PDA

View Full Version : New Mobo Setup

AssistM0nk
08-01-06, 12:51 AM
ok so i got a new mobo n graph card... they come in thursday, anything i should in preperation for this? like d/l drivers n such? should i uninstall old mobo n graph card drivers before or after installing new mobo n stuff? nething i should do in or to windows to prepare?

shungokusatsu
08-01-06, 12:56 AM
Depending on the board, you might have to format your pc. However, yes, d/l all drivers and be ready to flash the bios as well.

K007
08-01-06, 01:09 AM
Get all the stuff u need into a dvd..and keep adding stuff to it..

pretty much sp1/sp2..i dont use sp2 but i have it on the dvd..erm..all the drivers you can get..i cant be 100% sure but i think xp cant see more than 120gb..or 130gb something like that without sp1..you cauld just make a small partition like 40gb for os/program files like i do and dump the rest for games..u can install sp1 after instapping xp and it will see the new space..or you can 'slipstream' it.

Only thing to make sure is you get the latest drivers WHQL ones or the official ones on the site..first thing u wanna do with a new rig is to get it up and running..then screw arround with the drivers after :P

Aphot
08-01-06, 01:24 AM
Basically, when I'm going to build my new computer, I'm going to buy a new hard drive, and start up my system from scratch. Then transfer all my files back onto my new HDD then defrag it.

AssistM0nk
08-02-06, 12:13 AM
im pretty much just swappin out the mobo n graph card... i have 2 hard drives... and only have a cd burner no dvd burner... i shuold prolly get one tho how do i make a boot disk wit sp2 and all my drivers n such? or can i not do that without a dvd burner?

ViN86
08-02-06, 08:07 AM
im pretty much just swappin out the mobo n graph card... i have 2 hard drives... and only have a cd burner no dvd burner... i shuold prolly get one tho how do i make a boot disk wit sp2 and all my drivers n such? or can i not do that without a dvd burner?
well, swapping out the graphics card is simple (remember to use Drivercleaner if youre going from ATi to nVidia or vice versa). however, swapping the mobo is not as easy, and usually requires reinstalling windows

Xion X2
08-02-06, 11:21 AM
how do i make a boot disk wit sp2 and all my drivers n such? or can i not do that without a dvd burner?

Do you not have your original Windows install CD? If so you don't need to make a boot-disk. All you basically need to do is back up all files you don't want to lose. After you reformat your computer, you'll pop the Windows install CD in and it will go through the setup procedure.

Don't try and back up all of your game files--just your save games. Your registry will get all f#%@d up if you do that. You need to reinstall them after you've done a reformat and then move your saved games folders into the appropriate directories.

AssistM0nk
08-02-06, 04:50 PM
ok so what if i just transferred all my important files to my old hard drive n just install that to the mobo after i have windows on my newer hard drive? and ViN86 where do i get Drivercleaner?