PC speakers, the Logitech Z-5500 are great, but if you're looking to drop $1000, you'll be able to do better than that.

I highly HIGHLY recommend getting an Auzentech X-Plosion sound card though. Thats the only way you're going to get real surround sound from a computer + digital reciever setup.

Well... We go back to the argument of how well it supports the latest ver of EAX and OpenAL, which sound awesome if the game supports it under the X-Fi. Hence why I kinda grudgingly still say get an X-Fi if you are gaming. (i'm happy with X-Fi though!) But then you are more or less stuck with analog (unless you use speakers specifically designed for X-fi digital)

Unless you get that converter box Creative makes..

CaptNKILL
07-25-06, 01:27 PM
Well... We go back to the argument of how well it supports the latest ver of EAX and OpenAL, which sound awesome if the game supports it under the X-Fi. Hence why I kinda grudgingly still say get an X-Fi if you are gaming. (i'm happy with X-Fi though!) But then you are more or less stuck with analog (unless you use speakers specifically designed for X-fi digital)

Unless you get that converter box Creative makes..
You can "rig" analog surround to a reciever pretty easily if it has 5.1 analog inputs (usually for a DVD player).

If you can find a reciever that fits what youre looking for and has analog inputs, just hook some RCA stereo to minijack adapters to it and itl be ready for your X-Fi.

I dont know how the sound quality is or if this limits any functionality, but I've read multiple stories about this working fine.

ENU291
07-25-06, 01:30 PM
Im happy with my X-Fi elite pro and Gigaworks S750 (7.1) setup.
Does Creative Labs make the Gigaworks? Do they have a 5.1 version of the S750's? I'd rather not buy a receiver but it seems like all of you recommend it. What's the deal with the M-Audio speakers that Maximum PC magazine seems to cream over?

LTech221
07-25-06, 01:37 PM
They have the S700 version which is the 5.1 version of the S700's. Same hardware just 2 missing sattelites that you can order if you want to go full 7.1
Dunno if its still available though, since i see the Progamer Version being advertised.

CaptNKILL
07-25-06, 01:40 PM
Does Creative Labs make the Gigaworks? Do they have a 5.1 version of the S750's? I'd rather not buy a receiver but it seems like all of you recommend it. What's the deal with the M-Audio speakers that Maximum PC magazine seems to cream over?
I'm not sure about M-Audio myself, but the main reason people are recommending a reciever is because PC 5.1 speaker systems tend to top out around $300-$350. For $1000 you could probably get a hell of a reciever\speaker combo.

I'd say if you really just want PC speakers, get the Logitech Z5500. I'm not sure how the sound quality compares to the Gigaworks S700 (the 5.1 set) or other top of the line PC systems, but you simply cant beat the features. You can run a ton of devices off of it without having to unplug anything, it has all the Dolby Digital features you'll need, Coax and SPIDF inputs... its really an amazing deal. It has most of the features of a full sized reciever, but its no bigger than one of the speakers.

If you're sure that you wont need any of those features though, you'll probably want to keep digging around to find out which system has the best sound quality.

Lazaredz
07-25-06, 02:52 PM
Well, the thing is, you say you have $1000 you seem to WANT to blow on this. You are NOT going to get a PC speaker setup worth $1000 so the solution is to get a seperate reciever and speakers. If you are going to do THAT don't get a HTIB. Take the time to find some PROPER speakers as BrianG says.

My suggestion is:
Do what BrianG says ..... also might want to check AVSforums for any current deals.

LBJM
07-25-06, 08:04 PM
if you like the klipsch 2.1 and can't afford the suggestion that Lazaredz has made the 5.1 ultras are very nice. I brought the 2.1s then the 5.1 ultras for my dad while the whole time I had the klipsch 4.1s. my 4.1s died and I brought the gigaworks S750 that came with a $100 rebate. I only brought the gigaworks over the 5.1 ultras because I wanted a system that had more watts than my dads lol. he made one too many comments about the power of his system being greater. the klipsch 5.1 ultras are so are the gigaworks S750s are both good systems. it just depend on how much you want to spend. I need to get 6 stands for my speakers before I can compare the surround quality though.

ENU291
07-25-06, 08:05 PM
Well, the thing is, you say you have $1000 you seem to WANT to blow on this. You are NOT going to get a PC speaker setup worth $1000 so the solution is to get a seperate reciever and speakers. If you are going to do THAT don't get a HTIB. Take the time to find some PROPER speakers as BrianG says.

My suggestion is:
Do what BrianG says ..... also might want to check AVSforums for any current deals.
It's not that I want to spend $1000 on surround sound PC speakers... the $1000 is my MAX budget. If I can get some kick ass speakers for lets say $500 then I'll do that. I was just wondering what's out there nowadays.

crainger
07-25-06, 08:17 PM
I have the Logitechs 5500's in my HT setup (I'm renting a 2brm Villa so a proper HT setup is just to big and I do have neighbours :) ) and Logitech z680s on my PC. They are extremely good for their cost and size. I don't think you will be disappionted if you gave either a whirl.

monly
07-26-06, 10:46 AM
Im also looking for some house shaking speakers, my creative 250ds are pretty loud but not for when im blazing out some drum and bass.
Just had a payrise so anything up to 400 to spend on the speakers, or if they dont make pc speakers that good, can anyone recoment a good stack system setup i can hook up to my pc. Obviously i will have to increase my budget for this but a few suggestions would be good.:)

Absolution
07-26-06, 10:57 AM
I haven't stretched them all the way out... but extremely long, probably more then 10 ft. maybe 15ish

nekrosoft13
07-26-06, 02:11 PM

for $1000, get a nice Onkyo receiver with some klipsh (sp?), onkyo etc.. speakers and hook it up digitally

spoop
07-26-06, 04:58 PM
the M-Audio Studiophile LX-4 is what you are loooking for.

ynnek
07-26-06, 05:56 PM
So I got a question.. If you weren't going to buy a HTIB, what would you spend your money on a NEW(not used) piece by piece system with a budget limit of $400-500, that has at least 5.1 speakers with DD and DTS?