PDA

View Full Version : MOH: Pacific Assault - worth it?

Pages : [1] 2

Gaco
08-01-06, 05:18 AM
I just got a cheap offer for Pacific Assault DVD edition, only 8$. Is it worth it? What did you think of the game?

K007
08-01-06, 05:22 AM
Is this the game where you cant have AA ><..cause i stopped playing one of the MOH games..cause..omg jaggies..JAGGIES!!

nekrosoft13
08-01-06, 06:14 AM
its a good shooter, but don't expect it to be another Call of Juarez or HL2

K007
08-01-06, 08:00 AM
I stopped playing it like 15 mins into the game...even cod2 is kinda boring..its like ive done it..i hope cod3 will be a more modern one i am not trying to be rude about the past or anything but..jeez..it does get boring after you play the samething over and over...plus..moh aa...JAGGIES OMG JAGGIES!!

Gaco
08-01-06, 08:39 AM
Ok looks like I'm gonna skip this one then.. I thought CoD2 was a little boring as well so it seems like the best choice :)

Fuku2
08-01-06, 08:50 AM
I thought they released a patch that allowed AA.
$8 is a good deal regardless.

http://www.3dgamers.com/dlselect/games/medalofhonor2/mohpa_1_0_to_1_2.txt

You have to enable through console or .ini file I guess:

Full Screen Anti-Aliasing (FSAA)

This patch allows you to turn on full-screen anti-aliasing. To turn it on you must modify the value of the following variable:

r_multisample_quality 0 - No multi-sampling
1 - 1 x multi-sampling
2 - 2 x multi-sampling
16 - 16 x mutli-sampling

The software will automatically degrade the value of r_multisample_quality to the highest possible value that your hardware is capable of. In order to see the results of this change you will need to exit the game and return. Once set, the value of this variable will be preserved.

The default value for r_multisample_quality is 0 or No multi-sampling.

S.I.N
08-01-06, 09:11 AM
Its more than worth it at $8. It didnt capture me like past MOH's but it was the most intense and got better as I played. I think many just dont like the fact it dealt with the Pacific.

stncttr908
08-01-06, 09:22 AM
It's worth $8. I played through it, and even though it ran like crap it had some extremely intense moments.

BioHazZarD
08-01-06, 10:44 AM
it sucked bigtime i wouldnt bother with this.

flukester
08-01-06, 11:43 AM
Junk.:thumbdwn:

MaXThReAT
08-01-06, 12:24 PM
I'm going to have to call shenanigans here. I didn't think Pacific Assault was bad. Don't you guys remember the opening sequence at Tarawa atoll and after with the drill Sgt, the squad commands and characters. I thought it was more fun than COD2. Manning than machine gun near the end while about a hundred enemies rush you. It has it's ups and downs but still fun. I started a new game about a month ago. Runs great at 1600x1200 W/the 16x multi-sampling. 36-72fps. You just add "set r_multisample_quality 1-16" to your C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\My Documents\EA Games\Medal of Honor Pacific Assault(tm) I always thought it was strange to be flying a plane in a FPS but it wasn't bad. 8 bucks, just get it man, it's worth 8 bucks.
Some reminders:
http://img490.imageshack.us/img490/4686/sgtly5.th.jpg (http://img490.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sgtly5.jpg)
http://img490.imageshack.us/img490/1827/pilejd3.th.jpg (http://img490.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pilejd3.jpg)
http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/2198/moreyellingpf2.th.jpg (http://img60.imageshack.us/my.php?image=moreyellingpf2.jpg)

stncttr908
08-01-06, 12:27 PM
^ What he said!

It's definitely worth $8 people.

johnkeel105
08-01-06, 12:37 PM
The game is excellent for singleplayer. I loved Pacific Assault for that and it runs good on the newer hardware of today. The graphics run with Shader Model 2.0 so it looks alot like Call of Duty and better in some of the jungle fighting. This is the only good game besides Battlefield 1942 where you fight the Japanese. The 1.2 patch as stated above fixes alot of problems and it add the option for Anti-Aliasing. I run mine at 4x and it looks great!!(nana2)

Once again this game is Jaggie Free if you use the FSAA command he listed!

LiquidX
08-01-06, 01:12 PM
I enjoyed the single player even though I felt multiplayer was way too big for its own good. The graphics were really ahead of there time so not many really got to experience the visuals because there hardware was not powerful enough. It outclassed alot of games in that department and still do. It's kind of shame they didnt get more credit for taking a chance with the other side of WWII. Its a great game and worth that $8. I think I will install it again.:)

flukester
08-01-06, 01:42 PM
Yeah look at their machine specs compared to the person posting.. Yeah sure, crank it up to 1600x1200 anything looks good..

Please. What was so amazing about MOH:PA??. References please..I just would like to know what areas of the SP game you found so great because it bored the ***** out of me and I quit it before I finished it and after seeing the MP I shelved it.

But considering you can get it for $8 it's not gonna bankrupt you..

MaXThReAT
08-01-06, 01:52 PM
The graphics were really ahead of there time so not many really got to experience the visuals because there hardware was not powerful enough. It outclassed allot of games in that department and still do. Its a great game and worth that $8. I think I will install it again.:)

Exactly, it was a demanding game. In many ways this game surpasses COD2 in the graphics dept. I think allot of people remember bad FPS, I remember running this on my 6800gt and it was fairly sad. But on today’s hardware this game really looks better than COD2. It's still a rail FPS but so is every single other FPS except for FarCry. You will not be disappointed.

