PDA

View Full Version : NTune strange behavior

yacoub
08-01-06, 05:35 PM
Okay I finally installed NTune. I noticed that in the monitor it shows my bus speeds 2Mhz over what they are set to in the BIOS. I also see it showing the CPU Voltage at 1.55V instead of the 1.40V I have it set to in the BIOS.

Does this mean that NTune is automatically mis-adjusting those items from what I have them set to in the BIOS? That could be dangerous and I will have to uninstall it if that is the case. I do not want a program that randomly re-adjusts my settings without me ever having told it to do anything at all.

Even worse, if I adjust it back down to 2000MHz from 2002 MHz, after rebooting it is back to the wrong setting again. :thumbdwn:

SH64
08-01-06, 06:54 PM
It could be nTune reading error.
whats your mobo ? & is it updated to latest BIOS ?

yacoub
08-01-06, 08:29 PM
Asus A8N-SLI Premium, fairly recent BIOS. I think 1008 or 1009.

squall_leonhart
08-02-06, 03:06 AM
HAHAHAHA lol

never mind about the Mhz, thats normal as Mhz isnt calculated by exact rounded off mhz.

my 2000+ which is said to have a 133mhz fsb and run at 1.66ghz really runs at 1.667 becoz the fsb is 133.5.

so dont worry about the 2mhz difference, its within the 2% +/-...
btw, stop being a git, 2mhz is nothing.. obviously you've never owned a computer before. or just don't know how they work.

hell even my duron 1100 hovers between 1099 and 1101.

ok, anyway, the voltage might be or might not be wrong. the cpu can usually determine when its undervoltaged... is the cpu supposed to be at 1.40?

yacoub
08-02-06, 05:36 AM
Yes, because I am concerned about why the program does not save changes after rebooting and why it cannot report the MHz properly (being off 2 MHz is more than a simple rounding error which would never be more than 1 MHz off), I am a "git" and must have never owned a computer before or don't know how they work. Really, if children like you are all that populate this forum I will be on my way. There are many other choices for more technical and helpful forums out there where people aren't personally attacked by kids with big egos. I've been building computers longer than you have - of that much you can rest assured.

squall_leonhart
08-02-06, 07:00 AM
im sorry but there is a margin of error with ALL cpu's

even the 2400+ which is said to operate at 2000mhz hovers between 1999 and 2002mhz.

a 2mhz difference IS NORMAL hell A 5MHZ DIFFERENCE IS NORMAL.

the way a mobo determines the clock speed is what matters.

sometimes my cpu is even read as 1.67 instead of 1.66 which is a good 10mhz off

AND IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PROGRAM.

even the AMD Cpu Detector program will show the speed as 2002. this is normal due to how clock frequencies are calculated. THEY ARE NOT A CONSTANT. CLOCKSPEEDS VARIATE, it is well documented.

obviously the fact you are putting this down to the program inclines that YOU ARE A GIT. as any knowledgable person ON ANY FORUM knows that clockspeeds are variable and not a constant.
the pulses a cpu outputs every second variate by a few mhz, so you can't make a cpu run at a set speed all the time.

all cpu's usually operate within a margin of 1-2%.

Riptide
08-02-06, 08:48 AM
Wow. I'm just not feelin' the love around here right now. What's with all the negative waves?? :angel:

squall_leonhart
08-02-06, 09:11 AM
i dislike those who think they know how stuff works, then when they are told otherwise once something is explained to them they still try to tell me that its not suppsoed to work that way.

i know how clock cycles work, it was covered in IT2, which i graduated and now hold a certificate for.. which i can use to go onto IT3 or 4. depending on whether i wish to become a programmer network engineer or hardware engineer....

due to the way a processor works, clockspeed will never be a constant value and there is a .5 - 1 difference in the FSB timer.

this means that the main cpu clock can go from being 1mhz over the rated speed to 10- above the rated speed.

as i said before my cpu is meant to be 1660

sometimes it is 1667 due to the fsb going from 133 - 133.5.
sometimes it reaches 1670 if the fsb goes to 134.

this is normal behavior for ANY processor, including GPU's SPU's MPU's and those little 10mhz chips in calculators.

electrical behavior doesnt work on constants.

jabloomf1230
08-02-06, 11:27 AM
nTune has so many bugs that I am beginning to believe that it is a virus.

squall_leonhart
08-02-06, 11:40 AM
the clockspeed thing is not a bug.

the voltage thing probably isnt even a bug... its probably a different voltage

jabloomf1230
08-02-06, 05:02 PM
the clockspeed thing is not a bug.

