PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo wii specs?

Mr_LoL
08-02-06, 02:49 AM
Dont really know how credible it is but it looks right if the rumours are true.

Source: [Maxconsole (http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=8802)]

Peoples-Agent
08-02-06, 02:54 AM
Only thought that comes to mind when reading the specs for this thing.....
"Awwwww" LoL

Not impressed whatsoever.

jAkUp
08-02-06, 02:55 AM
Not all that impressive, but really did any of you expect it to be impressive spec wise? We all knew that it was only a notch above the original XBox.

Of course it will be unimpressive graphics quality wise, but I really don't think anyone is going to buy a Wii for its graphics quality.

The Wii does not appeal to me in the slightest because I am pretty much a graphics wh0re, but for other people it may be perfect.

Mr_LoL
08-02-06, 03:02 AM
The price in the UK is rumoured to be about 150 which is damn cheap. I think Nintendo will sell a load of them. My priority though is getting the ps3 though.

Peoples-Agent
08-02-06, 03:02 AM
Not all that impressive, but really did any of you expect it to be impressive spec wise? We all knew that it was only a notch above the original XBox.

Of course it will be unimpressive graphics quality wise, but I really don't think anyone is going to buy a Wii for its graphics quality.

The Wii does not appeal to me in the slightest because I am pretty much a graphics wh0re, but for other people it may be perfect.

Again, as always... another system made that's great for the kiddies.

jAkUp
08-02-06, 03:06 AM
Yea, I think the worst specs about the Wii is the memory bandwith and system memory....

I suppose this is the reason that Wii will be limited to 480p, it will likely be very limited on the texture resolutions as well, I suspect that cross platform games will need much lower texture resolutions than their XB360/PS3 counterparts.

jolle
08-02-06, 04:21 AM
Not very suprising no, I remember getting a Quake1 vibe from the textures upclose in the Zelda demo on E3.
Seems pretty much like a slighly beefed up Gamecube, and they had some problems unloading those if I remember right..
lets se if the new controller, and the games it powers can make the Wii more popular then its predecessor.

Ninjaman09
08-02-06, 10:27 AM
What will make Wii more popular than Gamecube is a strong marketing campaign, which Nintendo seems to be actually pursuing for once. Game-library wise, there will be plenty for everyone on this system. And personally it doesn't offend my ego to play Zelda or Mario games, which I still find far more enjoyable than yet another first person shooter (a genre which I have lost all interest in).

Edge
08-02-06, 11:43 AM
I'm pretty sure this has already been proven fake, there's a lot of problems with those specs and look to be mostly based on the old IGN article of the earlier dev kits. We probably won't even know the real specs until someone gets their hands on the console and rips it out themselves, or until a developer gets the final dev kit and spills the beans on it.

Still, it's pretty obvious at this point that the Wii will mostly just be a beefed up Gamecube. It's more or less a system designed for the controller, and then all the other stuff is just extras. Not to mention the games so far look rather unimpressive, if the thing really is more powerful than an Xbox, it hasn't shown it yet.

Monolyth
08-02-06, 12:26 PM
I'm not buying the Wii for graphics, I'm buying it for the gameplay. Sure the specs may be weak, but there's two huge things that really excite me when it comes to the Wii.

1. Sword/Saber battles, omg yes!
2. Old games!

Those two alone are worth 250 bux ;)

PeterJensen
08-02-06, 12:31 PM
yay i just got a new 42" LCD HDTV, and the ****ing thing dont even run in 720p, what a waste of console.

PeterJensen
08-02-06, 12:32 PM
I'm pretty sure this has already been proven fake, there's a lot of problems with those specs and look to be mostly based on the old IGN article of the earlier dev kits. We probably won't even know the real specs until someone gets their hands on the console and rips it out themselves, or until a developer gets the final dev kit and spills the beans on it.

Still, it's pretty obvious at this point that the Wii will mostly just be a beefed up Gamecube. It's more or less a system designed for the controller, and then all the other stuff is just extras. Not to mention the games so far look rather unimpressive, if the thing really is more powerful than an Xbox, it hasn't shown it yet.

Well the controller can be fund like hell, but i dont want to look at crappy gfx.

Mr_LoL
08-02-06, 12:38 PM
Well the controller can be fund like hell, but i dont want to look at crappy gfx.

Thats fair enough but what about games like Mario kart and Mario tennis? Cracking games in my opinion. I will wait for my mate to buy it and then go play his.

Zelda_fan
08-02-06, 01:05 PM
First off, these specs are made up rumors.

