PDA

View Full Version : BF2 problem

Pages : [1] 2

Rayman1968
07-30-06, 01:11 PM
System specs are in sig.

I get decent fps in the game, but when I look around with my mouse the graphics will stutter and skip. It's not the mouse, I've tried different ones. It's always done this, even in the demo. It also did this with my previous mobo/vid card which was an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum with a 6800GT. I've tried lowering the in-game settings to their lowest and the problem is still there. The game is playable but this problem is really annoying.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

K-1
07-30-06, 04:53 PM
System specs are in sig.

I get decent fps in the game, but when I look around with my mouse the graphics will stutter and skip. It's not the mouse, I've tried different ones. It's always done this, even in the demo. It also did this with my previous mobo/vid card which was an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum with a 6800GT. I've tried lowering the in-game settings to their lowest and the problem is still there. The game is playable but this problem is really annoying.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

have you tried going to C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\My Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\cache and deleting all the folders in there?

Rayman1968
07-30-06, 06:59 PM
Yes.

wnd
07-31-06, 01:09 PM
I get decent fps in the game, but when I look around with my mouse the graphics will stutter and skip.

To me that sounds like something's eating your RAM and the textures must be fetch over and over again. I suppose the standard procedure with Windos would be to check for viruses and spyware if nothing obvious is taking all the memory. If no such filth is installed, defragging your harddrive will probably help. And switch to NTFS if you haven't done so already. Switching to NTFS helped me quite a bit.

Rayman1968
07-31-06, 07:54 PM
I've done everything you've mentioned. As for the RAM, I see nothing hogging it, and the problem only exists in BF2.

Could my Creative sound card be a culprit?

wnd
08-01-06, 05:24 AM
I've done everything you've mentioned. As for the RAM, I see nothing hogging it, and the problem only exists in BF2.

What other games do you play? Newer games with more and/or bigger textures? Perhaps Windos decided to drop harddrive DMA and that's why the textures are trouble. Of course I'm just guessing, but it sure sounds like a problem with texture memory to me.

Could my Creative sound card be a culprit?

If the graphics stutters when you move your mouse but the screen updates fluently when holding still, I hardly think it's about your soundcard. Then again, I don't really know Windows and related problems too well.

The Boatman
08-01-06, 08:16 AM
Update soundcard drivers with the newest ones from Creative?

walkndude
08-01-06, 09:19 AM
check your bios setting for agp aperture is set to 256mb, this is a well known issue with bf2 and will give you problems even 2gb of ram and a good viddy card.

Becoming
08-01-06, 12:30 PM
check your bios setting for agp aperture is set to 256mb, this is a well known issue with bf2 and will give you problems even 2gb of ram and a good viddy card.

He's not using an agp card.

Rayman could it be some weird latency you're seeing? That was one of the big reasons I quit playing BF2 myself. After a certain patch pretty much every server I went to was laggy as all hell for me. Finally one of the patches this year fixed it...until they had to release a hotfix for that patch and then it was borked again. Basically I got fed up with Dice's horrid patches breaking my game repeatedly even reinstalling it multiple times on more than one machine got varied results every time. I won't touch another Battlefield game again even with somebody else's wallet after all that.

nekrosoft13
08-01-06, 01:10 PM
umm v-sync

what you are witnessing is tearing not stuttering

example
http://accelenation.com/graphics/content/tom.ghost.18.jpg

Rayman1968
08-01-06, 02:38 PM
Update soundcard drivers with the newest ones from Creative?
Yes. After my latest reformat about a month ago I tried the game before I even installed any sound drivers. Problem was still there.

Rayman could it be some weird latency you're seeing?
I don't think so. It's happened with every version of the game, even the demo. Also happens off-line in single player.

umm v-sync

what you are witnessing is tearing not stuttering
No, I know what v-sync tearing looks like. Already tried with and without v-sync. The problem is there in both cases.

The problem seems to happen when some objects come into view while looking around with the mouse. I noticed this once while looking at a radar installation. If I looked away until it was out of view and then moved the mouse to look at it again, for a split second the screen will freeze and then jump into place when it first comes into view. Seems to happen with some trees too.

This almost sounds like a RAM problem, but my 2 gigs of OCZ Platinum should run the game fine, and people with less RAM don't seem to have this problem (actually, I can't find anybody else who has this problem).

And it's ONLY BF2 that does this. Quake 4, FEAR, Prey, Call of Juarez demo.... no problems.

I'm at my wits end here....

Thanks for the replies though.

nekrosoft13
08-01-06, 03:29 PM
take a video of it

Rayman1968
08-01-06, 04:07 PM
take a video of it
What would be the best method to do this?

nekrosoft13
08-01-06, 04:46 PM
fraps

Rayman1968
08-01-06, 07:56 PM
I made a video with Fraps, it's an .avi file. I uploaded it to youtube but it said, "Failed, unsupported codec".

What's the deal with that?

nekrosoft13
08-01-06, 08:14 PM
fraps uses a weird codec, you will have to covert the movie to divx or xvid, check youtube to see what codecs they support

Jocomp10
08-01-06, 08:18 PM
I have the same problem, but I just assumed I didn't have enough memory.

Rayman1968
08-01-06, 08:24 PM
Ok, got it working on youtube. Even though it's much easier to see in-game, watch the satellite trailer and/or the trees to get a good look at what's going on. Keep in mind I'm moving the mouse at an even, slow speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlNnqWKRULU

Rayman1968
08-01-06, 08:25 PM
I have the same problem, but I just assumed I didn't have enough memory.
Really? So if you watch my video you have the same thing happening?

Jocomp10
08-02-06, 11:19 AM
Really? So if you watch my video you have the same thing happening?

Yeah That's exatcly how it looks on my PC, and it didn't do it before when I had a 6800gt and athlon XP 3200+ ocd.

Rayman1968
08-02-06, 11:20 AM
Yeah That's exatcly how it looks on my PC, and it didn't do it before when I had a 6800gt and athlon XP 3200+ ocd.

Odd.

nekrosoft13
08-02-06, 03:26 PM
i will check mine later, but i don't see anything out of ordinary

jcossin
08-03-06, 11:25 AM
I used to get those types of stutters until I upgraded my Audigy 2 ZS Gamer to a x-Fi Fatal1ty card.

Going from 1GB to 2GB was a big improvement for me in reducing stutters in that game, but I still had some util I got the new soundcard.

Jocomp10
08-03-06, 11:33 AM
I used to get those types of stutters until I upgraded my Audigy 2 ZS Gamer to a x-Fi Fatal1ty card.

Going from 1GB to 2GB was a big improvement for me in reducing stutters in that game, but I still had some util I got the new soundcard.

Hmm I'm thinking about getting the x-fi fatal1ty and 2gb of ram soon have to see if that improves the situation.

Rayman1968
08-03-06, 07:00 PM
Hmm I'm thinking about getting the x-fi fatal1ty and 2gb of ram soon have to see if that improves the situation.

What kind of sound card are you using now?

Jcossin's reply makes me suspicious of my Audigy Gamer. Maybe I'll pull it from the machine and see what happens.