the voltage thing probably isnt even a bug... its probably a different voltage

I was making a general comment about the non-beta nTune 5.08. While I expect that a piece of software that supports so many motherboards might not work quite right for everyone all the time, it seems like the consensus is that between the random lockups and the actual system values being displayed wrong, one doesn't get a sense of confidence that the software really does anything useful. I for one, only do CPU/RAM OCing via the BIOS as I have long learned my lesson using the Windows based OCing tools. At least nTune doesn't actually mess with the CMOS BIOS settings, so the worst it can do is lock the computer up. At least that's what nVidia says.

squall_leonhart
08-03-06, 12:56 AM
Ntune has a compatibility list, as some mainboards don't use standard detection circuits

for example, my asus a7n8x deluxe has 3 winbond circuits which aren't even active (with them i get 0rpm and 0c readins for my temps and fans)

this is becoz the board has Asus's own circuits for fanspeed and temp detection.

strangely, i've been able to use the Ntune 5.0 beta's pretty well.. some features don't work but thats becoz my board doesn't support them.

keep in mind that Ntune 5.0 was made with the nforce 5xx boards in mind.

SLippe
08-03-06, 05:08 PM
Wow. I'm just not feelin' the love around here right now. What's with all the negative waves?? :angel:
He can't help it, he's always like that. He's about to join zelda_fan on my ignore list.

squall_leonhart
08-03-06, 05:40 PM
He can't help it, he's always like that. He's about to join zelda_fan on my ignore list.

you will find i don't give a crap.

btw.. i'll take it you've never worked help desk to an isp or hardware related company....

yacoub
08-04-06, 05:53 AM
Actually, I worked for a company that found work for people like you.
Well, that's not entirely true - I wouldn't have placed someone with your attitude.
Also, helpdesk was the bottom end of the folks we worked with. Most folks were software developers, business analysts, network engineers, software engineers, project managers, IT directors, system and software architects, senior QA testers, etc.
You really don't know who you're talking to here, so you might want to consider again losing the attitude.

squall_leonhart
08-04-06, 06:22 AM
obviously, you don't know who your talking to, you insignificant little twat.

come back here when you have a quarter of an idea of how clock frequencies and electrothermal resistance works.

i wouldn't work for tech support becoz then i'd get calls frm idiots like yourself 24/7 asking why thier cpu is 2mhz over thier clock speed.

stop being an uptight twat and get over it.
A. your system is stable
B. theres no way to force the cpu to run at 2000mhz.
C. Ntune is a pos anyway.

nuff said. when i called you a git earlier, i was not implying any rudeness on you, i was meaning it in a friendly gesture, as i talk to alot of my friends like that. if you want proof of that you should ask Bigirb2002, hes my angry white brother who is actually black,

meh.

nekrosoft13
08-04-06, 06:41 AM
ntune is no where near being perfect

just take a look here
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73450&highlight=ntune

mine goes nuts from time to time

HighTest
08-04-06, 11:20 AM
Just thought I'd post my problem and dissatisfaction with the current nTune.

Currently it shows my speeds and voltages correctly. What it won't do is display the temps at all and the fan speeds are totally wacked.

For example, my CPU fan is over 38176 RPM and my System fan is 18 RMP, of course from the Health monitor in BIOS they show the correct speeds.

In addition, all previous versions did work correctly and showed temps right.

What happened? I've uninstalled and reinstalled several times, so it appears to be a bug unique to this version.

If there is any corelation you can checkout my system specs in my sig.

Hopefully they fix this soon as I've enjoyed nTune in the past.

j0j081
08-05-06, 07:47 AM
getting heated up in here.

tieros
08-05-06, 12:00 PM
Yup, I'm also seeing serious issues with nTune when overclocking.

At stock clocks, the nTune monitor shows my RAM at 400MHz as a green bar indicating no overclocking. Then I overclocked the CPU from 2GHz to 2.4GHz and changed the RAM divisor from CPU/10 to CPU/12 to keep the RAM at 400MHz. nTune then displays the bar in the monitor in bright red as extremely overclocked at 398MHz.

They'll get it right eventually :D

j0j081
08-08-06, 06:16 AM
Yup, I'm also seeing serious issues with nTune when overclocking.

At stock clocks, the nTune monitor shows my RAM at 400MHz as a green bar indicating no overclocking. Then I overclocked the CPU from 2GHz to 2.4GHz and changed the RAM divisor from CPU/10 to CPU/12 to keep the RAM at 400MHz. nTune then displays the bar in the monitor in bright red as extremely overclocked at 398MHz.

They'll get it right eventually :D
I don't know it seems to work fine on my lousy system. I was only using it to help with some on the fly benchmarking though.