PDA

View Full Version : Questions About Upgrading to XP Pro Using a Linux File Server

BigPapi
08-01-06, 10:46 AM
I am going to be upgrading from XP Home to XP Pro and i have a couple questions concerning the upcoming migration.

Currently i have 10 computers usings Windows XP (Home Machines) and 1 Linux File Server. each User machine has two accounts:

- User (Connects to the file server using a SAMBA Account)
- Admin

* The windows and SAMBA accounts have matching account names and passwords. SAMBA acts as a bridge between the windows users and the shared resources on the file server.

Also, on the Linux File server, there are user groups set-up, which certain users belong to.

IE: When the file server shares a folder to the group "staff", the users in that staff group have access to it from their windows computers.

1. Will i run into any problems upgrading from Home to Pro and trying to get this setup the way i need it?
2. Is there anything special i will need to do?

Any help or links you guys can provide me will be very appreciated.

thanks

evilghost
08-01-06, 11:29 AM
Are you running your SAMBA file server as a PDC? Sounds to me like your Linux box is a PDC. Either way, you shouldn't have issues.

BigPapi
08-01-06, 12:03 PM
Are you running your SAMBA file server as a PDC? Sounds to me like your Linux box is a PDC. Either way, you shouldn't have issues.

Actually what i really need to know is if you can setup a domain controller with XP Pro and Linux and if there will be any problems in setting that up.

I'd like to be able to enforce password changes, but i need those password changes to then be reflected in the Samba accounts. Right now we log on locally and what i think we would like is to basically log on to the SAMBA account directly through a domain.

Can that be done and is there anything special that will need to be done.

evilghost
08-01-06, 12:09 PM
Make your Linux/SAMBA server into a PDC. Join the workstations to the domain in SAMBA and you'll have unified domain accounts with password policies/etc.