PDA

View Full Version : Can you believe this guys luck?

Admiral Horror
02-10-03, 10:37 PM
Following my advice a friend of mine bought an Asus A7N8X Deluxe and an XP2100+ last weekend. He knows enough about computers to be able to put a system together, but he doesn't know all the details and pretty much nothing about overclocking. The system was working well except for some sound problems which he couldn't resolve, so today I dropped by his house to give him a hand. While solving the sound problem (turned out that he hoocked up the front audio ports incorrectly) I noticed that his system reports his CPU as XP2700+. I asked him about that and he said "Yeah, strange. I know I bought a 2100+, even the markings on the CPU say that but the system detects it as 2700+ for some reason". I went into the BIOS to check it out and noticed that his bus speed was set to 166. When asked about it he said "yeah, I thought 166 would be better".

That's is ladies and gentelman, that's some fancy overclocking for you. No multiplyer adjustments, no voltage adjustments, just boost the bus from 133 to 166 and get and instant XP2700+ on a 333 FSB for the price of 2100+. And the damn system is stable as a rock too. Granted I am not a very experienced overclocker but I found this being very amazing.

gokickrocks
02-10-03, 11:03 PM
your friend should be able to go higher with the xp2100s (assuming its a tbred b)

jnd3
02-11-03, 08:15 AM
:eek: Dang, I just bought both of those! The CPU's a Thoroughbred-B, too. Guess I need to give that a try!

Edit: Well, I gave it a try. No go with stock Vcore with FSB 166 MHz. It got most of the way through starting W2k (I logged in and it fired off the virus scanner and SoundStorm control panel). I'll try boosting Vcore and go it again...

Cheers,
JND

jnd3
02-12-03, 08:14 PM
Huzzah! Upped the Vcore to 1.70 V, and she booted up at 2700+! Now to run the stress tests. I'd say that was $100 well spent on the ol' 2100+...

Cheers,
JND