PDA

View Full Version : New Upgrades - Worth it?

nV`andrew
08-01-06, 12:29 AM
Hey guys, i need some of your uber 1337 advice :p

I'm going to be buying the BenQ FP202W 20.1" Widescreen LCD as mentioned before. Not sure when i buy it, but i know i will be very shortly. Possibly tomorrow or the next tuesday as they seem to go on sales then.

While im pulling out the money for the monitor, im thinking i should pull out another $100 for some more upgrades. (im youngzors so its a tight budget)

I've been overclocking my X2 here and there lately, and it has actually stayed at nice temps with stock HSF and running in Cool 'n Quiet. i can push it to 2.4ghz at the moment, but ive decided to keep it at 2.3ghz until i upgrade my cooling.

I'm interested in the Zalman CNPS9500 Blue LED 92mm CPU Cooler w/ heatsink. I like the idea of the blue led as i have blue leds and one of my 120mm TriCool's is blue led as well. It's $54 at newegg.

As for the VGA Cooler, im looking at the Zalman VF700 CU. It's $29 at the egg. Would it help me push my core maybe a bit further or up the voltage? And of course lower my temps. Just wondering if it would be a worthy upgrade over a stock 7900gt co superclocked cooler.

Temps:
GPU - 45-48C idle. Upper 50's full load
CPU - high 30's mid 40's idle - up to 50 full load

Specs:
eVGA nForce 4 SLi Mainboard
AMD Athlon X2 3800+ @ 2.3ghz
Corsair ValueSelect 2GB DDR400 at DDR430

Thanks for any help. If you would please suggest something else, that would be great. As long as its not any higher priced. Also, if you find the stuff im interested cheaper at, lets say tiger directo ZZF, links are welcome.

lee63
08-01-06, 12:46 AM
I have the 9500 and I love it, it looks and cools awsome, I just froogled the 9500 and thats the cheapest your gonna find it.

nV`andrew
08-01-06, 04:03 PM
Thanks lee thats good to hear. Anybody else got some input or antyhing?

ViN86
08-01-06, 04:19 PM
personally, im a thermalright fanboy. the XP-90, XP-90c, and XP-120 heatsinks coupled with a nice Panaflo fan would do a nice job.

however, extra cooling is definitely worth it imo. especially if you want to OC some more. if you want to OC more, id check into faster memory too. the OCZ PC4000 RAM i have now runs well and it was pretty cheap (i got mine for about $185)

Bearclaw
08-01-06, 06:19 PM
If you can, let us know how far your temps drop after you install the new CPU cooler. Thanks.

nV`andrew
08-01-06, 07:24 PM
personally, im a thermalright fanboy. the XP-90, XP-90c, and XP-120 heatsinks coupled with a nice Panaflo fan would do a nice job.

however, extra cooling is definitely worth it imo. especially if you want to OC some more. if you want to OC more, id check into faster memory too. the OCZ PC4000 RAM i have now runs well and it was pretty cheap (i got mine for about $185)

I heard that with the the thermal right's you have to mod or 'lap' the heatsink to fit. you have the same processor as me. (unless u changed after the last time ir read ur sig lol) did the installation go smooth? for under the price of what the 9500, could you give me a link or recommend which thermalright/panaflo combo to get? thank you

If you can, let us know how far your temps drop after you install the new CPU cooler. Thanks.

^ Sure thing. I'm quite interested myself, hope it will pay off.

EDIT: I think ill push this sytem a little more and then probably upgrade to OCZ or G.Skill in november or december. That's also when i'll decide to upgrade my graphics card or buy a second 7900. Thanks for the ram suggestion though, i know thats something i should focus on. i doubt ill buy a new motherboard(conroe/am2 etc) and everything near christmas, so i mgiht just upgrade to a 939 x2 4800+. another EDIT: Wow! they are only $355 at ZZF. god that is dirt cheap. thats hardly $30 more htan what i paid for my 3800 6 months ago

nV`andrew
08-02-06, 11:30 PM
okay on the monitor (its 20.1" widescreen and the resolution is near 1600x1200, a tiny bit lower) some guy said the monitor chugs in games, and sli is necessary. with just one 7900gt superclocked, will this be okay? i think the guy mustve been a bonehead...