PDA

View Full Version : Why do ENTHUSIAST Mobos Continue To Include Unnecessary Extras?

Pages : [1] 2

GamerGuyX
07-29-06, 10:26 PM
Maybe it's just me, but why do enthusiast motherboards continue to include things like onboard audio (also: multi colored S/PDIF inputs & outputs), serial ports, printer ports, etc? Now I can understand if we have things like that for mainstream boards because the target audience is for the people that are okay with the bare minimum. With enthuisists the majority already have dedicated sound cards (X-Fi series, Dolby Live based cards, etc) for example. When you include all these extras it basically just leaves the enthusiasts with a bunch of unusable, inactive connections on the back of our computer. Quite annoying really.

I really wish there was more mobos like the Fatal1ty AN8 SLI... :(

EDIT: And what's with all the multi-colored mobos coming out? You know the ones with yellow PCI slots, orange SATA connectors, purple power connectors, etc. What happened to all the professional looking boards? I swear some of these mobos look like they belong in a gay pride festival.

*glares at DFI*

I can't help but think that this is the kind of guy that designs all these mobos:

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/2797/fabulouszb9.jpg

Clay
07-29-06, 10:36 PM
All motherboards are built to the PC99 spec which includes the color coded ports.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_99

GamerGuyX
07-29-06, 10:42 PM
All motherboards are built to the PC99 spec which includes the color coded ports.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_99

*sigh*

You don't seem to understand what I'm referring to.

I'm talking about these type of monstrosities:

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/8701/ecskn1extremeis6.jpg

That multi-colored crap is no standard.

Much prefer the professional look of Intel's older mobos like this:

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/2639/170089fk4.jpg

Clay
07-29-06, 10:45 PM
*sigh* ??? Settle down.

I was answering part of your question. You wrote it, remember?(also: multi colored S/PDIF inputs & outputs), serial ports, printer ports, etc? As for the Rainbow Brite DIMMS, PCB, etc, etc. I don't know. It's apparently done to meet the majority of the market demand. I think it's silly.

GamerGuyX
07-29-06, 10:47 PM
*sigh* ??? Settle down.

I was answering part of your question. You wrote it, remember?As for the Rainbow Brite DIMMS, PCB, etc, etc. I don't know. It's apparently done to meet the majority of the market demand. I think it's silly.

Ah okay thought you were referring to every color on a mobo being standard.

Clay
07-29-06, 10:56 PM
Ah okay thought you were referring to every color on a mobo being standard.Heh, no...that would be one poorly followed standard. :D

jAkUp
07-29-06, 10:56 PM
Yes I wish boards would stick to 1 or 2 colors. And the thing that pisses me off the most is the legacy support.

I do not want serial, I do not want parallel, hell I do not even want PS2, throw 2 more USB ports on there, that is all I need.

This is my idea:
Remove floppy port
Remove parallel ports
Remove serial ports
Remove IDE ports and bundle IDE to SATA converter in box.
Allow PS2 ports by use of a PCI bracket that plugs directly into the board, so the user can use it if they wish.
Allow audio connector by the use of PCI braket.

Have 8 USB's directly on the back of the mobo :)

GamerGuyX
07-29-06, 10:59 PM
Yes I wish boards would stick to 1 or 2 colors. And the thing that pisses me off the most is the legacy support.

I do not want serial, I do not want parallel, hell I do not even want PS2, throw 2 more USB ports on there, that is all I need.

This is my idea:
Remove floppy port
Remove parallel ports
Remove serial ports
Allow PS2 ports by use of a PCI bracket that plugs directly into the board, so the user can use it if they wish.

Tell EVGA this. ;)

It will be their niche when it comes to going to market full force with enthuisist mobos.

It will make them the Denon/Onkyo/Marantz of the gaming motherboard world.

GlowStick
07-29-06, 11:05 PM
On the extras like Audio and extra ports. Sure, many arent used any more due to usb, but why not have them? Alot of server equipment still uses serial ports. On the sound card, I really enjoy my onboard audio (nforce) because the drivers dont suck and come in one nice package with the chipset drivers.

On the appearance, some companies are makeing flashy mobos to stand out because they have alot of competition. If you still want the intel look there are alot of companies that do that. I like MSi, ChainTech, Gigabyte and IWills look my self.

GamerGuyX
07-29-06, 11:08 PM
On the appearance, some companies are makeing flashy mobos to stand out because they have alot of competition. If you still want the intel look there are alot of companies that do that. I like MSi, ChainTech, Gigabyte and IWills look my self.

I know quite well what the latest mobo offerings from MSi, ChainTech, Gigabyte and IWill look like. Even those a lot of times are to flashy. Or include to many unnecessary extras in my eyes.

jAkUp
07-29-06, 11:14 PM
Yes Servers sometimes use this, but what kinda Server is going to be using an enthusiast motherboard? Servers should be using rock solid motherboards like Supermicro, or Intel reference boards, I have never seen someone run a server off a DFI eXpert.

MUYA
07-29-06, 11:28 PM
Yup..no extras like the old serial or paralel stuff but as Jakup said more USB ports would be better. I would like these extras though,

http://www.xyzcomputing.com/images/stories/reviewimages/asus_m2n32sli/m2n32sli_02.jpg

Those would really help with the installation!

Riptide
07-29-06, 11:32 PM
They can dump serial for all I care as long as my UPS monitoring will work OK through a converter (serial->usb).

As far as colors I think Intel and ASUS boards look the best. DFI and EVGA look like a hippy nightmare. Yikes.