References please..I just would like to know what areas of the SP game you found so great because it bored the ***** out of me and I quit it before I finished it and after seeing the MP I shelved it.But considering you can get it for $8 it's not gonna bankrupt you..

Defending Pearl Harbor in the boat with the fantastic water reflections while being bombed by the japs. Uhhh the airfield mission Duh, just spectacular with the fighters coming in. The dense ( like you ) jungles you get to fight in. Much better cinematics and in-game cut's than any other WWII shooter, THX 5.1 surround sound and a slew of Dx9 effects. Honestly a great game and should run pretty good on his hardware, X-Fi EAX3 and a 3Ghz with good ram. I will say MP sucked without a doubt but the SP is the best.

johnkeel105
08-01-06, 06:41 PM
First of all I don't run on 1600x1200. The game looks excellent at 1280x1024 with 2x AA. It is a very good game for singleplayer and well worth the $8 dollars. I paid $30 for the Directors Cut of it knowing noone played it online. It is one of the few games that shows the Pacific Theater rather realistic for a game.

Someone wanted to know how it is different then any other first person shooter. Well for one it has a squad-based system and it shows the feeling of brotherhood that developed among the soldiers. It is one of the only games to successfully cover the Pacific Theater with a bit of realism. It has a squad control system as well as a bandage system to stop bleeding after being bayoneted. To get health it has a medic you can call for as well.;)

As far at the graphics, it was ahead of its time as the poster mentioned above. It did not run well on older cards and did not back support hardware like Call of Duty 2 did. I still don't think the game has really started to show its age yet. At the time the FX series and many Geforce 6 series cards had trouble with it. ATI cards ran it fine because of better shader model support I belive.

flukester
08-01-06, 07:24 PM
I played it on an ATI card when I had it, stuck with it for well over a month even while the whole community walked away. Haven't had a thought about it since, but now with my 7600 maybe it will inspire me to check it out. I like WW2 games too and found COD more invigorating especially with the expansions.

But thanks for your thought provoking reply. :box:

K007
08-02-06, 04:53 AM
Ok looks like I'm gonna skip this one then.. I thought CoD2 was a little boring as well so it seems like the best choice :)

$8 is cheap..i agree..maybe buy it..but if u have played cod2..jeez..its just the same **** all over..gets so dam boring..i am already bored with cod2..i mean how many ways can you tell the dam war...move the game forward..like bf1942..bf2..bf2142.

Gaco
08-02-06, 05:37 AM
$8 is cheap..i agree..maybe buy it..but if u have played cod2..jeez..its just the same **** all over..gets so dam boring..i am already bored with cod2..i mean how many ways can you tell the dam war...move the game forward..like bf1942..bf2..bf2142.

Actually CoD2 would be interesting under certain circumstances: if I had the most expensive quad sli rig possible, X-Fi, a real highend 1600*1200 CRT monitor etc. I would be very cool I think. I just got these Sennheiser HD 595 headphones and the sound is sublime. Then CoD2 might be a little fun because you would really experience the war like war and not just a video game. As for now my PC can barely run it in 1024*768 and while I have an Xbox360 I have no HDTV - CoD2 is just such a simple, generic, basic shooter with no cool features apart from graphics and sound. It's just shoot shoot shoot.. *yawn* - even Doom3 was a lot more fun due to more interesting weaponry and story. Perhaps the pacific theatre would interest me a little more and I know there's also boat- and aircraft sequences and so on, but I think I'll just skip it anyway..

nekrosoft13
08-02-06, 06:41 AM
shooters are meant to be played on PC, i tried to play COD2 on xbox360 but teh controller ruined the whole fun aspects, i spend more time trying to aim, and look down on the controller, then actually enjoying the game.

Alaa
08-02-06, 06:42 AM
MoH allied assault is Better:D

flukester
08-02-06, 01:07 PM
I started playing Pacific Assualt last night just for kicks and because of the posts following mine. I agree, the movies and stuff are pretty damn good, definitely money in the movies so far watching the movies it's alright.

My problem is the graphics, they don't turn me on and actually are kind of dated to me and were dated to me back when I played it on my ATI. The eyes on the character however are some of the best I've seen in terms of realism. So I take away my junk comment and return to say, for $8, what the hell. Maybe you'll be turned on by the game/movies.

Seeing how there are literally no MP servers or people playing, SP is about all you have.

stncttr908
08-02-06, 01:14 PM
I'd imagine the same people who complain about the endless stream of WWII games have no problem playing Doom 3, Quake 4, Prey, etc., which are yawn inspiring.

johnkeel105
08-02-06, 04:31 PM
Looking back at what I have played thus far. Doom 3 impressed me with graphics and a tiny bit with gameplay that was old school. That quickly got old. I recently played the Prey demo and felt an instant rehash of Doom 3. So I won't get that.

Of all 3 games Quake 4 is my favorite because you fight with squads against the enemy. There is also a halfway decent storyline in there compared with Doom 3. Pacific Assault while a bit of a retread for WW2 interests me a bit more then all three of those games.