Second off, I don't really give a crap about "low-resolution textures" and bs like that. I generally find the art direction much more important to my enjoyment of a game. I prefer WoW's graphics to EQ2 any day of the week. EQ2 probably has higher polycounts and higher resolution textures, but the art direction in WoW blows Everquest out of the water.

Take a look at Twilight Princess. The textures aren't super crisp, and it will only run in 480p, but the art direction is superior to just about any game I've seen to date. And this is a Wii launch title that will run on the gamecube.... Imagine what they can do with a year or two's developement experience.

Animation is another important "graphics" feature for me. Sure, people rave about how photorealistic farcry looked, but see it in motion, and the animations and sound effects look like a two year old did them. Let me give you another clue, Oblivion's animations aren't that great either.

In short, I would rather have superior art direction and animation than higher resolution and polycount. And the Wii is just as capeable as the XBOX360 in that respect.

Zelda_fan
08-02-06, 01:10 PM
And personally it doesn't offend my ego to play Zelda or Mario games, which I still find far more enjoyable than yet another first person shooter (a genre which I have lost all interest in).

I have to say I agree. First person shooters is a dead genre in my opinion. Once in a while you'll have a game like Doom3 or FEAR that'll come shake things up a tad, but even still, it's basically the same old same old.

jolle
08-02-06, 02:14 PM
Second off, I don't really give a crap about "low-resolution textures" and bs like that. I generally find the art direction much more important to my enjoyment of a game. I prefer WoW's graphics to EQ2 any day of the week.
It was just a observation on my part, it isnt necessarily a bad thing.
I also prefer WOW and its artstyle, it doesnt strive for realism, so it doesnt look "off"..
Anyhow, the Wii is alot weaker then the competition, thats old news and that isnt necessarily bad either, its dirty cheap and the games could be fun none the less.
Everyone cant buy a 600 dollar console and a huge HDTV to get the most out of it..

ENU291
08-02-06, 02:15 PM
I also prefer WOW and its artstyle, it doesnt strive for realism, so it doesnt look "off"..
Anyhow, the Wii is alot weaker then the competition, thats old news and that isnt necessarily bad either, its dirty cheap and the games could be fun none the less.
Everyone cant buy a 600 dollar console and a huge HDTV to get the most out of it..
QFT!

thor1182
08-02-06, 03:45 PM
There should be no surprise about the power of the Wii, I mean look at the box they are going to put it in, its too small to put anything that is too much better than the GC.

Personally i like the art in City of Heroes/Villians over WoW, but it takes alot more power to play CoX over WoW.

Zelda_fan
08-03-06, 01:19 AM

Just becasue the Wii dosen't have the computer horsepower, dosen't make it "weaker" than the competition. It's all about the games. Zelda OOT is my favorite game to date, and graphically it is considered terrible by today's standards.

For example, I liked Baldur's Gate II more than Oblivion, yet I can run BGII on a 300MHZ Pentium II. It was just a better game imho. It's more about what developers will support the Wii, and the way they are able to take advantage of the controller, not the horsepower. The DS is living proof of this. Right now the DS is killing the PSP in sales becasue of it's killer game lineup, and it is obviously a weaker system technologically.

Peoples-Agent
08-03-06, 02:20 AM
Just becasue the Wii dosen't have the computer horsepower, dosen't make it "weaker" than the competition. It's all about the games. Zelda OOT is my favorite game to date, and graphically it is considered terrible by today's standards.

For example, I liked Baldur's Gate II more than Oblivion, yet I can run BGII on a 300MHZ Pentium II. It was just a better game imho. It's more about what developers will support the Wii, and the way they are able to take advantage of the controller, not the horsepower. The DS is living proof of this. Right now the DS is killing the PSP in sales becasue of it's killer game lineup, and it is obviously a weaker system technologically.

Just the thing, depends what your taste in games is about.
I don't like anything platform or cartoony, so that pretty much rules me out of ever buying anything Nintendo. One thing I do like about the Wii it will encourage fat kids to get off their ass and MOVE. That can only be a good thing.

jolle
08-03-06, 05:42 AM
Just becasue the Wii dosen't have the computer horsepower, dosen't make it "weaker" than the competition.
I was ofcource talking hardwarewise, and that makes less horsepower = weaker.
If I wasnt, it WOULD be a bad thing..

thor1182
08-03-06, 08:13 AM
But lets not gloss over Nintendo's wonderful history withe dev support with their N64, becuase they thing had all sort of games come out for it...

Firewarrior
08-04-06, 12:43 AM
I might buy due to its Gameplay Idealism but would probably buy then give it to my litle brother and play it a bit sometimes

Same Im getting the PS3

Im just not a Xbox kinda guy nothing against MS just dont want to buy it :D