PDA

View Full Version : EA doesn't care about System Shock

Pages : [1] 2

jAkUp
07-29-06, 10:04 AM
Saw this at VE3D, just got the magazine as well. Can't exactly say it is suprising.

In the Sept. edition of PC Gamer (US), there's an 8-page cover story about BioShock. Included in the write-up is an interview with Ken Levine, who shares how EA felt about the idea of making System Shock 3 (as BioShock is the "spiritual successor to SS2):
Was there an effort to get the System Shock license?

One of the reasons I wasn't interested [in System Shock 3] is EA just didn't give a sh*t about that game. We have a publisher who cares about this game, and they believe in this kind of game. 2K Games is the company that helped reinvigorate Elder Scrolls [with The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion] and Civilization. They believe in core games. I think if EA were to do it, it would've been just a regular first-person shooter with a boss monster at the end. They just weren't interested. I did a story design for System Shock 3, and they had it, and they didn't give a sh*t. It's just not their thing. They didn't see it as big brand and I didn't want that uphill battle.

Gaco
07-29-06, 10:09 AM
F*** you EA! No seriously they are even more assholes than I thought!! Remember that they foiled that System Shock MOD project for the Doom3 engine? "Stop immediately or we will sue your asses, the rights are ours yada yada yada" and they don't even care about the damn franchise. Thank god that there're publishers like UBI Soft, 2K games etc. out there. No really what is wrong with them?? Shame on you EA :thumbdwn:

stncttr908
07-29-06, 10:34 AM
There are many instances in which people hate the biggest company simply because they are just that. This is not one of those cases. EA is just a horrible company and the worst thing ever for gaming, end of story.

Stoneyguy
07-29-06, 10:49 AM
Actually EA was one of the best things ever for PC gaming. The problem is that the same innovation and talent that paved the way to their success is also what has made them fat and bloated. Now instead of the artist that created EA being in charge, it's a high dollar CEO and business oriented upper management. I do agree however, that EA in it's present form is hurting the industry. It's all about the Madden now.

Capt. Picard
07-29-06, 11:06 AM
Actually EA was one of the best things ever for PC gaming. The problem is that the same innovation and talent that paved the way to their success is also what has made them fat and bloated. Now instead of the artist that created EA being in charge, it's a high dollar CEO and business oriented upper management. I do agree however, that EA in it's present form is hurting the industry. It's all about the Madden now.

Well, I Don't know how to bring in cohesion with you just said with what I want to say, but my opinion is that EA is making the biggest mistake of their corporate life in not making a follow-up to the System Shock genre with the same amount of effort and investment as with System Shock 2.

I live in South Africa. The technology you people have in the US of A and in the rest of the world only reaches us a 2 or 3 months after. And even then spending the kind of money to buy 2 7900GTX in SLi is largely preposterous to us. Also I didn't or couldn't buy Oblivion because my rig (partly) and my studies (largely) cannot accomodate this game. Having said this, I would DEFINITELY buy a System Shock 3 game, regardless of my circumstances, if it did came out. So serious am I about this game. I think I'm right in saying that the majority of people on this board feel the same about this game. If you don't *slap* - wake up, go and play SS2 and then speak to us again.

I would fork out an insane amount of money to play a worthy sequel of that game.

|MaguS|
07-29-06, 11:10 AM
Eh, I see this as good news... now EA can't **** up the IP.

Gaco
07-29-06, 11:24 AM
There are many instances in which people hate the biggest company simply because they are just that. This is not one of those cases. EA is just a horrible company and the worst thing ever for gaming, end of story.

There's plenty of reason to dislike EA, and for me it has nothing to do with the size of their company but their behavor and total disregard for non-standard games / clones. So yeah :D

Eh, I see this as good news... now EA can't **** up the IP.

I can't exactly see how this is good news. Well it's always better that there're uninterested in the franchise rather than making some generic shooter out of it, but the guy gave EA a design story and they ignored it because it wasn't Sims: Living Xtra Large Expansion Pack or Battlefield 2: Special Super OPS Expansion Pack! They are not worthy to hold the rights for the franchise, and if they're so uninterested in it, they could at least let the MOD community do their thing..

BioHazZarD
07-29-06, 11:37 AM
thats very odd SS2 is one of the best games i ever played.

|MaguS|
07-29-06, 11:59 AM
I can't exactly see how this is good news. Well it's always better that there're uninterested in the franchise rather than making some generic shooter out of it, but the guy gave EA a design story and they ignored it because it wasn't Sims: Living Xtra Large Expansion Pack or Battlefield 2: Special Super OPS Expansion Pack! They are not worthy to hold the rights for the franchise, and if they're so uninterested in it, they could at least let the MOD community do their thing..

If a company doesn't defend its copyright they could lose it, that is why they must stop things that use copyrighted material. EA isn't a risk taker, we all know this already... I don't see why everyone is so suprised that they refused a questionable IP.

Oh and System Shock series is very questionable. Neither games sold well by any means, thats why System Shock 2 is considered an underrated title... no one bought it even though it was one of the best games to release at the time.

Capt. Picard
07-29-06, 12:22 PM
Oh and System Shock series is very questionable. Neither games sold well by any means, thats why System Shock 2 is considered an underrated title... no one bought it even though it was one of the best games to release at the time.

