PDA

View Full Version : n00b SLI/GX2 question

Greeno
08-02-06, 03:47 AM
Hi guys,

This might sound a bit dumb, but i'm an Intel man through and through, so I'm not all that interested in SLI :)

Anyway...

When the Forceware drivers have a "profile" as it were for SLI... or to make the GX2 go faster... do you actually need to do anything to apply it? or just the fact there is a profile for xxxxxx.exe it will automatically work if you play that game?

Cheers

squall_leonhart
08-02-06, 05:13 AM
the profile will automaticlly apply when the game starts.

SH64
08-02-06, 04:14 PM
Yep what squall said.

BTW i dont see what being an Intel fan has to do with SLI ?? there are several Intel chipset boards that come with SLI support .. known as "SLI Intel Edition" or something similar.
anyways .. whatever floats your boat! :)

Greeno
08-03-06, 08:57 AM
Yeah, I perhaps should have said... Intel Fan Boy - Using only genuine Intel boards :)

D875PBZ, D915PGNL, D925XECV2, D955XBK and now a D975XBX :) my last 5 boards heh... Hence no SLI :)

But hey! I've got Conroe ;)

heatlesssun
08-03-06, 08:20 PM
Yeah, I perhaps should have said... Intel Fan Boy - Using only genuine Intel boards :)

D875PBZ, D915PGNL, D925XECV2, D955XBK and now a D975XBX :) my last 5 boards heh... Hence no SLI :)

But hey! I've got Conroe ;)

Yeah, but if you're into gaming, Conroe is only half the puzzle, you need GPU power to match.

Actually, even a "lowly" AMD X2 system could beat an X6800 Conroe in some games with QUAD SLI, assuming that the Conore was not a QUAD SLI system.

My guess is with the AMD/ATI merger is that you'll see an SLI Intel board in the near future. Would only make sense.

Greeno
08-04-06, 03:34 AM
Agreed, I've got a GX2 though, I score 8000+ in 3DM06 as it is (I think), thats plenty sufficient for my gaming needs. :)

I believe the Intel Chipset/SLI capability talks are underway!

K007
08-04-06, 04:52 AM
If you wanna compare the gfx power..always look at the individual scores in 3dmark06..cpu score adds a pretty big boost to the overall score...i score arround 3k less than others with my gx2 thanks to my cpu score bieng arround 800ish~..while the rest of my scores are on par..

Greeno
08-04-06, 05:23 AM
A very valid point, I'm fortunate enough to do what I do for a living though to be honest, I'm given samples of everything to get it into magazines for review. None of which, as a company, we give back.

So I end up with loads of free stuff :)

SH64
08-04-06, 01:36 PM
A very valid point, I'm fortunate enough to do what I do for a living though to be honest, I'm given samples of everything to get it into magazines for review. None of which, as a company, we give back.

So I end up with loads of free stuff :)
Well then ... send some to me :D

HighTest
08-04-06, 01:47 PM
Being an iNtel chipset fan and also being an SLI fan may seem exclusive to each camp at the moment, but there are rumours that this will change.

If that happens, nVIDIA policy change that is, then all existing multi-PEG (PCI-E Graphics slot that is either x8 or x16 channels) will be capable of sporting SLI.

One will need to wait and see if this is reality or not, but that's all that's preventing the capability is the nVIDIA policy. Once that changes nForce chipset detection = true will no longer be in the drivers.