PDA

View Full Version : appealing to the lowest common denomintator

ynnek
07-31-06, 07:07 PM
We've all bickered about games being "dumbed" down to appeal to the masses and the lowest common denominator.

But this is rediculous.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/721/721310p2.html

On the PC side of things, pets actually have life cycles and die, making it a "T" for teen and not "E" for everyone, like the console one.

So they took out death, so that the game on consoles can be rated for E for Everyone..

If a silly game like Sims 2 pets can't even go thru the release process unscathed.... then what hope do we have for any other more interesting games!! lmao :(

CaptNKILL
07-31-06, 07:11 PM
What the hell?

Didnt the pets in those little pocket sized "pet raising" games die if you didnt take care of them? Kids have been playing with those for 10 years and I've never seen someone suffer some horrible trauma because of them...

God damn... this is getting bad...

crainger
07-31-06, 07:17 PM
Well the problem Maxis and EA have with The Sims 2 is it is so popular with a wide audience. So its every move will be watched very closely. Si I'm guessing they will be very careful on the content they place in the game.

Also the console version and the PC version of Pets are two different games. The PC version is an expansion that adds Pets to the game. The console is a game focuses pretty much on only the pets. I think its more of a Nintendogs type of game aimed at a younger and a more casual audience.

I agree with the OP poster though. I feel this shouldn't really affect the games rating...

a12ctic
07-31-06, 07:17 PM
the gaming industry has, unfortunatly gone to hell, and its all because of mainstream attenchion...

GamerGuyX
07-31-06, 07:33 PM
the gaming industry has, unfortunatly gone to hell, and its all because of mainstream attenchion...

In other words: casual gamers

*shiver*

ynnek
07-31-06, 07:59 PM
In other words: casual gamers

*shiver*

*looks at GGX's tagline*

So, is that a case of bad indigestion? ;)

nutcrackr
07-31-06, 09:32 PM
lol, that's a classic

GamerGuyX
07-31-06, 09:40 PM
*looks at GGX's tagline*

So, is that a case of bad indigestion? ;)

Nothing that a healthy dose of fragging the n00bs can't fix. ;)

sillyeagle
07-31-06, 11:01 PM
That kid on the pic looks like he's about to club his dog with a stick. Maybe he's being attacked?