PDA

View Full Version : Power without CPU?

LycosV
07-31-06, 02:35 AM
I'm building a new Core 2 Duo based system to replace my dead computer and due to my inability to get a CPU for at least another week a question has arrisen:

Can I power on my computer without a CPU in the socket?
I know that the computer won't boot, but can I safely turn it on to at least ensure that my power supply and motherboard are working together? I'm guessing yes, it will just beep code at me. Am I correct in this or will it damage the motherboard? Thanks for the help.

crainger
07-31-06, 02:58 AM
I have had mixed results in turning PCs on without a CPU. Those that did power up wouldn't even post, but when a CPU was added they worked fine, so it didn't damage them. Other boards refused to power on at all. Once a CPU was added they worked fine.

I'm guessing if you try it won't damage the board if it powers on at all.

Roadhog
07-31-06, 02:58 AM
you can power it on, It shouldn't affect anything...

And it will just sit there and do nothing, no beeps or anything. :P

DataMatrix
07-31-06, 04:28 AM
I'm building a new Core 2 Duo based system to replace my dead computer and due to my inability to get a CPU for at least another week a question has arrisen:

Can I power on my computer without a CPU in the socket?
I know that the computer won't boot, but can I safely turn it on to at least ensure that my power supply and motherboard are working together? I'm guessing yes, it will just beep code at me. Am I correct in this or will it damage the motherboard? Thanks for the help.

Don't you DARE forget it's heart ;), haha only joking, it's safe to power up without any component. Not that it will work if you take a critical one out though of course :P.

LycosV
07-31-06, 01:40 PM
I didn't expect it to work, but if there aren't any beeps there's no reason to do it. Thanks guys.