PDA

View Full Version : ETA on new Vista driver?

XxDeadlyxX
07-29-06, 09:22 PM
Does anyone have any information regarding a new vista driver? I would assume a new one would be released for RC1 next month. 88.61 is unusable due to its hardly-existant control panel and no options.

jAkUp
07-29-06, 09:27 PM
Hopefully soon... and hopefully quad SLI support! :D

I heard the latest beta build of Vista dramatically increases game level load times do to some sort of cacheing? Anyone try the latest build and gaming yet? (not Beta2)

K007
07-29-06, 10:25 PM

I heard the latest beta build of Vista dramatically increases game level load times do to some sort of cacheing? Anyone try the latest build and gaming yet? (not Beta2)

:O..that sounds too good to be true for a beta os ><

retsam
07-29-06, 10:27 PM
Does anyone have any information regarding a new vista driver? I would assume a new one would be released for RC1 next month. 88.61 is unusable due to its hardly-existant control panel and no options.
right about .....

now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

shungokusatsu
07-29-06, 10:29 PM

I haven't but in the latest PC World magazine they tried tons of games and the results were great. Every game they tested worked except FEAR, and it not only added better loading times, but also increased frames as well. Even in that Crysis interview, he says it will run much faster on Vista due to it's ability to run DX9 much faster. As for Quad SLI, they better hurry, I'm tired of issues with demos and games.

nekrosoft13
07-29-06, 11:13 PM
its still beta2, just a different build, and which build are you talking about?

XxDeadlyxX
07-29-06, 11:34 PM
Hmm..... I've tried every Vista build inculding the two latest ones 5456/5472...my first build was the infamous Longhorn 4015 :D .. basically had every build since then. In 5472 the default driver is 95.61.... yet it is a barebones WDDM driver with only like 2 files in the driver properties :S. So it has zero 3d acceleration. Therefore the only driver to use is 88.61... and that is no good for any kind of gaming to a quality level of XP... no AA/AF... no digital vibrance/color settings or anything. The few options in the control panel are whacko... trying to change AA gives an error about nvgames.dll... AF can only be changed to 2x... and basically no options that can be changed apply properly. Clearly the 88.61 CP is just a placeholder :( . There is also no way to use classic CP in 88.61.

XP drivers are also a no-go. Any XP driver past 83.xx give a BSOD - PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA with the culprit file being nv4_mini.sys whenever any D3D app is called. Also there is no glass using XP drivers. There was an attempt to hack the 91.31 drivers to use Glass... however all the drivers do is basically replace nv4_disp.dll and nv4_mini.sys with the Glass drivers nvd3dum.dll and nvlddmkm.sys respectively. This therefore breaks 91.31 control panel and all relavent options - even trying to change AA/AF or digital vibrance by RivaTuner does nothing at all. The driver therefore is broken by adding glass - so it seems it is impossible to run any XP-based CP with glass enabled also.

I have tried for numerous hours on this and have concluded now there is nothing that can be done to get decent gaming functionality that is close to what we have experienced with XP with the current situation in Vista Beta 2 builds. All we can do is wait for a new driver... however I think even at RC1 it may still be a far cry from XP's drivers. Damn it was so easy in the 4xxx days where it was so similar to XP - nearly all XP drivers worked :) .

xgman
07-31-06, 04:22 PM
and this vista driver situation extends far beyond just the Nvidia drivers. It's still a real mess right about now.

Riptide
07-31-06, 04:29 PM
Yeah no kidding. They seem to take a long time in between official releases.

DarkJedi664
08-02-06, 03:10 PM
gaming will not be accelerated until RC1. nVidia will have gaming drivers included with RC1. There is already a build on the RC1 tree, and we should be getting the final RC1 build around mid-August.

XP drivers for nVidia will NOT work due to the fact that Vista now has a different driver model for their graphic drivers, and soon to be EVERY driver. During the beta stage, XP drivers WILL work, but they will soon need to ALL be rewritten for Vista. Vista is a LOT more than just a pretty XP.

PTK1982
08-05-06, 02:09 PM
gaming will not be accelerated until RC1. nVidia will have gaming drivers included with RC1. There is already a build on the RC1 tree, and we should be getting the final RC1 build around mid-August.

XP drivers for nVidia will NOT work due to the fact that Vista now has a different driver model for their graphic drivers, and soon to be EVERY driver. During the beta stage, XP drivers WILL work, but they will soon need to ALL be rewritten for Vista. Vista is a LOT more than just a pretty XP.

Yeah it new born baby jesus with infinite appetite for resources. It takes all then ask for more. It also causes all peeps around the world to touch pen0s and drool that new brand spanking 3d desktop.

This is defination of Windows Vista (short version)

jolle
08-05-06, 03:40 PM
Most arent very eager with public drivers for Beta OSes..
I recall the driver frenzy when XP was launched, before there wasnt much, and I spose it took a little while for everyone to get onboard..
And there was some legacy hardware that didnt get any support, some could use 2K drivers, some didnt have any support at all..

Would be great with a fully functional, stable and fast driver tho..
Thinking of trying it out once Ive bought a new HD and will reinstall XP and all that..

SLippe
08-05-06, 07:25 PM
The 12th of never.

DarkJedi664
08-07-06, 11:05 AM
Gaming works fine in Vista now, but because of the generic driver, the highest res I could get to was 16x12. RC1 will be out in about 2 weeks or so. I'm 99% sure we will get a fully optimized driver then. As a beta tester for Vista I'm extremely happy with where the OS is going, and I honestly don't know why people are dissing it so much. Build 5472 runs great and I haven't encountered any issues at all.

Slammin
08-07-06, 11:40 AM
Yes, 5472 is quite nice. Even has the new control panel with 88.61 and it seems to work for me. There are some rough edges though and performance in games is not as good for me as XP is, but I also like where they are going with this OS, especially as far as security issues.

Absolution
08-07-06, 08:12 PM