PDA

View Full Version : G965 motherboards - worth waiting for?

Zorlio
07-28-06, 06:01 PM
I'm going to build a new computer and I was wondering if the g965 chipset motherboards are worth the wait.
Is there any difference b/w the g965 and the already available p965 outside of that graphics thing (and what exactly will that graphics thing do in the g965)?
I'm also thinking of going with Gigabyte as the company - are they good?

Darkoz
07-28-06, 10:30 PM
The G965 simply means that the board has an on-board graphics chip which won't be that great if you're a gamer.
Usually, boards within on-board graphics are lower spec'd so if you want more features and use a dedicated video card for gaming you're better off getting the P965, although at a higher price.

Zorlio
07-28-06, 10:55 PM
hm, thanks for the info;

can someone explain to me a few things:

lets say i get the g965 and then i get a nice vid card and plug that in, what happens to the function of the on-board video?

I'm assuming eventually there will be DirectX10 video cards available - that should pretty much cover any DirectX10 requirements by future games/programs - am I correct?; and will these cards work with the P965 boards?

thanks

Darkoz
07-28-06, 11:03 PM
hm, thanks for the info;

can someone explain to me a few things:

lets say i get the g965 and then i get a nice vid card and plug that in, what happens to the function of the on-board video?

You can still use the video card but you'll have to disable the onboard graphics in the motherboard's BIOS.

I'm assuming eventually there will be DirectX10 video cards available - that should pretty much cover any DirectX10 requirements by future games/programs - am I correct?; and will these cards work with the P965 boards?

thanks

Yes, 965 boards are compatible with the upcoming DX10 cards.

Zorlio
07-28-06, 11:05 PM
thanks again; that pretty much settles the big debate in my mind; gonna go with the P965