Blacklash
07-30-06, 12:17 AM
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/8701/ecskn1extremeis6.jpg

Ooooo, that Mobo is sweet!
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/6945/richardsimmonshr3.jpg

K007
07-30-06, 04:47 AM

This is my idea:
Remove floppy port
Remove parallel ports
Remove serial ports

Cauldn't agree more..but the thing in the end you have to talk about is $$$..if they do make motherboards just for the hardcore people and aimed at that target only..we might see the prices actually go up..i think they are just trying to get to everyone..who cauld blame anyway..after all its $$ that counts.

With that said..maybe its time to say good bye to atleast the floppy drive..and PS2. Bundle in a PS2--> USB Connector or something..

mullet
07-30-06, 10:38 AM

This is my idea:
Remove floppy port
Remove parallel ports
Remove serial ports

Pefect Jakup, only thing you have to do now is tell EVGA to do these things. Its funny how corporate people never listen to the main group that buys there products. I mean who would build a kickass SLI rig and use a floppy,parallel ports,serial ports? I would like to see a really clean setup with out all the junk I never use.

mullet
07-30-06, 10:47 AM
Yanno I was just thinking, why doesn't like Asus just make a poll for there new SLI mobo on what ppl want and dont want on the mobo ( serial, parallel, colors, so on ) I am sure most everyone in here would take this poll if it was on the official ASUS website. Then after a month they would build the board we wanted hence everyone is happy.

jAkUp
07-30-06, 10:48 AM
Cauldn't agree more..but the thing in the end you have to talk about is $$$..if they do make motherboards just for the hardcore people and aimed at that target only..we might see the prices actually go up..i think they are just trying to get to everyone..who cauld blame anyway..after all its $$ that counts.

With that said..maybe its time to say good bye to atleast the floppy drive..and PS2. Bundle in a PS2--> USB Connector or something..

Actually yes that would be even better. Bundle a PS2-> USB converter

Mr_LoL
07-30-06, 11:42 AM
I think ps2 ports for keyboard and mouse should stay. My main gripe with mainboards thee days is shocking layout. Abit are actually the worse for this. Their fatality am2 board only has 1 pci slot which is unusable if you use a dual 7900gtx. So no sound card or physics card if you go that route.

Marvel_us
07-30-06, 12:04 PM
I hate the fruity colors as well. One of the reasons why I like Asus, most of the board is pretty much blue/black.

I agree that more USB connections would be nice. I mean who doesn't use USB connection for their printer, mouse or keyboard? Those old connections on the board need to go, imo.

Would be nice for all companies to bundle rounded IDE cables as well.:) Floppy drive is meh, I still use mine due to school but I could buy an external if I needed one that bad. Most professors are starting to switch to USB flash sticks anyway.

einstein_314
07-30-06, 03:00 PM
I love my DFI SLI-DR. But it's only got Orange and yellow connectors with the black PCB. I think it looks great. Anymore colors though, and it looks...weird. Especially purple. Who puts purple on a mobo?!?

Bman212121
07-30-06, 03:45 PM
Well, I think that mobo that is in here is a little over the top, but I do like a lot of the board that actually have some different colors on them rather than white and green.

As for the extra connectors, they will go away in time. Serial is used to console-ing into cisco equipment, that's the only thing I've ever used it for besides really old mice. (About 10 years ago.) The parallel I still have printers, and having it onboard is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a jet direct to be able to use it. PS/2 connectors are still necessary for me cause I use KVM's, but I have a USB one now that I can use with my new stuff. The beloved floppy, I need that for RAID drivers, that's the only thing, so it's still needed until Vista.

I did like that way ASUS did some of their mobos though, they put those features on pci-slot add-ins so you only need to put in the ones you want, and the only thing on the board is the headers.

Give it time, and they will go away, but legacy is still needed sometimes. It's much cheaper to just have it there than spend $30 for a USB-floppy, and another $70 for a USB docking station just so that you have the connectors if you need them.

a12ctic
07-30-06, 04:49 PM
why would you want more usb slots, my board has 5 built in, then i have 2 extra on the front of my case and 4 more on this thing that came /w my mobo, 11 is more than enough imho, i only use about 4 of them

snilloconator
07-30-06, 05:12 PM
Maybe it's just me, but why do enthusiast motherboards continue to include things like onboard audio (also: multi colored S/PDIF inputs & outputs), serial ports, printer ports, etc? Now I can understand if we have things like that for mainstream boards because the target audience is for the people that are okay with the bare minimum. With enthuisists the majority already have dedicated sound cards (X-Fi series, Dolby Live based cards, etc) for example. When you include all these extras it basically just leaves the enthusiasts with a bunch of unusable, inactive connections on the back of our computer. Quite annoying really.

I really wish there was more mobos like the Fatal1ty AN8 SLI... :(

EDIT: And what's with all the multi-colored mobos coming out? You know the ones with yellow PCI slots, orange SATA connectors, purple power connectors, etc. What happened to all the professional looking boards? I swear some of these mobos look like they belong in a gay pride festival.

*glares at DFI*

I can't help but think that this is the kind of guy that designs all these mobos:

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/2797/fabulouszb9.jpg

LMAO!!! I agree these boards can do away with all the B/S! I would like to see usb ports as well. The first thing I do with my current boards is disable all the B/S in the bios.

Riptide
07-30-06, 05:32 PM
Who puts purple on a mobo?!?Soltek.

And it looks good with a black PCB.
why would you want more usb slots, my board has 5 built in, then i have 2 extra on the front of my case and 4 more on this thing that came /w my mobo, 11 is more than enough imho, i only use about 4 of them
A lot of boards only have 4 built in and the rest require using headers. If we cleared out the parallel port alone that would free up enough space to setup another 4 USB ports built directly into the backplane of the board itself. Which is more convenient than using the headers.