PDA

View Full Version : State of the GeForce FX lineup

p4man2.4
02-10-03, 09:35 PM
hi

today nvidia final came out with a press release. dated Feb,10
stated that all FX cards will come to the retail stores. which means that Geforce fx 5800 ultra will not be canned..

this is the statement:

"Over the last week - there have been a number of rumors on the web in reference to the status of NVIDIA GeForce FX GPUs.

As you know the company does not comment on rumors and/or speculation.
Like every new product from NVIDIA - the demand is far greater than the limited supply we will have.
NVIDIA's GeForce FX Ultra 5800 and the GeForce FX 5800 are still targeted to be in retail in late February."

jAkUp
02-10-03, 09:44 PM
where is the source for this??

p4man2.4
02-10-03, 09:51 PM
Hi,

sorry go to this website http://www.************/#30533

Cotita
02-10-03, 09:52 PM
got a link? Can't find it on nvidia's site.

edit: ok got it

jAkUp
02-10-03, 10:07 PM
jeez.... this is just getting confusing.... :confused:

digitalwanderer
02-10-03, 10:09 PM
When exactly IS "late" February? Is that like after the half-way point, or just a day or two before the end of it? Or maybe like even the last hours & minutes of February?

It's not a leap year, is it?

("must. stop. SOON!", mutters the Dig trying like hell to keep his jaws firmly shut!" )

Onde Pik
02-10-03, 10:39 PM
This is pretty wierd but I don't see nvidia exactly saying that they didnt "can" the ultra. They said it would reach retail just not in how big a quantity.

Hellbinder
02-11-03, 01:33 AM
They are lying their asses off. Plain and simple.

Its just another lame ass PR stunt from them to try and save face, and stall for time. Their partners are cancelling their preorders.. on everythign but the non ultra. Who the **** do these @$$holes think they are kidding?

It is really begining to PISS ME OFF.

Typedef Enum
02-11-03, 02:49 AM
You know...

For once, I'm kinda glad to see you pissed off. This whole launch has really pissed me off...as well as nVidia, as a whole.

I'm tellin' ya...If the R350 is 1/2 the animal I believe it wil be, it will most certainly find itself in my system when it launches. To a man, I don't honestly know a single person that is even JOKING around about buying an FX (be it Ultra, or otherwise).

ChrisW
02-11-03, 03:00 AM
I agree...it's nothing more than another PR stunt to try to make themselves look better to their investors. So many people have canceled their pre-orders so nVidia cut the amount of cards they were going to make. Then they state the demand is greater than the number of cards they have!? A stockholder that knows little about video cards thinks the GFFX is a big hit when it is really a flop. This is the same kind of half-truth/propaganda stunt they have pulled throughout the entire product launch.

panzaman
02-11-03, 05:46 AM
..yeah ok nVidia another patch from the PR department, I stil can't believe they launched this card in November 02 and still in Feb there's no sign of it.

Steppy
02-11-03, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by Typedef Enum
You know...

For once, I'm kinda glad to see you pissed off. This whole launch has really pissed me off...as well as nVidia, as a whole.

I'm tellin' ya...If the R350 is 1/2 the animal I believe it wil be, it will most certainly find itself in my system when it launches. To a man, I don't honestly know a single person that is even JOKING around about buying an FX (be it Ultra, or otherwise). I can think of 3...Chalnoth, Uttar, and Smokey. :D

scott123
02-11-03, 07:42 AM
Umm...must be PR because all the pre-order guys have shut down. I tend to believe the retail guys and not Nvidia. Nvidia is kinda in damage control right now so just about everything they say will have some sort of spin. The last quote I heard from someone at Nvidia during an interview was "we are delighted with the GFFX". LOL...now that was funny.

Scott

Smokey
02-11-03, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Steppy
I can think of 3...Chalnoth, Uttar, and Smokey. :D

:thumbsup:

Im am 100% sure this card will perform better than what has been seen thus far. I myself wouldnt get the first run of cards, much like AMDs T-Bred A and B cores ;) Intel had the same problem when going to .13 micron, second revision seems to be the best bet ;)

Steppy
02-11-03, 08:57 AM
Intel had a slight low yield problem that didn't delay a single product, and had .13 long before anyone else...I don't think their .13 migration and Nvidia's belong in the same sentence...or paragraph...or even the same page. Heck, those are two entirely different books.

Steppy
02-11-03, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Smokey
:thumbsup:

Im am 100% sure this card will perform better than what has been seen thus far. I myself wouldnt get the first run of cards, much like AMDs T-Bred A and B cores ;) Intel had the same problem when going to .13 micron, second revision seems to be the best bet ;) BTW, I don't think there is anybody who DOESN'T think the card will perform better than what's been shown...the problem is judging by previous generations that falls somewhere in the 3-6 month after shipping mark. That's fine when the card is the performance leader already, but not when the competition is weeks away from releasing a faster card than the one you are having problems beating.

volt
02-11-03, 12:46 PM

How are those things rumors in the first place? It's obvious that NV30 has become the worst launch in NVIDIA's history. What are they trying to achieve by releasing this PR is beyond my imagination. They still count on those folks who will go to BestBuy/you name it and get the FX for this ridiculous price?

If they didn't get this feedback from us, there would be more problems with NV30 in the first place. They don't acknowledge the fact that "we" are everything they've got.

Uttar
02-11-03, 04:12 PM
I can think of 3...Chalnoth, Uttar, and Smokey. :D

Buying a what? A GFFX? Sorry, I don't know what you're talking about :D

As I said in the Feedback forum, I'm not going to talk about the GFFX anymore. But that doesn't mean I won't buy one.
If I buy one, it probably won't be an Ultra. More likely a Regular.

The ridiculous number of hardware bugs in the NV30 is really beggining to make me worried. Since it'll have so little being sold, nVidia might not care too much about NV30-specific bugs after a few months.
Certainly ain't gonna pay $399 for something which might not even get good support for a full year...
$299, on the other hand, is already a lot more reasonable.

Uttar

Gwave65
02-12-03, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by p4man2.4

They sound like the government not negotiating with terrorists. I think that is a very poor company policy. There is no telling how many people have been turned away or cancelled their pre-orders(including me) do to these rumors and/or specualations.

jAkUp
02-12-03, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Uttar

Certainly ain't gonna pay $399 for something which might not even get good support for a full year...
$299, on the other hand, is already a lot more reasonable.

you can get a radeon 9700 pro for nearly that price! i still dont think $299 is worth it... possibly $250...

Smokey
02-12-03, 04:18 AM
That's fine when the card is the performance leader already, but not when the competition is weeks away from releasing a faster card than the one you are having problems beating.

You know something the rest of us dont? There are no details of the R350 yet that have been made public by ATI, so I doubt it will be out within weeks!