PDA

View Full Version : My computer died.

tacos4me
07-26-06, 10:57 PM
Well, I finally got what I was asking for. I think she's dead.

I was messing around with my overclock a few minutes ago. Changing my multiplier/divider/memory timings.. all that jazz. I was at 303MHz FSB, 8.5x divider. Saved my settings, rebooted.

During POST, I noticed that my memory was being detected very slowly, and the whole process was slugish. The POST screen never went away, but all of my devices were detected just fine. Alright, so I hold the power switch, try it again, and the same thing happens.

By now I'm getting pissed off. I unplugged everything, opened my case, and reset the CMOS. Plugged everything BACK in, and booted up to the same thing, only now I can't see my POST process because of the full-screen Asus logo.

Maybe it's the RAM? I unplug everything, slap in my old sticks, boot to the same thing. Ok, it's NOT the RAM. Then I unplugged every internal component that wasn't neccessary, leave only one stick of RAM, and boot to the same thing!

It's obviously not the processor, so I guess I killed my board. 303MHz was too wicked extreme for her, I guess.

DataMatrix
07-26-06, 10:59 PM
Try taking out the battery for 10 seconds...

tacos4me
07-26-06, 11:03 PM
Yeah, did that.

tacos4me
07-26-06, 11:17 PM
Heh, after further investigation, it appears that I forgot to disconnect my iPod before leaving Windows. I feel silly. :D

crainger
07-26-06, 11:29 PM
LOL we all do stupid things like that. Recently at work i though a PC died. Turns out I was plugging into the newly disable onboard video instead of the new X1300 :)

AthlonXP1800
07-27-06, 01:47 AM
Heh, after further investigation, it appears that I forgot to disconnect my iPod before leaving Windows. I feel silly. :D

Ipod prevented your PC to boot? :lol2:

nV`andrew
07-27-06, 02:27 AM

seems likely when u connect garbage to stuff that is too leet for it as in your pc being to leet for ur ipod! :D

jk :O

crainger
07-27-06, 02:36 AM
LOL

I can imagine for some reason the bios automatically had set to boot from the ipod, removing it set it back to the regular drive.

tacos4me
07-27-06, 01:52 PM

It was trying to boot from the iPod. I had been messing around with a linux distro on my memory stick.

ViN86
07-27-06, 03:12 PM
haha, yea it did that to my dad's pc. took me a little while to figure out wtf was goin on. i thought i broke it, haha.