PDA

View Full Version : Dual, Dual core Mobo?

shaker718
07-28-06, 01:43 PM
Are there any dual socket dual core motherboards available?
Since the prices on 939 dual cores have gone so low, it would be relatively cheap to get 2 procs and get a quad-core photoshop/vid editing rig going.
Anything out there to make this happen?

tieros
07-28-06, 04:36 PM
Yes, but you have to go with Socket 940 Opterons (ones in the 2xx series). The 265 and 270 Opterons have come down significantly in price, and should both be excellent overclockers.

The two downsides are that you have to go with registered RAM, which is more expensive than standard DDR-1, and the motherboards are a little expensive.

But there's at least one of the dual socket motherboards that supports SLI, so the potential for a serious workhorse is certainly there.

Bearclaw
07-28-06, 06:55 PM
If you are looking to build a system like that, talk to Venturi. He has that setup and he is herw on nvnews every once in a while. PM him if you have specific questions. What I can tell you is that if you plan on running full 16Gb of RAM on that motherboard then you will need Microsoft Windows Server Edition so you that it can read all 16Gb. Microsoft Windows Home/Professional/Media Center can only read up to 2.75 or 3Gb depending on your set-up. I plan on building a system similiar to that one you are planning on. Only thing holding me back is the price tag. It will cost you quite a bit depending on what you are exactly planning on doing with it.

ViN86
07-29-06, 08:01 AM
If you are looking to build a system like that, talk to Venturi. He has that setup and he is herw on nvnews every once in a while. PM him if you have specific questions. What I can tell you is that if you plan on running full 16Gb of RAM on that motherboard then you will need Microsoft Windows Server Edition so you that it can read all 16Gb. Microsoft Windows Home/Professional/Media Center can only read up to 2.75 or 3Gb depending on your set-up. I plan on building a system similiar to that one you are planning on. Only thing holding me back is the price tag. It will cost you quite a bit depending on what you are exactly planning on doing with it.

yes talk to Venturi. he has a Tyan board and i believe he runs two dual core opterons.

ew2x4
07-29-06, 09:24 AM
Asus, Supermicro, and Tyan all have relatively cheap mobos for dual 940 sockets. You need 2xx or 8xx series opterons (identical). You also need ECC registered ram. And usually you need an EATX size case. Other than that, it's pretty identical to any other system.

Bearclaw
07-29-06, 12:41 PM
if your thinking about doing it, then go ahead and do it. Haha. The machine will be kickasss.

ew2x4
07-29-06, 04:16 PM
I have a dual opteron Rig and it does indeed kick ass.