PDA

View Full Version : Red Orchestra Update July 27

Pages : [1] 2

johnkeel105
07-26-06, 11:29 PM
There will be an update for Red Orchestra on July 27th. The details are below. This comes prior to the free trial lasting from Aug 2nd through Aug 7th. Links to Red Orchestra homepage and an interview are below.

Free Booster Pack

Tripwire is happy to announce our next free update for Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45, due out Thursday, July 27th, to be downloaded automatically off Steam. This is the next in our planned series of free content updates for the game. A quick summary of the new content:

-Brand new map - "Lyes Krovy". This is a brutal close-quarters fight for a German trench-and-bunker position in a forest in northern Russia, in the summer of 1944. The Soviet forces get to assault into and through a strongly-fortified position, while the Germans fight hard to hold them off. This one has rapidly become a firm favourite with the test team!

-Brand new weapon system - smoke grenades. We've teased about this one on the forums... on some maps, infantry commanders will now have smoke instead of explosive grenades, which can be used to create quick cover for assault routes, or to momentarily blind the defenders. We're finding that clever use of smoke can change tactical stalemates at a stroke!

-Tank reloading: we've listened to the requests and we have changed the tank reloading so that you now choose the next round to load, without having to unload first. Quicker, more realistic, more intuitive.
Victory conditions changed so round can no longer end in stalemate "No Decisive Victory" situations.

-Multiple fixes, including a fix from Creative Labs for choppy VOIP with EAX, no more players "bouncing" off prone players and no more "telefragging" when players change stance.

http://www.redorchestragame.com/

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/721/721049p1.html

fugu_fish
07-27-06, 06:00 AM
Wow, sounds great!

And this:

-Multiple fixes, including a fix from Creative Labs for choppy VOIP with EAX

Is awesome! This has been broken since I bought UT2004 (and it carried over to RO).

johnkeel105
07-28-06, 03:19 AM
The new map is top notch and the smoke is cool too. They have improved the game alot since its release. I have read that they plan to continue to add support and features.

stncttr908
07-28-06, 10:30 AM
I'll definitely check it out during the free trial.

zampe
07-28-06, 04:15 PM
For notice is greatly improved flexibile character animation,
just before two hours ago, on one of servers I'm accidentally discuss with guy from Dev team ([RODEV]Zerisus deserved for animation creation) about that...

CaptNKILL
08-03-06, 06:53 PM
Wow, I just played this game a bit since the free trial is active.

Its AWESOME!

The graphics arent real amazing (id give them a 7/10 i guess) but its surprisingly fun. The guns have a good feel to them and the sound effects are great. I was surprised that it used the Unreal Engine considering its on Steam, but it seems to work really well. The net code is perfect too. I had a ping of 33 on the server I played on and it was like playing offline. I didnt notice anything that resembled lag at all while playing.

The one problem I DID notice is rather irritating though. I got disconnected randomly twice while playing. The admins said they werent doing it, and I wasnt getting any messages in the console. I'd just be back at the main menu out of nowhere. I'm not sure what thats about, but if I can figure it out, I'll probably buy this. Its really an awesome game.

Anyone who hasnt tried it yet deffinitely should.

It probably isnt for everyone (in fact the reviews were pretty mediocre) but it reminds me of old DoD mixed with some Vietcong plus a big helping of some pretty unique gameplay (which I thought was impossible with WW2 shooters). The tank combat is pretty cool as well. I like the extra realism with the different gunner\driver positions and the hit detection and bullet ricochets.

Your mileage my vary though... it helped that I was tearing it up with the bolt and semi auto russian rifles (on the mainly on-foot maps). If I was getting pwnd I probably wouldnt have had such a positive experience :p. The guns are very very accurate, and they dont zoom when you pull up the iron-sights. So sit close to the monitor and run at the highest resolution you can.

Overall if I ignore the connection drops, i'd give this one a 9/10 :)

|MaguS|
08-03-06, 07:28 PM
Buy it! So worth it!

stncttr908
08-03-06, 07:54 PM
God dammit. F-you, broken 6800GT.

Bearclaw
08-03-06, 08:27 PM
I saw the advertising for it when I was on steam earlier. Worth d'ling and checking out?

Becoming
08-03-06, 08:33 PM
It's a bit convoluted for my tastes as far as shooters go. I'm not sure I feel like learning 4 dozen keys just to shoot a nazi, "realism" not withstanding. If it weren't for that and the very real possibility of wandering around a huge map only rarely spotting an enemy (which can happen), I'd probably like it more. Thanks to the trial I didn't have to throw away money for nothing though, so thumbs up!

derdeutscha
08-03-06, 08:50 PM
BORING! worst game design ever

hordaktheman
08-03-06, 09:03 PM
Eh? It's the best WWII shooter I've played since they nerfed Day of Defeat.

stjuart
08-03-06, 09:27 PM

Its people like you that dev's listen to and spawn unlimited seqauls with no inovation whats so ever, enjoy call of duty 99.

