PDA

View Full Version : I Just Want To Die.. Quad Core

Venous
08-01-06, 07:27 PM
i waited to the Core2 chips, and now i see that, i want to die! just die!, i dont know if to buy a pc or not, ahhhhhhhhh!!!

http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-6096192.html?part=rss&tag=6096192&subj=news

Redshirt #24
08-01-06, 10:41 PM
I bought an X1800XT literally right before the X1900XT came out. I feel your pain. :(

nukem
08-01-06, 11:23 PM
heh I was about to buy the new Intel Duo Core 2 for college but after talking to some professors im sticking with my old IBM Thinkpad T40(1.5ghz Centrino). Ill be getting a new laptop just in time for this and the nvidia 8 series to come out though. hehehe. This actually made me feel good.

superklye
08-01-06, 11:40 PM
Dual core is still, arguably, unnecessary.

And you're worried about quad core coming out? Why? Are you planning on running an enterprise-level datacenter?

Zelda_fan
08-02-06, 12:40 AM
You can never have the best in computers. Never. They'll always be something to top it. Just get something that has enough power for your needs and be happy.

-=DVS=-
08-02-06, 12:41 AM
Wouldn't Quad core overclock much less then Dual core !? for todays game OC Dual Core might be better.

ynnek
08-02-06, 01:36 PM
I made a post about this before, but I think a quad core would make the ultimate HTPC..

WIth quad cores, it would have more then enough power to serve do HTPC work(record HD vid, sharing, streaming, transcode) all in the backgorund, whle being about to play the latest games without any slowdown. One computer to do it all.

Also, if you think about it, with the bitrate of HD video.. and the amount of sharing people want to do to other computer's and tv's in their house and to their friends, that a serious amount of data to be shuffling around. data arrays may become more mainstream!

JayG30
08-02-06, 01:56 PM
i'd have to agree this will be somewhat useless for most. Those running servers and such will be the people benefiting the most.

My question is will this mean a new socket? Or will they use the same 775 socket that we are using for the core 2 duo? I remember reading something about how Intel plans to keep it the same but taht could be wrong. I hope they do so it will only require a processor upgrade instead of an entire overhaul.

superklye
08-02-06, 03:38 PM
Intel ALWAYS says they plan to keep it the same so that people don't have to buy a new mobo and usually what happens is one of two things:

1. It stays the same but most of the old mobos won't work with the new cores so people have to buy a new mobo

2. The socket changes

Amazing how it always seems to work like that...and what's even more amazing (<-- sarcasm) is who owns the chipsets... :rolleyes2

nemecb
08-02-06, 03:57 PM
Amazing how it always seems to work like that...and what's even more amazing (<-- sarcasm) is who owns the chipsets... :rolleyes2
That's an awfully cynical view. Are you saying Intel would change sockets just to make more money?;)

Neophyte
08-02-06, 04:09 PM
I just want to DIE and buy an 42'' Plasma TV........ Ohh wait i'm going to. As for the processor part euhmmm i'll wait till vista come's out and make good use of AMd's X2 Processors... and wait a few more years untill i Upgrade :p No point in upgrading your CPU unless you work for a big company that doesn't play game's.

a12ctic
08-02-06, 04:55 PM
just get a uber cheap X2 and be done with it for the next couple years

Venous
08-02-06, 07:52 PM
any way, i can allways change my processor.

Bearclaw
08-02-06, 11:02 PM
You can never have the best in computers. Never. They'll always be something to top it. Just get something that has enough power for your needs and be happy.

So true. There will always be better parts out there for people to upgrade to..unless your jaKup and you have everything..:D I have a AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (which I bought before the price cuts..grr.) and I am very pleased with it. I am going to move to dual core eventually but it will be a while. Who knows. :p

Hordsak
08-04-06, 11:20 AM
The more cores, the crappier the overclock. Plain and simple. Maybe one core will overclock 800mhz, while you have one that will only oc 200mhz. This is marketing genius by Intel. This way, the enthusiast will have to purchase the higher clocked more expensive cpu's instead of buying a bargain chip and getting almost guaranteed massive overclocks... unless the cores they use are all of very high quality. Quad core? I'd like it.

nemecb
08-04-06, 11:30 AM
This way, the enthusiast will have to purchase the higher clocked more expensive cpu's instead of buying a bargain chip and getting almost guaranteed massive overclocks... unless the cores they use are all of very high quality.
And probably not even then. Regardless of how high quality the cores are you're still going to have some serious heat to deal with having four cores on a single die. I suppose people with phase cooling or something will be fine, but it seems like overclocking on air is going to get very difficult.

XServer
08-09-06, 05:46 PM
no need to invest in quad core yet games won't even support it there no point unless you are running a server or do lots of programing would be a waste of money, noone will ever have the best for a long period of time thert always going to be something else even thought intel new processor is a good buy just because it outperfom the amd lineup by far buy using shorter pipelines, not because it quad core.

Bman212121
08-09-06, 10:31 PM
The more cores, the crappier the overclock. Plain and simple. Maybe one core will overclock 800mhz, while you have one that will only oc 200mhz. This is marketing genius by Intel. This way, the enthusiast will have to purchase the higher clocked more expensive cpu's instead of buying a bargain chip and getting almost guaranteed massive overclocks... unless the cores they use are all of very high quality. Quad core? I'd like it.

I don't mean to be rude but you couldn't be more WRONG! The pentium D805 and the new conroes are both dual cores and guess what, they are giving some of the best overclocking that I've ever seen.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores/
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=445167&page=2&highlight=805

I'm sure you can find plenty of conroe data floating around atm, but I've been reading that people are getting about the same numbers, around 4GHZ, which is over 50% overclocks on the PD805 and the E6600.