It might not have sold very well because the gaming community at that time were incredibly stupid (not us ;) ) ... or maybe just underdeveloped (cognitively). They wouldn't have spotted a winning formula if it were smashed in their faces. Lots of people recognize it know but unfortunately it can't be reflected in sales anymore ... for the benefit of large corporations with their large fatcat directors who claim to know much about business (I know, I've worked for such people) but know jack squat about games. :(

Gaco
07-29-06, 12:28 PM
If a company doesn't defend its copyright they could lose it, that is why they must stop things that use copyrighted material. EA isn't a risk taker, we all know this already... I don't see why everyone is so suprised that they refused a questionable IP.

I doubt that they'd automatically lose the legal right if they had let a bunch of guys make a Doom3 mod, but that's just me..
I'm not surprised, but now knowing that they actually had a game who offered them a layout, a story design, for a sequal and they totally disregard it? I wouldn't have thought they care THAT little for the franchise.. Stupid conservatives don't see the potential :thumbdwn:

Seriously I think even the ignorant NFS-CS-Diablo2-teenager would be able to enjoy it greatly if they would just market it properly.. EA need to let go of the licence, sell it cheaply to someone who cares. They are just holding it in hopes of it getting worth more and more? It's just like the bastards who buys real estate with the sole purpose of selling it later for a greater price - shameful indeed.. Except System Shock is a house everyone cares about, and if EA is gonna do anything with it someday, they're gonna demolish it :(

Gaco
07-29-06, 12:33 PM

So let's see. EA, like many other companies at the time, was great back in the days where it was founded and in the following years. Now they're hurting industry, so what's the total balance on EA's account? For me, they have, and is going to, ruin more than they contributed positively. You can argue that if.. say we went back and assassinated the founder (heh :p) it's somewhat likely that another firm just wouldve taken EA's position, but on the other hand look at UBI Soft. They big as well, but they are innovating a lot more IMO.

Fuku2
07-29-06, 12:38 PM
Well it is about what will sell. Just because some people loved System Shock 2 doesn't mean there will be enough to warrant a third installment. Their Sims series sells a ton but I can't understand why. I hate that crap.
It's all up to the masses.

Edge
07-29-06, 12:59 PM
Hopefully this will shut up all the "people only hate on EA because they're popular" whiners.

nekrosoft13
07-29-06, 01:22 PM
i used to like EA, but that was long long long time ago, for quite a while they release a game, forget about, even when it has bugs.

EA is nothing more then money hungry assholes.

Alaa
07-29-06, 02:34 PM
i used to like EA, but that was long long long time ago, for quite a while they release a game, forget about, even when it has bugs.

EA is nothing more then money hungry assholes.
QFT

Gaco
07-29-06, 02:37 PM
Well it is about what will sell. Just because some people loved System Shock 2 doesn't mean there will be enough to warrant a third installment. Their Sims series sells a ton but I can't understand why. I hate that crap.
It's all up to the masses.

Sure but how are you gonna know the masses wouldn't like a System Shock 3 if you don't try it? I bet most people would love it. EA don't make an investment if it's super innovative and 80% chance of mass success - it has to be 99-100%, which only the annual Sims Expansions and Sports games updates will do.. You can't just blame the free market- and capitalism mechanisms, it's a lot more about EA being "ultra conservative, not caring about game quality, don't support their existing games properly, ONLY wanna make money"-assholes! :(

Becoming
07-29-06, 04:09 PM
Exactly why I stopped playing BF2 and wouldn't touch 2142 if you paid me. There are some decent EA games, but their support is absolutely horrid (and don't even get me started about their mangled installers/patches).

CaptNKILL
07-29-06, 04:27 PM
Its a damn shame we wont be seeing another system shock because of these assholes.

I didnt like SS2 at all when I first played it (6 years ago), but I recently started playing it again with a mod that makes enemies respawn far less than normal and I have to say this game really is as great as people say. Its not really leaving the impression on me that Deus Ex left on me, but SS2 really was totaly ground breaking. For a game from 1998\1999, its just amazing how much you can do.

Im eagerly awaiting Bio Shock and I hope some day someone can pry the System Shock license from EA's cold dead hands and make a good sequel.

H3avyM3tal
07-29-06, 04:52 PM
I didn't play any SS before, so I don't know the game, but Im right there with the hating-EA for most of the forseeable(sp) future.

Gaco
07-29-06, 04:58 PM
Exactly why I stopped playing BF2 and wouldn't touch 2142 if you paid me. There are some decent EA games, but their support is absolutely horrid (and don't even get me started about their mangled installers/patches).

Nonono, don't get ME started on the absolutely terrible support for C&C: Generals :fu:

Edge
07-29-06, 08:34 PM
Nonono, don't get ME started on the absolutely terrible support for C&C: Generals :fu:
No, don't get ME started on their lack of support for Earth and Beyond. Or rather, the fact that they shut the game down completely...

jAkUp
07-29-06, 09:04 PM

BF2 and its expansions are another thing. What a waste, they have had like 3 of them, and they all are things that should be included in a patch.

Not to mention 2142, it looks like some mod that somebody made, not worth of a sequel. I am so uninterested in it it is unbelievable, and I was a big fan of the original BF2.

I am really concerned about Crysis though... I pray that EA does not force Crytek to rush the game, have a million expansions, etc. It really is a shame that Crytek had to team up with the worst publisher out there.

|MaguS|
07-29-06, 09:11 PM
Does Crytek own the copyright or were they stupid and did the same thing with Crysis that they did with FarCry and let the publisher own the rights? If they still own the rights then EA has no control over it and can't force Crytek to make expansions since its not their property.

Last I checked Crytek was not owned by EA, EA is just publishing the title.

jAkUp
07-29-06, 09:13 PM
Good question.. I assumed that EA owned it, but I'm not sure....