RAY16
08-03-06, 10:10 PM
It has improved a lot since it was a UT2K4 mod. I enjoyed it when it was free, and I enjoy it just as much, if not more now. I'll most likely buy it when I get some spare cash.

zampe
08-04-06, 04:25 AM
probably the most ambitious online-only shooter available today!!!
for people with brain and balls !!!

fugu_fish
08-04-06, 06:38 AM
It's a bit convoluted for my tastes as far as shooters go. I'm not sure I feel like learning 4 dozen keys just to shoot a nazi, "realism" not withstanding. If it weren't for that and the very real possibility of wandering around a huge map only rarely spotting an enemy (which can happen), I'd probably like it more. Thanks to the trial I didn't have to throw away money for nothing though, so thumbs up!

Well, try the "infantry maps only" servers. You are guaranteed action.

As far as the '4 dozen' keys go, let's see, there's aim, fire, work the bolt, reload,maybe crouch and prone.. really no more than any other shooter out there. Yes the learning curve is a bit steeper, but it pays off once you learn the maps and weapons.

If you play on an armor map, yes they can be large and if you can't catch a ride you may run for a bit. But the fun of tank hunting with Panzerfausts, AT rifles and satchel charges more than makes up for the running.

mullet
08-04-06, 10:20 AM

100% agreed!!!

Becoming
08-04-06, 10:55 AM
As far as the '4 dozen' keys go, let's see, there's aim, fire, work the bolt, reload,maybe crouch and prone.. really no more than any other shooter out there. Yes the learning curve is a bit steeper, but it pays off once you learn the maps and weapons.

There are WAY more action keys listed in the options(bring up sites, affix bayonet, action, tank stuff, map, etc..). Just the voice commands take up a good third of the bottom of the keyboard menu in the options. Put it this way: I have an N52 that I play games with and if there are too many more keys than that has (roughly 16) a game becomes a chore to play for me. I ran out of keys and then some when setting them to play=instant turn off. I can live with bullet drop and other stuff, but I shouldn't need so many things in a shooter.

The main audience this will appeal to is the type of person that will sit on a forum and debate in-game gun effectiveness with someone else, going so far as to bring up the real caliber of said weapon and so forth. In other words; mostly anal retentive "realism" nuts. I don't think it's a bad game, it's just not my cup of tea as they say (I don't care what caliber round a gun uses in real life, I just want it's in-game counterpart to kill someone when I shoot them in the face).

fugu_fish
08-04-06, 01:38 PM
There are WAY more action keys listed in the options(bring up sites, affix bayonet, action, tank stuff, map, etc..). Just the voice commands take up a good third of the bottom of the keyboard menu in the options. Put it this way: I have an N52 that I play games with and if there are too many more keys than that has (roughly 16) a game becomes a chore to play for me. I ran out of keys and then some when setting them to play=instant turn off. I can live with bullet drop and other stuff, but I shouldn't need so many things in a shooter.

The main audience this will appeal to is the type of person that will sit on a forum and debate in-game gun effectiveness with someone else, going so far as to bring up the real caliber of said weapon and so forth. In other words; mostly anal retentive "realism" nuts. I don't think it's a bad game, it's just not my cup of tea as they say (I don't care what caliber round a gun uses in real life, I just want it's in-game counterpart to kill someone when I shoot them in the face).

Well, the game is as deep as you want to make it. If you want to pop in and play an infantryman, there really aren't a lot of keys to learn. If you want to
learn the armor aspect, there's more to learn obviously. There are a lot of keys but I don't use most of them. I'm not a realism "nut" but this game rocks. YMMV.

Becoming
08-04-06, 03:54 PM
Oh I can see the appeal in the gameplay, but I have way too many other good games to want to put the time into this one unfortunately. My gut feeling is that there is fun to be had, but it's stuck behind a huge clump that is the learning curve and for a game without a huge player base it's not worth the effort to me.

Don't let my grumpy and picky disposition put anyone off though, as I'm rather particular about my games considering my time limitations. The only way I can make it through big games like Oblivion is because I can save anywhere, at anytime. For me to get into a strictly online game like this one, it has to be a bit more accessable and offer a way to get in and have fun without a giant amount of wandering around with nothing happening. If I can get interrupted at any time by the wife or kid, I want to be able to jump in and enjoy myself and this doesn't really lend itself well to that sort of gaming experience from what I've seen.

Riptide
08-05-06, 10:45 AM
I don't get it.

How do you get widescreen to work in this game? I can't get resolutions higher than 1280x1024.

RAY16
08-05-06, 11:14 AM
I don't get it.

How do you get widescreen to work in this game? I can't get resolutions higher than 1280x1024.

It uses the Unreal engine, I imagine you just need to edit the the INI.

Riptide
08-05-06, 11:27 AM
Anyone know which one I need to edit?

fugu_fish
08-05-06, 11:35 AM

I didn't have to edit anything. 1680X1050 was available in the setup menu.

RAY16
08-05-06, 01:04 PM

RedOrchestra.ini

Under "[WinDrv.WindowsClient]."