PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion Questions...

wheeler
07-27-06, 02:15 PM
If you guys could help me with this, I would really appreciate it.

First, my rig:

Pavilion a1230n
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3700+
2.2GHz
1.0 GB RAM (Dual Channel 512 MB Configuration)
eVGA GeForce 6600 (256 MB) Video Card

Pretty much a standard system with the exception of the video card.

I guess I have been practically all over the internet looking for guides on how to maximize this card/configuration.

One piece of advice I have followed that I think will do the most good is I bought a defragmentation program and ran it. The inital scan showed that Oblivion had over 3000 fragmented files. After running the defrag once, this number reduced to a couple of hundred, so I ran it again, and there are no more fragmented Oblivion files. Apparently, the game is so massive (~5 GB) that it is fragmented during installation.

I did this last night and this morning, so I have not attempted to play Oblivion since the defragmentation. I will play it tonight to see if it helped any.

Currently, I have Oblivion set to Medium Resolution with the following settings:

HDR Lightning is enabled
Grass - 0%
Distant trees - 0%
Distant Cities - 100%
800x600 resolution (played on a 19" LCD full-screened)

I also cut off water reflections, window reflections, water details, etc and the game was running fairly well, just crap graphics. I went into the .ini files for Oblivion and made some tweaks there as well.

I guess my question is can I play this game with better graphics by changing other things in my rig? I don't know if this question is too broad, or what so any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.

:wonder:

Nihility
08-04-06, 02:32 PM
You could probably increase textures to high w/o taking much of a hit, that should impove things.

The game taxes both CPU and GPU so no easy fix to the problem.

get a core2duo...