PDA

View Full Version : Cellfactor Without Ageia

CDE_1246
07-30-06, 11:57 PM
Soooo 2 days ago i downloaded the older Cellfactor physx tech demo and i used the command in the icon directory Enablephysx=false to play it without the physx card and it actually ran pretty good and my processor handled the physics pretty well. Who else here has tried this neat little trick?

jAkUp
07-31-06, 12:05 AM
You don't get cloth or fluid effects though.

|MaguS|
07-31-06, 12:08 AM
You don't get cloth or fluid effects though.

becuse aegia forces it to only work with the hardware but it they didnt it would still be possible.

knghtwhosaysni
07-31-06, 12:19 AM
I had fluid effects on, and I don't think they really make too much of a difference. Of course, the only fluid that I know of is the blood, and that doesn't seem to spurt out that often. Cloth, on the other hand, instantly sent my fps to 1 or 2 if I look at it or anywhere near it.

CDE_1246
07-31-06, 07:20 PM
When i ran it no fluid came out like Jakup said but when i looked at the cloth it didnt even appear. Did any of u guys get good framerates? if so post them. I got like around 20-30 max

jolle
08-01-06, 05:32 AM
I had fluid effects on, and I don't think they really make too much of a difference. Of course, the only fluid that I know of is the blood, and that doesn't seem to spurt out that often. Cloth, on the other hand, instantly sent my fps to 1 or 2 if I look at it or anywhere near it.
The new demo keeps the cloth and fluids if you run without PPU then?
I wouldnt be supprised at that since without a equal load the No PPU path seems to run suprisingly well, so it would be in Ageias best interest to keep those simulations running when not using the PPU aswell..
Only tested with and without in the old demo before I had to return the sample card, and with my crummy old 6800GT there wasnt THAT much difference.. could be some GPU bottlenecking ofcource.

the fluids (blood and that blackhole vortex thing) and cloth dont really add much to the game, but at this stage it seems more like a techdemo then anything else.. Ive only seen 2008 as a release date for the game sofar.

Dr.Nick
08-01-06, 11:02 AM
You can disable the PPU and still have the cloth but like knghtwhosaysni said, once you look at it cpu usage jumps to 100% and the framerate drops to 2-4fps.
Check out this article; http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/07/19/is_ageias_physx_failing/page7.html